UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   Bass Guitar (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Is this a good bass? (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1579336)

apathetichippie 12-23-2012 10:59 PM

Is this a good bass?

1 Attachment(s)
I decided that I want to play guitar, specifically the bass. I am a sophomore in HS and really want to spend the next few years getting a good as I can at it so that I can possibly start u pa band sometime after high school, that's the goal anyway. I want to be in a Ska band, and I know that bass is usually prominent in these types of bands. Is that guitar a good guitar? I want one that I won't outgrow anytime soon, and one that is versatile. It is a 1980 Ibanez Roadster

Alucard817 12-24-2012 12:23 AM

I personally prefer older Ibanez stuff. How much does the seller want for it?

anarkee 12-24-2012 01:01 AM

I love those early 80s Ibby's--if the electronics are solid and the bass is the right price, its a good choice to start your bass playing. They are very versatile and can dial up tones that fit quite a few genres.

Like Alcucard817 said, whats the price?

FatalGear41 12-24-2012 04:34 AM

Those were fine basses. They play beautifully, sound great and they are built like Tiger Tanks. You won't outgrow it. I started on an Ibanez Roadgear 4-string (the replacement series for the Roadster, I believe) and I still play it and I still love it.

CJ Noble 12-24-2012 05:33 AM

it's a fantastic bass, and they sell for way less than I think they're really worth. Market could be $1200 and it would still be a good deal, but at the range they normally fall into it's almost like stealing

Jed121 12-24-2012 06:58 PM

The combination of the Precision/Jazz bass pickups will let you get a lot of different tones out of it. I'd try one out before you buy so you know whether or not it's comfortable for you to play.

apathetichippie 12-24-2012 11:01 PM

seller wants $350 for it. Is it a good guitar for the kinda music I'm into? (Ska/Punk). Youtube the song 500 Channels by Chocking Victim, that's the type of music I want to play.

anarkee 12-25-2012 01:03 AM

Yes--that could easily work for Ska / Punk with the Split humbucker pups.

Alucard817 12-26-2012 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by apathetichippie
seller wants $350 for it. Is it a good guitar for the kinda music I'm into? (Ska/Punk). Youtube the song 500 Channels by Chocking Victim, that's the type of music I want to play.

You will practically be stealing it from him, providing it's in good condition. I would still try to talk him down a little, but that's just the cheap ass in me.

apathetichippie 12-26-2012 01:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alucard817
You will practically be stealing it from him, providing it's in good condition. I would still try to talk him down a little, but that's just the cheap ass in me.

Well, I'm buying it from a dealer, so I don't know if there is any talking down lol

Alucard817 12-26-2012 01:22 AM

Doesn't hurt to try. Hell I've gotten guitar center to eat the tax on a few guitars and basses I've bought from them. Maybe ask for a few cheap cables, or what not.

Gotta sweeten the pot man.

christianonbass 12-26-2012 03:18 PM

Buy it!

c3powil 12-27-2012 10:57 AM

looks awesome. Reminds me of my late Ibanez ATK, but with a better pickup configuration.

Wesbanez 12-27-2012 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by apathetichippie
Well, I'm buying it from a dealer, so I don't know if there is any talking down lol

Don't be a pussy, theres always room for talking down prices. You really think any shop anywhere labels things up with the very least amount of $$$ they'd take for it?! No, they don't.

They're looking for a cheeky little profit, you're looking for a cheeky little discount, no harm done in asking.

Even so, as others have said, you're practically stealing it at that price anyway, very good bass.