UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   Electric Guitar (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   P-Rails in Telecaster Modern Player Deluxe? (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1578305)

ConcertShooter 12-17-2012 10:47 AM

P-Rails in Telecaster Modern Player Deluxe?

I bought a Telecaster Modern Player Thinline Deluxe like the one pictured below. I was disappointed to find that the P90s that come with this guitar are not adjustable and are actually mounted to the body of the guitar. If I don't replace the pickups altogether I will readjust those that came with it so that they are positioned higher than came from the factory. The neck pickup is almost level with the pickguard and it's impossible to get my Blues Jr. amp to break up using this guitar and any combination of pickup settings.

I've seen one such guitar where the owner replaced the front pickup with a Lollar Charlie Christian in the neck and a Lollar overwound P90 in the bridge with a custom made black pick guard. Not going to spend that kind of money on pickups but was wondering if a set of Duncan P-Rails might work nicely in the both the neck and bridge position.

I was thinking of installing them in such a way that the rail is on the outside and positioned closest to the neck and bridge. This would give me the advantage of having that single coil strat, hotter P90, and full on humbucker sounds in both positions. Was also thinking of changing the volume and tone pots so that I can wire this in a 15 way configuration.

What I'd like is some feedback on my above contemplated modifications. Thanks in advance!

This is the modified Tele Modern Player Thinline Deluxe with the Lollar pickups. Might it be better to perform this modification instead?

ConcertShooter 12-17-2012 10:55 AM

One clarification and question. In replacing the pickguard I'm considering a tortoise shell look as well as all black. Which would look better?

zl1288 12-17-2012 11:20 AM

I could be wrong, but I had thought P-rails were the size of humbuckers. Not sure what the routing is like on your guitar, but you may find the P-rails won't fit.

ConcertShooter 12-17-2012 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zl1288
I could be wrong, but I had thought P-rails were the size of humbuckers. Not sure what the routing is like on your guitar, but you may find the P-rails won't fit.
I may be wrong, but I've been told that the body on these Telecasters have been routed to facilitate a full sized humbucker. I've seen video of various Telecasters being modded on YT that, when the the pickguard is removed, shows a space for a full sized humbucker even though it might only have a single coil pickup in from the factory.

If this isn't the case, I'll likely put a different pickup in the neck and bridge to make it hotter and at least be able to break up my Blues Jr. when playing. Will likely take a look under the pickguard tonight if I'm up to it. Can tell then if it's been routed full out for the humbucker.

Assuming it will accommodate the P-Rails, might the consensus be that this would provide a wide array of sounds available in the one guitar? To wit: P-Rail in bridge and neck position with 15 way wiring and push-pull volume and tone pots. (Series, parallel, in phase, out of phase, rail-P90-humbucker choice in every possible configuration possible?) Any other suggestions from those who are certainly more seasoned than I as concerns the Telecaster and any electronic customizations?

ConcertShooter 12-17-2012 12:24 PM

Think I found the answer I was looking for in this video. Although my Tele isn't a solid body.

72 Fender Tele Deluxe w/ P-Rails

ConcertShooter 12-17-2012 12:31 PM

One more video on P-Rails in a Tele copy. I'll use push pull pots though for my switching as I want a clean installation and no weird non-stock look other than the pickups.

This guy gets some nice tones from his P-Rails.

Seymour Duncan P-Rails in a Jim Root Tele

MrFlibble 12-17-2012 01:10 PM

P-Rails won't fit. Those Teles are Standard series, and have routes that are large enough to take a humbucker. Your one, since it is made for P-90s, has shallower routing. You can get humbuckers made with short legs and shorter mounting screws to fit guitars like this, but P-Rails come with long legs. Seymour Duncan would make up a set of P-Rails with short legs for you as a 'shop floor custom', but that's an extra charge (on top of paying them the full RRP, rather than a shop's discounted price).

If your problem is simply a question of output, just raise the stock pickups. The P-90 mode of the P-Rails actually has less output than a typical P-90 does, the rail coil is very low in output (and sounds pretty shit, nine times out of ten) and the series (humbucker) combination does have more output than a typical P-90, but less than a medium-output, regular humbucker would.
If you want a lot more power and the option of a fuller tone, and raising the stock pickups doesn't do this for you, both Seymour Duncan and DiMarzio make P-90 pickups that are humcancelling and power powerful than a normal P-90; the DiMarzio ones in particular just sound like normal humbuckers. You can then wire in a simple series/parallel switch to get P-90-like tones out of them. These are usually cheaper than P-Rails, and they'll certainly be easier to install than getting a new pickguard and routing the guitar, or ordering custom pickups.

ConcertShooter 12-17-2012 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFlibble
P-Rails won't fit. Those Teles are Standard series, and have routes that are large enough to take a humbucker. Your one, since it is made for P-90s, has shallower routing.

Maybe I'll just raise the pups that came with it. lol