UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   Guitar Techniques (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Should you do directional picking when tremolo picking? (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1580211)

Templar0220 12-29-2012 05:37 PM

Should you do directional picking when tremolo picking?
 
If your playing through a tremolo picking riff across different strings should you use directional picking at all times? For example:

|-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|---------------------7-7-7-7-6-6-6-6----------5-5-5-5---------4-4-4-4-------|
|-6-6-6-6-5-5-5-5--------------------7-7-7-7----------6-6-6-6----------------|

With something like this when you go down to the A string and back up to the E should you upstroke back up to the E etc? Like where you go from the 6th fret A string to the 7th fret E string etc, should that all be within the direction of the string?

Templar0220 12-29-2012 07:28 PM

Anyone?

Lavatain 12-29-2012 07:36 PM

I think what you're trying to describe is economy picking, which is an actual technique. Look it up. In response to your question, I personally wouldn't. One, as I'm more comfortable alternate picking (rather than economy) and two, because it sounds like something in a metal song, so having an accented down strum on the first note of each group of 4 will sound much tighter.

Templar0220 12-29-2012 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lavatain
I think what you're trying to describe is economy picking, which is an actual technique. Look it up. In response to your question, I personally wouldn't. One, as I'm more comfortable alternate picking (rather than economy) and two, because it sounds like something in a metal song, so having an accented down strum on the first note of each group of 4 will sound much tighter.



Yes I meant economy, just another way of wording it. I get what your saying about the first note being a down strum, but what about metal songs that are super fast tremolo? Some bands I listen to can go upwards of 270-280 bpm playing straight 16th notes switching strings on the fly. Does the same concept still apply?

Lavatain 12-29-2012 07:47 PM

I suppose it's all dependent on the player. Those speeds are unknown to me being a thrash player, so I'm guessing some extreme black metal thing going on here that you want to replicate. Do what's comfortable, and take your time with it. In many ways, perfecting economy picking will lead you to be able to be a much faster player, but it takes a lot of time to get done properly and smoothly. I've attempted, but much prefer alternative picking for the most part.

Just remember that you can't always economy pick, like moving from the first E string 5 to the A string 7 in the example you showed. You have to stay on down-up-down-up, though going back to the E string you can go down-up-down-up-up-down-up-down etc.

Nameless742 12-29-2012 07:59 PM

It is entirely dependent on the player. I play economy, as it is what came naturally to me.
Alternative is more common and I reckon more versatile and rewarding in the long run for trickier licks.
Economy for 3 notes-per-string is phenomonal but for tremelo I'd stick with the alternative.

Templar0220 12-29-2012 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nameless742
It is entirely dependent on the player. I play economy, as it is what came naturally to me.
Alternative is more common and I reckon more versatile and rewarding in the long run for trickier licks.
Economy for 3 notes-per-string is phenomonal but for tremelo I'd stick with the alternative.


Just to make sure I understand you correctly, you said with tremolo picking itd be best to stick to alternate and not economy?

Nameless742 12-29-2012 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Templar0220
Just to make sure I understand you correctly, you said with tremolo picking itd be best to stick to alternate and not economy?


Yeah. Economy good for 3 notes per string(or odd numbers).
Down up down, down up down, down up down.

Templar0220 12-29-2012 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nameless742
Yeah. Economy good for 3 notes per string(or odd numbers).
Down up down, down up down, down up down.


thank you


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:37 AM.

Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.