UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   Musician Talk (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Is composition of music something that's learned? (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1579696)

TheSPillow 12-26-2012 02:45 PM

Is composition of music something that's learned?

Or is it purely expression of oneself with an instrument?

Nietsche 12-26-2012 02:50 PM

Both. Greater mastery of compositional craft leads to a greater ability to express oneself musically.

jazz_rock_feel 12-26-2012 02:52 PM

Far more learning than pure expression.

griffRG7321 12-26-2012 02:55 PM

Both.

**** loads of learning though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nietsche
Both. Greater mastery of compositional craft leads to a greater ability to express oneself musically.

****ing sigged.

Nietsche 12-26-2012 03:21 PM

This is the first time someone's ever sigged something I said.

Words cannot express my feelings right now.

show

British_Steal 12-26-2012 03:30 PM

10% Talent
90% Craft

AeolianWolf 12-26-2012 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by British_Steal
10% Talent
90% Craft

this is about right.

ChucklesMginty 12-26-2012 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by British_Steal
10% Talent
90% Craft

Unless you're Mozart.

AeolianWolf 12-26-2012 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChucklesMginty
Unless you're Mozart.

even then, it's still 90% craft and 10% talent. ;)

chronowarp 12-26-2012 05:30 PM

No Dude Like
He Was Talented N Shit
Wrote Shit In His Head
Twinkle Twinkle

ouchies 12-26-2012 05:57 PM

Its "learned" but theres a ceiling where it never gets easier

HotspurJr 12-26-2012 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSPillow
Or is it purely expression of oneself with an instrument?

It is both.

You can't express yourself with an instrument unless you have a mastery of that instrument. Ear training helps your brain to think in pitches - if you're untrained then you're not really thinking accurately in pitches, and you don't really have control of what you're trying to create.

I always love it when I learn a new concept and realize that I'd been applying that concept subconsciously in some of my compositions. That suggests to me that my intuitive grasp of the type of material I'm writing is fairly strong. On the other hand, even in those cases, having learned the concept academically I find it helps me to refine my application of it.

That being said, I've found that when I try to apply concepts with a purely academic perspective, without that intuitive understanding first, that it doesn't work out so well.

griffRG7321 12-26-2012 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotspurJr
You can't express yourself with an instrument unless you have an understanding of that instrument.

Fixed.

Hail 12-26-2012 10:59 PM

tbh most of the people who talk about expressing themselves in their music aren't actually very deep at all

it tends to become a filler word to describe a sensation akin to "well i like it, but i probably shouldn't cause this isn't very good"

you can't shape music to your own voice if you don't know how music is supposed to sound in the first place. this doesn't mean being locked away in a conservatory your whole life - it just means that you actively try and take in as much as you can from music and use that to help your technical skills on a compositional and technical level.

this process is cyclical and cumulative and will snowball with very little effort if you're nearly as passionate as the "bro, theres no soul in it tho bro" crowd thinks they are.

Xiaoxi 12-26-2012 11:08 PM

Quote:
Unless you're Mozart.

You're right. Mozart is 95% learned, 5% inspiration. He started to hone his craft from birth.

Pure inspiration and "expression" is shitty+boring at worst, and unreliable+inefficient at best.

AeolianWolf 12-27-2012 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiaoxi
Pure inspiration and "expression" is shitty+boring at worst, and unreliable+inefficient at best.

very well said, i couldn't agree more.

will42 12-28-2012 12:29 AM

Quote:
Unless you're Mozart.

Most of the Mozart from when he was still learning what he was doing is largely inspired (stolen) from Handel.

Composition is a learned process. I can't take composition classes until I have finished four semesters of music theory, and those will barely scratch the surface.