UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   Electric Guitar (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Homeland Security groped my tele... a NDG story... (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1578424)

gregs1020 12-17-2012 11:49 PM

Homeland Security groped my tele... a NDG story...

after a 2 week hiatus in the tracking world of the interwebz she finally showed up today.

bastards played her before i did. noooooO!!!!!

although the box had been opened the guitar was still bubble wrapped in it's bag so i don't think it was actually played unless customs agents play in drop Q.

very happy with it so far. i need to change out the strings and put the new brass saddles on later this week when they arrive.

it's an early to mid '80s tokai TE-50. i bought it based on 3 crappy pics on a yahoo japan auction on 11/28 and it finally arrived today after being in customs for 2 weeks. yes there is a risk in doing this and i don't recommend trying it unless you are ok with the fact that you may not get a great guitar. i've done it twice now and gotten lucky both times. my other tokai is a 1979 LS-60 les paul reborn.

fit and finish is very good. it's got it's mojo from being an old guitar, i wouldn't really say vintage but some may. to hold it you can tell it's a quality guitar. also it has almost zero fretwear.

the tone is great, spot on tele in your head tone. it's not really harsh like a lot of newer teles. with the tone knob backed off to about 7/10 it's in a sweet spot where it can do pretty much everything you throw at it.

i'm not crazy about the finish on the fretboard but i probably only feel it because the strings are slinky as hell. i need to put some heftier strings on and see how that feels. can't wait to rip some slide on this piggy.

rock out! \m/

ihartfood 12-18-2012 12:06 AM

love the butterscotchybutnotreally color.

sad that they groped it though, the bastards. HNGD! :cheers:

ChucklesMginty 12-18-2012 12:37 AM

Damn I love Tokai guitars. Nice one. :cheers:

W4RP1G 12-18-2012 01:00 AM

That's freaking sexy. Damn, I wish Tokai was a regular brand here in the states.

dark Mass 12-18-2012 01:08 AM

I hate when DHS goes through packages like that. In fact it's the fifth instrument that was checked by DHS that I saw today.

Anyways HNGD!!

SomeBlueKind 12-18-2012 01:08 AM

How's the intonation on it? The saddle positions seem a bit unconventional.

gregs1020 12-18-2012 09:05 AM

Thanks guys. :cheers:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeBlueKind
How's the intonation on it? The saddle positions seem a bit unconventional.

Only the a string is off. I have new saddles coming for it so I'll go through it later this week.

jj1565 12-18-2012 09:32 AM

total sexay :cheers:

Huge Guy 12-18-2012 09:57 AM

Nice! I have used Yahoo Japan before (I used to live in Tokyo) but from what I remember most sellers won't ship overseas, they usually won't deal with Paypal etc.

Next time I am in Japan I will definitely do some guitar shopping, they have some amazing stores over there...

gregs1020 12-18-2012 10:33 AM

^^ thanks jen! :cheers:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huge Guy
Nice! I have used Yahoo Japan before (I used to live in Tokyo) but from what I remember most sellers won't ship overseas, they usually won't deal with Paypal etc.

Next time I am in Japan I will definitely do some guitar shopping, they have some amazing stores over there...

you can use jauce.com or rinkya.com and bid on those auctions from anywhere. or buy off of ishibashi in the u-box section, digimart, others...

;)

Axe Murderer 12-18-2012 04:06 PM

Dat dere is nice!

Tom 1.0 12-18-2012 04:14 PM

Yay!!!

Its here! Its finally here!!!!

Glad you're happy with it dude :cheers:

Dave_Mc 12-18-2012 05:30 PM

awesome. was looking forward to this :cheers:

JesusCrisp 12-18-2012 05:52 PM

HNGD! :cheers:

Looks classy. :D

gregs1020 12-18-2012 05:56 PM

thanks guys, i've been looking forward to it since Nov 28th. ;)

:cheers:

this should be here tomorrow.

i'll probably just use the saddles off of it.

tele's HAVE to have brass saddles. ;)

Ippon 12-18-2012 10:07 PM

Looks sweet. Congrats!

IpponEdit: I noticed that your string tree is rounded while mine is the more modern, wing-type. It also has MIJ near the neck heel ala Fender MIJ.

gregs1020 12-18-2012 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ippon
Looks sweet. Congrats!

IpponEdit: I noticed that your string tree is rounded while mine is the more modern, wing-type. It also has MIJ near the neck heel ala Fender MIJ.

thank ippon. :cheers:

my tree is the right one for the 50's ri, yours may just be a straight up modern tokai tele. we can track down a year of mfg by the serial number.

Dave_Mc 12-19-2012 03:50 PM

yeah the newer tokais have the "MIJ" on the neck heel, the older ones have the model number sticker like greg's. No idea when they switched, though :haha

EDIT: just looked... mine has the modern string tree. But the 50s-style 3 brass saddles.

SOMEONE CALL THE MOJO POLICE! :cry:

gregs1020 12-19-2012 04:55 PM

i'm not up on the modern versions. ippon must have a newer one then.

i've got this "old mij stuff is better" thing in my head.

i have to stop reading the internet. :haha

Dave_Mc 12-19-2012 05:04 PM

i honestly don't know. the only older one i've tried is my strat copy. which is really nice (but needs a refret). It's also a higher st80 model. So it's not really a fair test. :shrug: