UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   Guitar Gear & Accessories (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Cabinet question (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1578879)

cfhdomination 12-20-2012 06:07 PM

Cabinet question

Don't know if this is the right place to be posting this question, and it may be a dumb one at that. Anyways here goes. I'm getting a Randall RG100 Classic head and need a good cabinet to pair with it. I'm sort of on a budget so I'm looking for a cabinet that's not only affordable but sounds good with the amp. I play sludge/stoner/southern metal in the vain of Crowbar, Down, C.O.C., etc. (if that helps any). I've only owned combo amps (currently own a Randall RG75G3 that I may sell) and have no experience with amp heads and cabinets. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

gumbilicious 12-20-2012 06:21 PM

i know you already answered some of these questions, but if you could check this out and give us this info then we'd be able to help you better

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1387138

cfhdomination 12-20-2012 07:16 PM

Budget: No more then $250. Prefer used (becuase of my crappy budget).
For home and gigging.
Current gear. Washburn Dime 133 with Stock neck pickup and dimebucker in the bridge.
Gibson SG with stock pickups. My pedals are: Dean Markley tuner, EHX Small Stone Phase,
Dunlop original Wah, and an Ibanez TS9 tubescreamer.

Hopefully this all helps.

cfhdomination 12-20-2012 07:19 PM

Also, I'm looking for a Kirk Windstein/Crowbar sort of tone. If that helps.

gumbilicious 12-20-2012 07:39 PM

i normally just scour the used market like mad and try before i buy. you can find some killer deals on cabinets, but i have also seen people get screwed when they buy sight unseen.

250 is pretty low, but you may be able to find a 2x12 with some G12T-75, V30, or G12K-100's in them.

i was gonna look up your local CL but i didn't see where you were from.

cfhdomination 12-20-2012 07:49 PM

Yeah, actually I was looking at some 2X12's since I've heard they work really well for a recording setting. I live in Santa Fe, NM and there's next to nothing when it comes to used gear. I've checked craigslist constantly and can't find anything. I may take a drive down to Albuquerque since they have a Music Go Round. They sell good quality used gear. I can only afford 250 but if I have to pay a little more to get something good, I'll definitely do it.

gumbilicious 12-20-2012 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfhdomination
Yeah, actually I was looking at some 2X12's since I've heard they work really well for a recording setting. I live in Santa Fe, NM and there's next to nothing when it comes to used gear. I've checked craigslist constantly and can't find anything. I may take a drive down to Albuquerque since they have a Music Go Round. They sell good quality used gear. I can only afford 250 but if I have to pay a little more to get something good, I'll definitely do it.

i have gotten a number of good cabinet deals, but if you want a good deal then you have to have patience. it also helps to live in a busier area. i think you could find something for 250, but most likely you'll prob have to pony up a little more at a shop if you want something pretty good.

cfhdomination 12-21-2012 02:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gumbilicious
i have gotten a number of good cabinet deals, but if you want a good deal then you have to have patience. it also helps to live in a busier area. i think you could find something for 250, but most likely you'll prob have to pony up a little more at a shop if you want something pretty good.

I've been looking at the B52 cabs and hear they're pretty nice. Almost similar to a Mesa cab is what I've heard. I'll just keep hunting around for deals. The patience part may be a problem though, because I seriously can't wait to crank the new amp and piss off the neighbors lol thanks for the help, I really appreciate it.

trashedlostfdup 12-21-2012 02:59 AM

nice avatar. :haha:

i have had two RG100ES's oen needed to be recapped so i sold it because i wasn't comfortable with modding, the other was fine, and currently have a century 100 (dime used the 200 watt head version.

i would look for late 80's peavey cabs and around that range for ampeg. whatever pops up in your budget should be fine. i don't advise MG or MA marshall cabs, the 1960a is the standard on marshall.

avatar or white box build custom but pretty cheap.

cfhdomination 12-21-2012 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trashedlostfdup
nice avatar. :haha:

i have had two RG100ES's oen needed to be recapped so i sold it because i wasn't comfortable with modding, the other was fine, and currently have a century 100 (dime used the 200 watt head version.

i would look for late 80's peavey cabs and around that range for ampeg. whatever pops up in your budget should be fine. i don't advise MG or MA marshall cabs, the 1960a is the standard on marshall.

avatar or white box build custom but pretty cheap.

I had my eye on a Century 200 head on ebay but didn't end up winning it. I wanted that one or the Titan, but I couldn't pass up on the RG100ES. As for the Marshall's, I'd never go for the newer ones. I don't know much about cabs but I know enough to not get the MG's. If I can find an 80's Peavey cab I'll check it out though. Thanks for the help man! Hail the leaf!! lol