UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   Guitar Gear & Accessories (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Find me a chorus pedal :) (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1578156)

falcon1439 12-16-2012 09:32 AM

Find me a chorus pedal :)

I want a chorus that can nail the start of Rooster by Alice in Chains tone. However, it has to have a level knob, so that I can adjust the volume. My budget is around 120 and I live in the UK. Thanks guys :D

gerraguitar 12-16-2012 09:44 AM

if you didn't include the level control I would've said check out the small clone, i just parted with my boss chorus and got one and I'm really digging the tone, i will recommend going with an analog chorus over digital, it's warmer and can get the 90s alt sound pretty well

falcon1439 12-16-2012 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerraguitar
if you didn't include the level control I would've said check out the small clone, i just parted with my boss chorus and got one and I'm really digging the tone, i will recommend going with an analog chorus over digital, it's warmer and can get the 90s alt sound pretty well

Yeah the thing is that the level control is a must for me because rolling down the guitars volume reduces gain and volume (obviously!) so I want to boost the volume when the volume of my guitar is down. Hope that made sense :)

Charvel1995 12-16-2012 10:15 AM

TC Electronic Corona Chorus?

it runs about $135 CAD, so that equals about $85 GBP

Considerably under your budget, ans you can get toneprints from the TC website, I would imagine someone did one for AIC

EDIT: Didn't notice it had to have a Volume knob. Forget my suggestion in that case. But you could just get a volume pedal/clean boost pedal as well and just engage it when you need to.

MaggaraMarine 12-16-2012 10:43 AM

I'm not sure if you can boost the level with a volume knob in a chorus pedal. The volume knob is usually just a mix knob (between "dry" and "wet" signal). So if you turn it up, you'll only hear the chorus, you won't hear any dry sound. And when you turn it down, you will only hear your guitar sound and no chorus.

If you want to have the same level all the time, compressor can do that.

Linkerman 12-16-2012 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerraguitar

Yep, i did the same... Sold my Boss CH-1 Super Chorus and bought an Electro-Harmonix Small Clone.

It's perfect for that kind of 90's alternative rock/metal sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggaraMarine
I'm not sure if you can boost the level with a volume knob in a chorus pedal. The volume knob is usually just a mix knob (between "dry" and "wet" signal). So if you turn it up, you'll only hear the chorus, you won't hear any dry sound. And when you turn it down, you will only hear your guitar sound and no chorus.

If you want to have the same level all the time, compressor can do that.

This is correct. You can't boost the level with the volume knob in a chorus pedal.

So if you don't need the dry/wet mix control, just go for the EHX Small Clone. It's one of the best chorus pedals out there.

NakedInTheRain 12-16-2012 11:10 AM

there aren't that many choruses with level knobs out there.

and by not that many, i mean that i've never seen one.

Linkerman 12-16-2012 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NakedInTheRain
there aren't that many choruses with level knobs out there.

and by not that many, i mean that i've never seen one.

There are quite a few. Boss', MXR's, Behringer's, DOD's, Digitech's and Hardwire's chorus pedals, for a quick example, all have level knobs.

However, as said before, they control the mix between dry and wet signal, and not the signal output level.

NakedInTheRain 12-16-2012 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linkerman
There are quite a few. Boss', MXR's and Hardwire's chorus pedals, for a quick example, all have level knobs.

However, as said before, they control the mix between dry and wet signal, and not the signal output level.

yeah, that's called a blend knob. level is literally a volume cut or boost.

Linkerman 12-16-2012 11:18 AM

Quote:
yeah, that's called a blend knob. level is literally a volume cut or boost.

I'm sure TS was referring to the level knob found on those pedals i mentioned, which can be argued that are mislabeled. :shrug:

To be more clear, since the way i explained myself can be misunderstood:
- You are right, there aren't any chorus pedals with true level knobs (at least, that i know of);
- There are some pedals with the mix control knobs labeled as "level";
- TS wants a chorus pedal with a true level knob, but i think he's talking about the "mislabeled knobs".

NakedInTheRain 12-16-2012 11:22 AM

he said he wanted to adjust the volume...

Linkerman 12-16-2012 11:26 AM

Quote:
he said he wanted to adjust the volume...

This is what i was afraid of and edited my previous post for, please check it out.

Dempsey68 12-16-2012 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon1439
Yeah the thing is that the level control is a must for me because rolling down the guitars volume reduces gain and volume (obviously!) so I want to boost the volume when the volume of my guitar is down. Hope that made sense :)

i too have a small clone and think the world of it!

could you not possibly get a small clone and a boost pedal??

falcon1439 12-16-2012 01:31 PM

To people that are saying boost pedal I just can't be bothered with tap dancing my pedals on and off.
Regarding the level discussion, the chorus on my zoom G3 has a mix and level knob, so I thought that a stompbox would have the same controls.

Charvel1995 12-16-2012 02:24 PM

^ Not all stompboxes do.

Boost Pedal and another chorus pedal seems like your best option. If you can't be b othered to turn two pedals on and off, just stick with the G3

&baconstrips 12-16-2012 04:39 PM

VFE choral reef chorus has an internal trimpot for output gain, but it's over your budget at $179 from jet city music. http://www.vfepedals.com/choral-reef.html

dj1991 12-17-2012 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charvel1995
TC Electronic Corona Chorus?

it runs about $135 CAD, so that equals about $85 GBP

Considerably under your budget, ans you can get toneprints from the TC website, I would imagine someone did one for AIC

EDIT: Didn't notice it had to have a Volume knob. Forget my suggestion in that case. But you could just get a volume pedal/clean boost pedal as well and just engage it when you need to.

I like your suggestion for the Corona Chorus, and I second it. The FX level acts more like an overall volume rather than a wet volume.

Also tone prints don't work the way you said. The community does not supply them. TC electronics goes out to these guitar players and gets them to create a tone print for how they would use a particular effect (chorus, Delay, Flanger, and reverb). Unless Jerry Cantrell was contacted by TC Electronics, there is no "Alice in Chains" Tone print.

But don't let that stop you from getting the Corona Chorus. It's in my opinion the best sounding digital Chorus, with the best feature set.

Charvel1995 12-17-2012 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj1991
I like your suggestion for the Corona Chorus, and I second it. The FX level acts more like an overall volume rather than a wet volume.

Also tone prints don't work the way you said. The community does not supply them. TC electronics goes out to these guitar players and gets them to create a tone print for how they would use a particular effect (chorus, Delay, Flanger, and reverb). Unless Jerry Cantrell was contacted by TC Electronics, there is no "Alice in Chains" Tone print.

But don't let that stop you from getting the Corona Chorus. It's in my opinion the best sounding digital Chorus, with the best feature set.

I should have phrased it differently, but I'm sure that TS could find a similar tone print for Alice in Chains stuff.

I also read at some point that it was a Rotovibe used on the intro.

&baconstrips 12-17-2012 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj1991
The FX level acts more like an overall volume rather than a wet volume.

nope