UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   Guitar Techniques (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   tap harmonic (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1577439)

danyal92 12-11-2012 03:41 PM

tap harmonic

im working on the "beat it" solo. but i just cant get the tapp harmonics even close to eddy van halen. i have an ibanez rg370dx with a boss me25 and a marshal mg15fx. is the problem in my technique? or should i get better guitar pickups?

Pierre-Claude 12-11-2012 04:50 PM

None of the above. Better gear.

Edit: You should get a tube amp and an overdrive and try again. The metalzone is not praised around here.

Sakke 12-11-2012 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre-Claude

Edit: You should get a tube amp and an overdrive and try again. The metalzone is not praised around here.

Well, I wouldn't outline his technique cause I've never heard him play.
However, otherwise you're right. You wouldn't do any pickups justice with that gear. Maybe you should try to get a better amplifier and then try to record it somehow, even for just your own use. Then you can hear where you make the mistake. Though, I don't find tapped harmonics to be too hard... It takes time to get used to tap them out on the fretboard, but once you've got that, it's pretty simple. Tapping multiple strings is another thing.

Junior#1 12-11-2012 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre-Claude

Um....No.

Once you know how to do tapped harmonics, gear has very little to do with it.

It's most likely just a technique/lack of practice issue.

Sakke 12-11-2012 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junior#1
Um....No.

Once you know how to do tapped harmonics, gear has very little to do with it.

It's most likely just a technique/lack of practice issue.

Aye, I agree with you wholeheartedly, but good gear never hurts.. Or well, it does when you get it and you realize that you suck more than you thought you did (the time I upgraded from a Line 6 to a better amp).

Jyrgen 12-11-2012 05:10 PM

If your technique is alright you can do tapped harmonics without being plugged in. I believe it's your technique.

danyal92 12-11-2012 05:20 PM

as for my technique? i tap 12 fret upwards, not that aggresively on the fret wire. thats pretty much it right? btw thanks for the responses guys u all are very helpful

Nameless742 12-11-2012 05:30 PM

He has the gear required for tap harmonics. A guitar. An Amp with distortion.
I don't tap the harmonic, I just play the note then touch the string 12 frets above. Does the same job to me.

helltothee 12-11-2012 05:36 PM

To be fair, you can play tap harmonics on acoustics and classicals. Distortion just makes them louder and more obvious. You need to know how to do them, dude.