UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   Musician Talk (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   what scale goes with the chord progression; C Am F G? (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1580508)

RonaldPoe 12-31-2012 07:19 PM

what scale goes with the chord progression; C Am F G?

Excuse me guys, what scale would you use with the chord progression; C Am F G? I'm new here and despite playing guitar for almost 3 years, I don't really know. For the record I was trying to transcribe/Solo over The Red Zone (Insane Black Remix), found here . Please respond, thanks. :shrug:

AvengedReno 12-31-2012 07:47 PM

I just found this great program where you input the chords in a progression and it suggests scales that go with it and vice versa. I tried it and it said C major or A natural minor. Would you like the link for the page?

KidZero 12-31-2012 08:27 PM

The C Major scale would be fine.

AnthonyatSNB 12-31-2012 08:29 PM

Ditto. The C major progression will serve you well :cheers:

RonaldPoe 12-31-2012 09:48 PM

Thanks guys, but I kinda figured this out by searching on google. I find Am (the relative minor of C major) works best. My guitar teach taught me that the progression was C Am F G. Anyway how would you solo/cover that?

Thanks again.

macashmack 12-31-2012 11:54 PM

This Sound like the harmonies pull towards A as the tonic, so the key is A minor.
As for scales, don't limit yourself to the A minor scale. All 12 tones can be hit. Try making lines with the other 5 notes as well. I find a good way to do this is to do little chromatic walks.

Hail 01-01-2013 12:03 AM

the chromatic scale

rockingamer2 01-01-2013 12:05 AM

That progression is in the key of C major, not Am. To solo, use the C major scale. Feel free to add outside notes as well.

I also suggest to learn theory so you don't have to depend on the Internet. Those scale programs are at best a crutch to your understanding and at worst gives you the completely wrong impression about chords, scales and keys. The link in my sig is a good place to start.

Hail 01-01-2013 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockingamer2
That progression is in the key of C major, not Am. To solo, use the C major scale. Feel free to add outside notes as well.

also this

it may as well be a I IV V I, cmon guys get yer heads in the game

macashmack 01-01-2013 12:09 AM

Quote:

Really? It doesn't sound like C vaj to me, more like A finer.
Well, different strokes for different folks ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hail
also this

it may as well be a I IV V I, cmon guys get yer heads in the game

Doesn't sound like it resolves to C though.

rockingamer2 01-01-2013 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macashmack
Really? It doesn't sound like C vaj to me, more like A finer.
Well, different strokes for different folks ;)

I honestly have no idea why you think that. The G at the end really cements C as the tonic.

macashmack 01-01-2013 12:14 AM

Quote:
I honestly have no idea why you think that. The G at the end really cements C as the tonic.

I don't know it just sounds overall minor to me
Maybe cause i've been transcribing the downtown abby theme which is in Am and that note is in my head like a malignant tumor :shrug:

Shit I feel like an idiot the key is E minor those chords are wrong.

Hail 01-01-2013 12:15 AM

Am

that note

you're killin me here kid

what does that even mean, it sounds minor. there's literally a dominant->tonic relationship how could it possibly, what

macashmack 01-01-2013 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hail
Am

that note

you're killin me here kid

what does that even mean, it sounds minor. there's literally a dominant->tonic relationship how could it possibly, what

I was wrong, it's not Am. But it ain't no C major.
It sounds like E minor.

jazz_rock_feel 01-01-2013 12:48 AM

I have a feeling that mac is drunk.

chronowarp 01-01-2013 12:53 AM

jesus crust.

RonaldPoe 01-01-2013 01:06 AM

Thanks for your tips, I think I'll finally get around to learning C Major scale. How do you solo with scales or transcribe this anyway? Sorry for these noob questions, I'm just curious. To the guy who said I need to learn music theory, I know plenty but not how to apply it. Also I was using A Minor Pentatonic for this (I learned to play it in multiple positions) for this and sorry for rambling. Thanks for the advice. :haha:

macashmack 01-01-2013 01:06 AM

How does this piece sound lie C major to you? It doesn't sound like c major at all it opens with an Eminor chord then goes to a G major them an A major and back to the E minor
Also happy new year everyone :D

rockingamer2 01-01-2013 01:41 AM

Oh. I get it now. I was just answering the first question regarding the C Am F G progression. But after finding a better video I get what you're saying.

Yeah, the chords in song are Em G A, then eventually goes to Em C D G. This uses the E minor scale. Then it goes to an E minor chord (still E minor scale), modulates up to G minor (now use the G minor scale). Then the second progression comes in again, then end with a modulation to F minor (F minor scale).

macashmack 01-01-2013 01:51 AM

Oh i see. It's my fault cause in the beginning i was saying that it was A minor so you guys thought i was talking about the C am F G prog. and I was actually talking about the piece but i was wrong anyway because it's in E minor thus the wackiness.