UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   Guitar Gear & Accessories (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Help finding hotter start pu's!! (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1580304)

red.guitar 12-30-2012 12:58 PM

Help finding hotter start pu's!!

Gooday!

I'm looking for a little help picking out some new, hotter pickups for my 85' mij superstrat. Its the model that come with the schallar floating bridge, and microtilt.

I love the way the guitar plays. As soon as you pick it up, I get this cool vibe from it, and whatever pickups are in it, makes this thing sound just like its outta the 60's. This is cool for my personal use, but its a little too thin to use with my band. We play rock/punk/pop, and I find this beast just sounds a little too thin, and gets lost in the mix.

I was thinking of swapping the pu's to something a little hotter. Does anyone have any suggestions? I'm usually a lp guy, so I'm a bit of a noob when it comes to pickins out single coils.

I'm also wondering if anybody knows if the 85' mij body is routed to take a humbucker? If so, what would you guys suggest for a ssh setup, with a possible coil tap on the hum?

My plan is to just get a whole new pickguard wired so I can easily swap it back if I want to at any point.

Ill be playing it throgh a jet city jca50h into a 212 mesa cab. Our sound is sort of like a cross between foo fighters, our lady peace and buck cherry guitar wise. As the only guitarist, I try to keep my tone heavy and tight.

Cheers,

Sp

falcon1439 12-30-2012 01:10 PM

What's your budget? Could you stretch to bareknuckle pickups or not?

Charvel1995 12-30-2012 01:13 PM

Budget, location, preferences?

Also, just take the pickguard off your guitar and look at the body route to see if it can fit a humbucker.

How hot do you want?

red.guitar 12-30-2012 01:14 PM

I'm hopinh ti get the whole job done for 250-300 cad. What's the prices like on the bareknuckles?

I don't have my internethooked up yet, so I'm stuck on my blackberry for a few days :(

Edit: I'm not hoping to get crazy metal tones outta this thing or anything, and I realise single coils won't sound as heavy as humbuckers. For comparasion, I got sd alico 2's in my lp. I'm able to achive a smooth heavy tone and pinch harmonics no problem with this setup. I'd like to have a similar setup on my strat.

Charvel1995 12-30-2012 01:40 PM

Well, I notice you're in Sask, and I don't see any BKP dealers in Saskatchewan. Only in Manitoba, Quebec, and Ontario.

Seymour Duncan does single soil hum cancelling pickups. Look at the Hot Rails. But they may be too hot for what you want, I'm a fan of DiMarzio injectors myself. I'd shy away from EMG pickups, but that's just me.

Robbgnarly 12-30-2012 01:59 PM

Bare Knuckle are diecent pickups, but they are way over priced for what you get. I have seen the hype dye down quite a bit in the last yr. Duncan and Dimarzio are every bit as good and 1/2 the price, And they have more selection also.

You would be good with something like the JBjr in the bridge. It is not as hot as the hot rails but it is pretty hot

red.guitar 12-30-2012 02:08 PM

Thanks for the suggestions! When I get some web access, ill have to take a better look at the sd's and dimarizos.

I love my sd's and I've heard a lot of good about their other products as well so maybe that's the best route for me to go.

Ill have to see what the local long and mcquade has here. I can always order online as well.

Maximus_2005 12-30-2012 08:44 PM

Is it a fat strat?

Im running an injector in the neck and full size jb i the bridge in my mim strat which i think sounds pretty good.

Otherwise you could look into some rail pickups

dkunick 12-30-2012 09:30 PM

Passive SD Hotrails, Dimarzio Protrack (very full almost P90 sounding), D'Allen SCs are very good/have his 54/69 Hot Vintage set in my Strat...active EMG or SD Blackout SCs.

red.guitar 12-31-2012 11:11 AM

Okay, so I think I'm starting to narrow my options down a little...

1. SD hot rails
2. Dimarzio injectors
3. Dimarzio protrack

I'm a huge fan of sd, and know that they make a great product, but I've also always wanted to give dimarzios a try. I'm not quite sure what to do here. Ill see what long and mcquade has.

steven seagull 12-31-2012 12:09 PM

The Duncan Everything Axe set is a pretty decent solution to beefing up a strat, don't get me wrong it won't sound as much like a strat any more but it'll definitely have more oomph...JB jr in the bridge, Duckbucker in the middle and a lil 59 in the neck.

Charvel1995 12-31-2012 02:21 PM

Hot Rails can handle basically anything that you throw at them, genre wise. But are geared towards metal and the like.

terribleguitar 12-31-2012 02:29 PM

If tou want hotter pickups for your START, look no further:

They were specially designed for a Start
:D