UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   The Pit (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   What's your preference on the 'realness' of an instrument? (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1578428)

StewieSwan 12-18-2012 12:34 AM

What's your preference on the 'realness' of an instrument?

Simple question: What's your preference about the 'realness' of a musical instrument that you're listening to? For the purposes of this thread, a 'real' instrument is one that creates sound acoustically through air movement or vibration of (parts of) the instrument.

I have a pretty strong preference for 'real' instruments. I enjoy the human element of performance and hearing people achieve something that I cannot do.

Disclaimer: I'm not suggesting that one is better than the other. If you are at the other end of the spectrum, that's koo :shrug:

genghisgandhi 12-18-2012 12:36 AM

I don't care and can't tell the difference unless I really try

WCPhils 12-18-2012 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StewieSwan

I have a pretty strong preference for 'real' instruments. I enjoy the human element of performance and hearing people achieve something that I cannot do.

yea, this

due 07 12-18-2012 12:39 AM

I tend to enjoy the timbre of 'real instruments' more, probably 'cuz that's what I'm familiar with. But like lots of music that's produced w/ virtual instruments sounds super incredible and I dig that kind of stuff too.

As far as virtual instruments trying to mimic irl instruments, I am not a fan. Is that what you mean?

slipknot5678 12-18-2012 12:39 AM

When I'm listening to music I have no preference but I prefer playing 'real' instruments to electronic instruments. I might have a slight preference to 'real' instruments if I'm at a live show as well.

I like music with both but with all of that said I would say I have a slight bias towards 'real' instruments.

Edit:
Quote:
Originally Posted by due 07
As far as virtual instruments trying to mimic irl instruments, I am not a fan. Is that what you mean?

This too. I'd rather just use a synth for those parts than try to play it off as real (Even though I have used a virtual piano before).

food1010 12-18-2012 12:44 AM

I voted option 1, but I think neither should be used at the expense of sound quality. I'd rather hear some really rich electronic sounds over some weak ass real sounds.

Radiohead gave me a lot of appreciation for electronic sounds because of how they mix it with bomb ass analog tone. As long as you have a commitment to creating a rich sound quality, you can use whatever you want to get there. I just feel like digital sounds often miss the mark.

Eastwinn 12-18-2012 12:47 AM

strong preference for real but not totally opposed to synth.

Weaponized 12-18-2012 12:49 AM

Don't care as long as it sounds good. Both can be shit, both can be nice.

OVER9000VIDEOS 12-18-2012 12:50 AM

I think EDM is terrible lol

headaches all around

macaroni 12-18-2012 12:51 AM

I prefer the natural sounds of the acoustic instruments but I also can't live without my electric guitar.

I hate synths and other electronic music shizzles though

blake1221 12-18-2012 12:54 AM

Definite preference for real.

I get turned off from too clean production alone.

eGraham 12-18-2012 12:56 AM

I'll say slight preference. I like prog, and a lot of prog has synth and stuff.

Morphogenesis26 12-18-2012 01:06 AM

I prefer the real, mostly because a lot of, I guess "not real", or however you wanna label it, instruments have a specific sound that actually feels artificial. I don't like that much.

deadsmileyface 12-18-2012 01:12 AM

Are electric guitars a "real" instrument?

Funky_Fresh91 12-18-2012 01:14 AM

I have a slight inclination towards electronic instruments tbh. I enjoy the massive variation of textures

StewieSwan 12-18-2012 01:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadsmileyface
Are electric guitars a "real" instrument?

Partially. The initial sound is produced by acoustic vibration.

CroneR 12-18-2012 01:17 AM

So is an Electric Guitar thru a Fender Blues deluxe not considered a 'real' instrument for purposes of this thread?

And what are we comparing these 'real' instruments too?

To me, an instrument is an instrument. Even a Midi controller is an instrument too imo, because it's a tool to control software instruments.

But, if you are asking about Acoustic instruments like a Banjo, Mandolin, Classical/Acoustic Guitars, Harmonica, etc... I do LOVE those types of instruments. But they would be worthless without microphones and/or on-board electronics besides just playing for yourself or a VERY small audience.

StewieSwan 12-18-2012 01:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroneR
To me, an instrument is an instrument. Even a Midi controller is an instrument too imo, because it's a tool to control software instruments.

Erm...congratulations?

Xiaoxi 12-18-2012 01:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by due 07

lol I can guarantee someone like you couldn't even be able to tell a professional mockup from a real orchestra.

deadsmileyface 12-18-2012 01:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StewieSwan
Partially. The initial sound is produced by acoustic vibration.

Okay then, as an electric guitarist, I have a strong preference for real instruments.

Some electronic instruments can sound good when used in the right places.