UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   Guitar Gear & Accessories (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   why people use many effects and not just get a multi effect? (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1578611)

amit190 12-19-2012 04:12 AM

why people use many effects and not just get a multi effect?

hi! not sure f thats the right place to ask it but-

is there any high quality multi effect that will give the same quality of a train of different delays,distortions and so?

thanks!

darkwolf291 12-19-2012 04:18 AM

Because one pedal made to do one effect usually does it better than a jack-of-all-trades one.

losing battle 12-19-2012 04:22 AM

Some people like the customizability, others its a financial thing being they don't have 2 grand+ for axe effects. For me personally its the fact its way way way cheaper to upgrade a pedal (meaning you are not happy with one pedal and want to switch or something new comes out and blows something out of the water like in the case of fuzz, delay or reverb). Some people also just like the sound of old school analog pedals as well. Its a fairly divese pool of reasons why many people stick with pedals.

NakedInTheRain 12-19-2012 04:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit190
hi! not sure f thats the right place to ask it but-

because individual pedals are generally better than their multifx counterparts.

Quote:
is there any high quality multi effect that will give the same quality of a train of different delays,distortions and so?

not really. eventide and strymon make decent delay and modulation multifx, but distortion on most multifx is generally shit.

Offworld92 12-19-2012 04:29 AM

I think a lot of people that go boutique do it for the sake of doing it - it's fun, and cool to build a pedal collection.

A fact to consider is that while there are some MFX that can beat out any stompbox any day (TC Electronic, Fractal), digital dirt/OD sims just aren't that good yet.

Personally, I started off with just pedals, then went completely digital/MIDI, and now recently I've found what works for me with a combo of both (analog dirt & compression, digital everything else).

Another huge factor is what people *need*. Personally, I absolutely despise the tapdance. It's why I gave up pedals in the first place. Some people though, just don't use many different sounds, so they never really deal with the tapdance. I do, so I needed to go MIDI.

MIDI gives a ton of options and customizeability. Some people just simply don't like having that, and prefer an old fashioned straight up analog setup.

TL;DR there's lots of reasons to go digital/MIDI or go analog, and there are top quality options in both formats (perhaps with the exception of digital dirt)... at the end of the day it doesn't matter what other people do - just experiment until you find what works for you.

Cathbard 12-19-2012 04:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkwolf291
Because one pedal made to do one effect usually does it better than a jack-of-all-trades one.
Depends on the unit.
Admit it, you're all just ludites that don't understand MIDI aren't you? ;)

:haha:

Eppicurt 12-19-2012 04:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
Depends on the unit.

Pfft, it's all about the USB and Firewire now gramps.

gerrywm 12-19-2012 05:20 AM

Quote:
Depends on the unit.

Yes, yes I am..........

dark Mass 12-19-2012 05:33 AM

Multi effects that most people can afford sound like shit imo.

There are some effects that digital effects units cannot recreate faithfully like germanium fuzzes and tape echos.

Talon64 12-19-2012 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offworld92
I think a lot of people that go boutique do it for the sake of doing it - it's fun, and cool to build a pedal collection.

A fact to consider is that while there are some MFX that can beat out any stompbox any day (TC Electronic, Fractal), digital dirt/OD sims just aren't that good yet.

Personally, I started off with just pedals, then went completely digital/MIDI, and now recently I've found what works for me with a combo of both (analog dirt & compression, digital everything else).

Another huge factor is what people *need*. Personally, I absolutely despise the tapdance. It's why I gave up pedals in the first place. Some people though, just don't use many different sounds, so they never really deal with the tapdance. I do, so I needed to go MIDI.

MIDI gives a ton of options and customizeability. Some people just simply don't like having that, and prefer an old fashioned straight up analog setup.

TL;DR there's lots of reasons to go digital/MIDI or go analog, and there are top quality options in both formats (perhaps with the exception of digital dirt)... at the end of the day it doesn't matter what other people do - just experiment until you find what works for you.

This has to be a well thought out reply but i'd like to add one thing....

A lot of guitarists are lazy and cbf reading a manual and take the time to learn how to get the best out of a multi effect unit so they stick with what they know... i also use a combination of both multi and stomp on my pedalboard

gerrywm 12-19-2012 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon64
This has to be a well thought out reply but i'd like to add one thing....

A lot of guitarists are lazy and cbf reading a manual and take the time to learn how to get the best out of a multi effect unit so they stick with what they know... i also use a combination of both multi and stomp on my pedalboard

I am also a bit guilty of this, I had a Boss Me33 before and found it a nightmare to get all the levels from the different banks the same a nightmare...... But I think some of the new (and very expensive) G systems can plug into a laptop and have a nice user display, thats something id be interested in if I could afford it..

Would love something like J from dinosaur jr and Dan from Black keys have where they have all their stomp boxes controled by a nice tidy foot switch board - videos are on youtube

Mephaphil 12-19-2012 07:45 AM

My Boss GT 100 sounds like shit compared to the effects I have now, and a lot of my pedals are Boss!

sysD 12-19-2012 08:16 AM

i find that having to bend down and adjust a setting every time i need to switch fx is a hassle

its easier to just use individual stompboxes to get the sound you need at any given moment... plus lots of fun ways rearrange your fx chain to get diff sounds... as well as combining fx... which doesn't really happen with multifx pedals, unless you're going to buy something really high end.

sonny bb 12-19-2012 08:18 AM

I use a combination of both and I always have. A MFX for delays and some effects and a mild eq notch for my amp and everything else in individual pedals. mostly distortions/overdrives, but I use a couple modulators, chorus, phasers and wah. It's much more fun for me and it just looks so cool to have a board full of wonderful stompboxes! I use the MXF for recording too, but to get a great distortion takes time and out of the box thinking, but it is possible!!

Cathbard 12-19-2012 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sysD
i find that having to bend down and adjust a setting every time i need to switch fx is a hassle

its easier to just use individual stompboxes to get the sound you need at any given moment... plus lots of fun ways rearrange your fx chain to get diff sounds... as well as combining fx... which doesn't really happen with multifx pedals, unless you're going to buy something really high end.

WTF? I use a MFX rack system mainly so I don't have to reach down and adjust anything. Everything is programmed with the settings I need for the song and I just select the right patch for it. No adjustments needed because you you've already done it. No tap dancing, just hit it and go.
Sounds to me like you've only used cheap crap.

sysD 12-19-2012 09:05 AM

Quote:
WTF? I use a MFX rack system mainly so I don't have to reach down and adjust anything. Everything is programmed with the settings I need for the song and I just select the right patch for it. No adjustments needed because you you've already done it. No tap dancing, just hit it and go.

yeah man, i don't spend over $300 for any individual pedal, you're so superior to me :)

that being said, i like the tones i get out of my "cheap crap"

Cathbard 12-19-2012 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sysD
yeah man, i don't spend over $300 for any individual pedal, you're so superior to me :)

that being said, i like the tones i get out of my "cheap crap"

WTF are you talking about? I point out why what you said is complete crap and I'm claiming to be superior? **** off idiot.

sysD 12-19-2012 09:16 AM

"arrogence and self-awareness rarely go together...."

amit190 12-19-2012 09:20 AM

Quote:

what is MFX rack system? never heard about it..

Cathbard 12-19-2012 09:21 AM

What you said was just plain wrong. Using individual pedals doesn't mean you have to bend over and adjust things less often - quite the opposite. In fact so wrong that what people like myself have gone away from individual pedals precisely to avoid doing what you are claiming to be a MFX unit's shortcomings. It's pedals that suffer from that, not proper MFX units.
You're just wrong, wrong, wrong.
:facepalm:

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit190
what is MFX rack system? never heard about it..
Any multi effects unit/s that live in a rack.