UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   Guitar Techniques (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   How hard should i pick (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1578452)

FirasKordi 12-18-2012 05:41 AM

How hard should i pick

hey guys....just a fast question , how hard should i pick a string (i use 1.5 picks , not very sharp ) while alternate picking and sweeping :D :D

jwax 12-18-2012 08:14 AM

be a light as possible. lighter picking=greater speed+tonal clarity ;].

Zaphod_Beeblebr 12-18-2012 08:20 AM

Picking harder or lighter gives a different tone, you should be able to pick as hard as you need to at a given moment.

llBlackenedll 12-18-2012 08:20 AM

As hard as you need to to get the sound you desire. You're playing music, so the point is that it sounds how you want it to sound; music isn't just about hitting the right notes.

You'll find if you hit really lightly it'll sound quite weak and won't be as clear, if you hit really heavily it'll be much louder but will have more of a snap to it. Personally I'd say pick somewhere in the middle of hard and soft as your "normal" stroke, as that'll give you the most dynamic range. Not hard enough that it distorts and not so light that it sounds pathetic.

Heminator89 12-18-2012 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Picking harder or lighter gives a different tone, you should be able to pick as hard as you need to at a given moment.

This is the answer that'll help you. Lot of guitar players pick hard for aggression, whilst some pick lighter to get a very smooth sound. It really depends on the kind of music that you are playing.

adambauman31 12-18-2012 08:47 AM

if using a single channel tube amp, harder picking will overdrive more and softer picking will be cleaner. There are situations for each. You should be able to do both.

SwoobGuitar 12-18-2012 09:10 AM

This hard:
<------->

leony03 12-18-2012 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwax
be a light as possible. lighter picking=greater speed+tonal clarity ;].

No it doesn't. It just gives a different tone.

For rhythm, I pick pretty hard due to the nature of the music I generally play. Sometimes, I like to play some soft stuff so I roll down my volume dial and play a lot lighter. It all depends on what style of music and sound you are going for.

FirasKordi 12-18-2012 10:48 AM

thanks for your answers everyone...what about galloping , especially (bleed) by meshuggah , how hard should i pick the riff so i can endure because its exhausting as hell !

leony03 12-18-2012 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirasKordi
thanks for your answers everyone...what about galloping , especially (bleed) by meshuggah , how hard should i pick the riff so i can endure because its exhausting as hell !

For that, I would say play quite lightly due to the speed of it. Your hand wont fall off then ;)

martmiguel 12-18-2012 11:25 AM

Ive noticed that some guitar player pick hard because they need volume, if this is your case just turn the amp up

Now being serious try to pick as light as possible, at first you can drop your pick but this is fine, you will learn to control this eventually

steven seagull 12-18-2012 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martmiguel
Ive noticed that some guitar player pick hard because they need volume, if this is your case just turn the amp up

Now being serious try to pick as light as possible, at first you can drop your pick but this is fine, you will learn to control this eventually

Absolutely not

Picking dynamics is one of the fundamental basics of good technique, how you attack the string has a massive effect on the resultant tone, speed, length of stroke and pick angle all play a part, even more so through a tube amp. As others have said you pick as hard or as soft as you need to get the sound you want.

t1mman 12-18-2012 02:31 PM

Makes me remember, one time on a PInk Floyd cover band, the guitarist was picking so softly the tone sucked and everything was pretty much "lost" in my point off view...

Pick as hard or as soft as it is needed!

Zaphod_Beeblebr 12-18-2012 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirasKordi

You can pick hard with small motions and relaxed technique. The key is to use a little more of the pick to strike the strings; the more of the pick you use the more snap you'll get and more dynamics. It's a careful balance though, too much and you'll get caught up at speed and you won't be able to play whatever it is you're going for.

Bleed isn't a standard gallop though, people often get this wrong, the pattern is actually like this:

Code:
Bb|-000-0-000-0-

The picking pattern actually falls in to strict alternate picking perfectly but it does still take a lot of work to get down and be able to play it all the way through; it's a real work out.

Aminor251 12-18-2012 03:43 PM

Practice your picking with permutations up and down the neck and alternate from hard till you are picking where you can barely be heard and vice versa.

J_W 12-18-2012 06:25 PM

The correct answer is.....as hard or as soft as you need to.

guitarscales 12-26-2012 01:17 PM

It's music mate! You'r god here! You are creating even when you play other's songs! Picking is just another way to leave your mark on the art you are doing! Slighter picking gives more speed whereas heavier picking gives more tenacity but you can go around both with some training. It also depends if you'r singing along yourself or you are playing in a band etc...