UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   Guitar Gear & Accessories (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Gain, and overdrive question (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1580219)

target4998 12-29-2012 07:04 PM

Gain, and overdrive question

Hi all,

Sorry for the newbie question, i hope you can help.

I have a fender strat, and maverick F1 that i play through a line 6 spider IV. The question is regarding the fender.

Id like to boost the "gain" if possible so i can achieve a raw rocky tone, basically im looking for the sort of tone from dead or alive solo, screamy pinch harmonics and so on. Its only a practice and but ill be honest im not overly impressed. Is there any way i can add a pedal to boost the gain / overdrive through the fender? If so what would you recommend? and also what would you recommend to switch between clean and over driven channels.

Thanks all.

Kev

Wesbanez 12-29-2012 07:14 PM

Ts, I think you're a little confused. We people talk about boosting things (particularly with pedals) they're talking about boosting the amp with the increased signal, not the guitar.

In your case, this would not work, as that Spider amp of yours is not "boostable". Solid state amps in generally, but especially cheapo modelling amps, are simply not designed to interact with pedals in a natural way. All the tones you will ever get are in the amp already.

With a better amp that responds to the particulars of different guitars, pickups are where your guitars output is boosted/tweaked/whatever.

As for switching between channels, does your amp even have more than one channel? I think you need to read up more on what's possible with your amp.

Make sense?

lucky1978 12-29-2012 07:17 PM

Im confused...are you sayin' you wanna get a metal tone out of a strat and a spider amp?

target4998 12-29-2012 07:35 PM

I understand the difference between the pick ups and amp. hence why i'm looking at boosting the "amp" not guitar. Im looking to boost the "gain" not achieve a metal tone, id use the maverick for that. Im looking for a decent set up that wont cost me the earth, i'm a bedroom guitarist only thats become hugely frustrated by being limited to "metal" and "insane" options on the amp. Id be prepared to sell the amp and start again if thats what needed but im not after anything thats going to cost the earth. could i not simply plug in a boss style peddle that boosts gain output ? and yes im confused...

heres the amp if youd like a closer look

Thanks again

heres the amp if you wanted a closer look, http://www.thomann.de/gb/line6_spid...XHLtAod3 jQAXQ

Dave_Mc 12-29-2012 07:38 PM

you really need valves (in the amp, i mean) for what you're talking about to work properly.

how much money can you realistically save?

Wesbanez 12-29-2012 07:46 PM

You could spend top dollar on a nice crunchy overdrive or distortion pedal, but running that through your Spider wouldn't sound great.

Then all you've done is waste money you could have put towards an amp that'll do the sounds you want out of the box.

target4998 12-29-2012 07:49 PM

I dont really have a limit, but obviously something like a mesa cabinet would be out the question.

Artemis Entreri 12-29-2012 08:13 PM

Mesa cabs are pretty expensive but their amps are the real bank killers...

MaXiMuse 12-29-2012 08:15 PM

Like said before. The Line6 Spider serie are the only amps I would never be found dead with besides the amp from starter packs. I've never got an even acceptable clean tone of of those things. I would really, really, really advice you to buy another amp.

You don't necessarily need valves, with good playing and tweaking the EQ and maybe a boost/OD pedal you can get good results out of something like a Fender Frontman. But be advised most of the time it's not that you NEED more gain but you WANT more gain.

ma_tt11 12-29-2012 08:16 PM

To answer your other question - to switch channels on the amp, you'd need one of their FBV shortboard pedals or whatever. Line 6 makes their own channel selectors for their Spider amps that are sold separately.

amycoin 12-29-2012 08:23 PM

If you want a good tube amp at a good price check out carvin, http://www.carvinguitars.com/guitaramps/ the sound really nice and there cheap too.

Perverockstar69 12-29-2012 08:37 PM

Raw rock, cheap, tube and great sounding? Laney Cub 12.

Offworld92 12-29-2012 09:10 PM

Where are you located in the world?

ihartfood 12-29-2012 11:25 PM

Hey man, sounds to me like you need a new amp and that's what you're looking for. The spider is geared more towards metal players.

I'd look at another practice amp like a Fender Mustang or Vox Valvetronix if you're going for just home practice, although a small tube amp like the aforementioned Laney Cub, Fender Blues Jr, Marshall DSL401 combo, or Peavey Vypyr tube might be worth a look as well.

Blktiger0 12-30-2012 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihartfood
Hey man, sounds to me like you need a new amp and that's what you're looking for. The spider is geared more towards metal players.

I'd look at another practice amp like a Fender Mustang or Vox Valvetronix if you're going for just home practice, although a small tube amp like the aforementioned Laney Cub, Fender Blues Jr, Marshall DSL401 combo, or Peavey Vypyr tube might be worth a look as well.

+311

The issue you're having is simply the amp itself. That is literally the worst amp I've ever played, heard, etc. Every other amp I've played or heard has at least been decent at one tone, maybe two. The spider isn't good at anything other than silence. When it's turned off is when it sounds it's best.

I would advise you to get either a nicer modelling amp or a smaller tube combo. If you could give us your location, what genres and bands you're playing style is most similar to, your budget, and whether or not you are willing to buy used, we can give you much better andmroe personalized answers. :cheers:

target4998 12-30-2012 01:23 PM

Firstly guys thanks for all your help.

So we've worked out I bought the worse amp ever... with that said it will be on ebay within the week! Now i need a new amp.

My location is near stratford upon avon UK, I play anything from Alter bridge stuff, to Eric clapton, paul kossoff, my music taste is varied. Bad company, Free, Alterbridge, incubus, fleetwood mac, white snake, led zep, cavo, black stone cherry, acdc, stone sour.... and so on. I would buy used, and id set a budget of no more the 300-400 closer to 300 the better.

Cheers all

Volcz 12-30-2012 01:30 PM

Marshall DSL401 or Peavey Vypyr Tube

Artemis Entreri 12-30-2012 01:33 PM

Do you plan on gigging at all or do you just play in your room?

target4998 12-30-2012 01:40 PM

this is the sort of tone im after.

target4998 12-30-2012 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis Entreri
Do you plan on gigging at all or do you just play in your room?

Im a bedroom guitarist mate, maybe the odd bbq and jam with mates in the pub but thats it I dont plan to gig i get too nervous and forget everything :rolleyes: