UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   Gear Building & Customizing (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=53)
-   -   A thread for my squier project (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1578780)

LeviMan_2001 12-20-2012 05:55 AM

A thread for my squier project - video!

Here's the plan. Get a cheap squier strat, turn it into a 50's style relic. So far i've got the guitar and I'm in the process of turning the ugly ass 70's headstock into a pre-cbs era headstock.

After a nice little setup it plays great!

:cry: What an ugly 'stock

No worries! It now looks like this

And soon it shall get a logo like this:

Also, I tested out aging hardware. This used to be a chrome SX strat jack plate. I got a little fed up with letting it sit in a fume of acid and having nothing happen. So I let it sit in it's little happy place of caustic fumes over night.... now if I was going for the titanic rescue strat, this would be perfect...

:haha: :haha:

For the real deal I'll only give it a few hours haha and watch it more carefully.

whoomit 12-20-2012 06:03 AM

Hey!

I used to love the 70s h/s on my Squier!

;_;

You should totally do a steampunk build with hardward like that :p:

LeviMan_2001 12-21-2012 10:26 PM

Haha I've been thinking of doing a steampunky guitar. I was thinking like 1/2" ply with a neck bolted right on top and a frame of copper pipe to mount the electronics, bridge, and pickups on. Alllso, I just started working on the decal today. Hopefully that goes well...

switchfooter 12-22-2012 04:34 AM

Im currently attempting to do the same thing to my strat.

Where do you buy decals like that? or do you make it?

LeviMan_2001 12-22-2012 06:25 AM

You've gotta make 'em. I went to my local hobby shop today and bought some inkjet decal paper and did the decal!

Here's what it looks like with some clear.

The decal is a bit foggy, I was having trouble getting it to stick so I had to glue it on with some white glue. Ended up getting a bit foggy behind the decal. I probably didn't let it sit for long enough before shooting clear.

I also swapped out the saddles for some vintage style ones off my yamaha.

I aged some of the plastic bits as well, and added these cool little pointers

I aged some of the screws as well. Don't have a picture of that though.

LeviMan_2001 12-23-2012 03:07 AM

Well today I grabbed myself a can of brown kiwi shoe polish and my life has been changed! It was able to tint my plastic, my neck everything! Check it out.

W4RP1G 12-23-2012 03:20 AM

I like it, but that decal sticker would drive me nuts.

LeviMan_2001 12-23-2012 04:29 AM

The way it's kind of fogged? I kind of like it. It was the best I could do.

LeviMan_2001 12-23-2012 06:57 AM

Well I started in on stripping the body today. People give poly all the hate, but really it's the sanding sealer that's the bitch. The polyurethane top coat is thin, the sanding sealer appears to be expoxy and it's super crazy thick. I measured and it's .050 thick. Low e's are smaller than that! I think a lot of people get fooled using chemical strippers because they think it's cleaned everything off when really it's just stopped at the epoxy sealer.

W4RP1G 12-23-2012 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeviMan_2001
Well I started in on stripping the body today. People give poly all the hate, but really it's the sanding sealer that's the bitch. The polyurethane top coat is thin, the sanding sealer appears to be expoxy and it's super crazy thick. I measured and it's .050 thick. Low e's are smaller than that! I think a lot of people get fooled using chemical strippers because they think it's cleaned everything off when really it's just stopped at the epoxy sealer.

Is there a stripper than can take off the sealer?

LeviMan_2001 12-25-2012 03:26 AM

Hell no. Epoxy is almost indestructible. I had to break out the heat gun. Good thing it's getting a solid finish. Google dissolving epoxy, essentially not going to happen.

In other news, I'm working on finishing it now. I just put a coat of sanding sealer on it. There will probably be quite a few primer coats on it to smooth it out.

LeviMan_2001 12-27-2012 02:20 AM

Just finished priming and doing a few color coats! Clear soon.

LeviMan_2001 12-28-2012 07:51 AM

Well it's almost done now. I have to wait for the lacquer to cure some more before I can check it and age the finish. But here she is!

LeviMan_2001 01-01-2013 07:21 AM

Well not a lot of interest I suppose. But anyhow I did a cover of Gravity by John Mayer and here's the video. The rhythm sound is the neck-mid position while the lead is I think all neck pickup. Also feel free to subscribe on youtube! And I have a facebook page for my projects now: http://www.facebook.com/LeviBetzsProjects

whoomit 01-02-2013 06:20 AM

Looks good, when are you checking the lacquer?

LeviMan_2001 01-02-2013 06:27 PM

Once it gets cold enough outside! It's 35 degrees and melting, in alaska! WTF

whoomit 01-03-2013 04:43 AM

:haha:

That song was pretty cheesy by the way :p:

Good though.

LeviMan_2001 01-03-2013 04:50 AM

That's how John Mayer goes. You listen to him and go "oh what cheesey pop" and then eventually you say '**** it, he's super good'.

whoomit 01-03-2013 04:59 AM

Fair enough :haha:

Can't say I've ever listened that much!

LeviMan_2001 01-03-2013 06:39 AM

I'd say he's one of the best guitarists alive right now. Or at least the famous ones. Check out continuum, that's a great album. If your into bluesy strat stuff at least.