UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   Guitar Gear & Accessories (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Which multi-effects pedal would you recommend? (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1578439)

FenderBluesAAA 12-18-2012 02:21 AM

Which multi-effects pedal would you recommend?

I'm looking for a multi-effects pedal that can stand on its own. I wouldn't mind using it through an amp every now and then, but my main concern is for it to be able to do everything it needs to on its own and sound good. I want it to be able to do most genres: Metal, Rock, Blues, Jazz, etc.

In the end, it will be my decision after I give the pedals a try but I like to see what people like and don't like so I can make sure to look for those things when trying out these pedals.

Here are the options I have found. I have already narrowed it down a bit but would like to put everything just in case someone here convinces me to reconsider one I have eliminated...

Line6 Pod HD500
Zoom G5
Boss GT-100
Vox Tonelab EX
Roctron Utopia G300
Digitech RP1000
Other?

trashedlostfdup 12-18-2012 02:41 AM

which (if any) have you tried?

i haven't played any of them so will give no advice other than i started with a korg toneworks AX1500g, (2004?) then got some form of pod that wasn't a floor unit, but it wasn't very rugged so i sold it, and i won two zoom pedals. the two zoom 2.1u 's [i had] were very disappointing and i didn't like it as much as i remember liking the pod. old gear though, so at least you got the history. lol.

have you considered spending more and getting an eleven rack? i don't know what they go for now though. they sound great overall i played one last year that a friend of a former band member had.

FenderBluesAAA 12-18-2012 02:46 AM

I haven't tried any yet. I will, most likely tomorrow. I'm just trying to eliminate the ones which might be the most limiting.

I don't plan on spending that much money. If I were spending that much, I might go with an amp instead. And I would like a floor unit.

cdr_salamander 12-18-2012 02:56 AM

I am going to say definitely try the G5 out if they have it. I had the G3 when it first came out and it stood out to me because it was doing what the $500-700 floor units out there did better. Plus, I enjoyed having the LCD screens there with the graphic representations of knobs.

I will say that I have always found the tubes they put in these digital pedals to be somewhat gimmicky but to each their own I suppose.

I would suggest you go and spend a while at the shop tomorrow and demo each one. Make sure you emphasize your playing style and purchase the one that does those styles the best.

trashedlostfdup 12-18-2012 03:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdr_salamander
I am going to say definitely try the G5 out if they have it. I had the G3 when it first came out and it stood out to me because it was doing what the $500-700 floor units out there did better. Plus, I enjoyed having the LCD screens there with the graphic representations of knobs.

I will say that I have always found the tubes they put in these digital pedals to be somewhat gimmicky but to each their own I suppose.

I would suggest you go and spend a while at the shop tomorrow and demo each one. Make sure you emphasize your playing style and purchase the one that does those styles the best.

+1 don't let that be a deciding factor.

trashedlostfdup 12-18-2012 03:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FenderBluesAAA
I haven't tried any yet. I will, most likely tomorrow. I'm just trying to eliminate the ones which might be the most limiting.

I don't plan on spending that much money. If I were spending that much, I might go with an amp instead. And I would like a floor unit.

one nice feature would be to be able to use it as an interface for your computer. i know line 6 does it, but i am unsure about others.

just a thought.

Perverockstar69 12-18-2012 03:35 AM

I'd take the Pod.

Minimallamb 12-18-2012 05:36 AM

The Pod is great, but the G5 offers a lot for half the price. Very good mid gain tones. Alos, it can be used as an interface like the Pod and comes with Cubase for recording

Patias 12-18-2012 05:52 AM

I have t.c. electronics Nova System and can say that it works very well. I've also heard a lot of praise about it over the internet. You should check that out!

Boz0r 12-18-2012 07:35 AM

I've had the Zoom G9.2tt for a couple of years, and I'm pretty disappointed that it sucks a lot of the highs out of the tone of my amp.

mmjohn 12-18-2012 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patias
I have t.c. electronics Nova System and can say that it works very well. I've also heard a lot of praise about it over the internet. You should check that out!

I own the nova sys and it an amazing unit!!!

Robbgnarly 12-18-2012 10:55 AM

The POD HD500 is gonna be the best out of all of those MFX units, by quite a bit. the GT-100 is the next best

HammerParty 12-18-2012 11:47 AM

I wouldn't buy a line 6 product personally, although many people love them. I had a pod xtl, thought it sounded severely digital, they try to charge you for additional amp model packs and effects $50 a piece even though I just spent $400 on the pedal..... Left a sour taste in my mouth.

Remnest 12-18-2012 11:49 AM

The POD HD500 gets my vote, i own one and its a great piece of gear. I got it mainly for silent playing and recording since i have an amp, but i also got myself a powered wedge for it just so i can play around with it more at rehearsals.

FenderBluesAAA 12-18-2012 11:53 AM

Thank you for all the replies.
The G5 sounds good to me but I have some questions about it. Does it do high gain tones well?
Another concern I have is about zoom updates. Line6 is constantly updating their pods and providing more features to the users at no cost. Does zoom do anything similar? Do they also add features through their updates? I'm worried that if I get the G5, it's going to stay the same forever while the pods out there are being improved through their updates.
I do really like the looper and drum machine option for practice on the G5.

The Nova system doesn't seem to have amp modeling?

I would like it to be used as an interface and I believe all those options offer that.

FenderBluesAAA 12-18-2012 11:55 AM

I also might be trying these pedals today but was thinking, would it be a fair comparison considering that the pod HD500 in store will most likely not be updated?

fly135 12-18-2012 12:44 PM

Based on your limited statement of requirements I voted Zoom G5. And yes it does metal tones well, where I would say that Jazz tones are its weakest area. Zoom does do updates. They updated the G3 from doing its initial 3 stomp capability to 6. That is a significant update. I believe the G5 has an update right not. I haven't done mine so I'm not sure whats in it.

I believe that an HD500 without updates is still plenty functional to make a comparison. I also believe that you can just look at a feature comparison to get a good idea. It can be tricky testing in a store because there are so many things that could make one sound better than the other that can be adjusted with some experience with the unit. Don't overlook your needs for the features. Things like an external loop or dual amps on the HD that's not on the G5. Or a looper synced to an internal rhythm generator on the G5 that's not on the HD.

WRT tubes are a gimmick comment. I won't disagree but gimmick does not mean useless. IMO gimmick means the implication that a tube does something that couldn't be done with other circuitry. In the case of the G5, wanting to add the tube gimmick earned an additional feature.. That being a clean boost at the end of the chain with tone and level controls, that doesn't subtract from the total effect count.

Also others have reported that changing the tube does provide a change to the tone. So the tube means you can customize that boost yourself. This diminishes the gimmickness.

FenderBluesAAA 12-18-2012 03:51 PM

Thank you for the reply fly135.
Do updates for zoom include new effects, amps, further control parameters, etc. like line6 pods?
How about Boss? Does anyone have any experience with Boss and might be able to say anything about their updates for the GT series?

fly135 12-18-2012 03:57 PM

The update for the G3 only included bug fixes and an increase in the number of simultaneous FX.

FenderBluesAAA 12-18-2012 10:20 PM

I tried the HD500, GT100, and G5 today.
The G5 had great cleans and great dynamics. I liked the dynamics on the crunch tones.
The GT100 was the best heavy tones. I was surprised. It did the heavy tones much better than the G5.
The HD500... One of the worst tones I have heard and that is why I have some questions. Something must have been wrong because I don't see how it could be so popular if it sounds like this. It is so digital. More than their pod farm and spider amps. Does this thing need to be updated? Does this need a lot of tweaking? I don't know. I'm not going to eliminate the HD500 yet without understanding why it sounded the way it did. I'm sure it is much better sounding that what I heard.

It would be much appreciated if anyone with an HD500 can offer some input on the sound of this unit before any updates compared to after.