UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   Musician Talk (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   How do guitarists come up with crazy ideas? (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1580598)

MattyPS 01-01-2013 12:13 PM

How do guitarists come up with complex ideas?

Hi there,

I was thinking about songwriting lately.

One could basically play anything with a lot of practice, even if it's fast and very technical.

But, how can someone invent such guitar parts? Let's take the song "Frantic Disembowelment" for example. It's crazy.

What happens in the head of the musician while creating such a song?

Hail 01-01-2013 01:02 PM

alex webster wrote it. he knows his shit and knows how to make music that he enjoys hearing and playing.

it's actually a very straight forward song, just painfully fast.

sizzlefizzle 01-01-2013 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyPS

But, how can someone invent such guitar parts? Let's take the song "Frantic Disembowelment" for example. It's crazy.

bath salts maybe?

Artemis Entreri 01-01-2013 01:07 PM

Some people are performers, some people are composers and most people are a bit of both. As for what goes through their head, that varies dramatically. I write nearly entirely by feel for guitar (and 6 years of music theory education) but when I'm writing for an ensemble there's a lot of thought about instrument range and timbre and overall orchestration. The notes are in my head and I put them on paper.

00Nevan00 01-01-2013 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hail
alex webster wrote it.

He didn't. Pat O'Brien wrote the music and Paul wrote the lyrics :)

Hail 01-01-2013 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00Nevan00
He didn't. Pat O'Brien wrote the music and Paul wrote the lyrics :)

yeah my b i just assume webster writes anything good they do because

well, let's face it

CarsonStevens 01-01-2013 04:20 PM

Once you know the basics of melody construction (and, to a lesser extent, harmonizing), writing melodies and solos becomes a LOT easier.

That said, there's no magic formula. If there were, every song would be a hit.

The_Sophist 01-04-2013 09:21 PM

The same way people come up with complex ideas in any field, they get REALLY good at piecing together the basics. As a musician you'll generally go from (note: huge oversimplification) learning to peice together notes into chords and phrases. Next you'll learn to peice together phrases and chords, then entire movements and so on. Once you can manhandle an idea or technique, move on the next more complicated one until it's all just like breathing.

HotspurJr 01-05-2013 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyPS

Okay, that's not my genre, but I think the process is the same.

You can write anything that you can hold in your hear and play. If you spend all your time learning how to HEAR and play fast, hyper-technical things then you will start to be able to write them.

The only reason something like that seems so "crazy" to you is because you can't really hold it in your head. You can't "think" it, with pitch and time precision. So it seems like it's just a technical thing.

But if your head, as a musician, is completely wrapped around sounds like that, if you really understand them on a core level (not academically, but musically) then they're not so far to write. In fact, they come out of you naturally.

If you develop your ear to the point where you can pick up stuff like that quickly by ear, I guarantee you that you'll be able to start writing stuff like that and it won't seem so crazy.

GoldenGuitar 01-06-2013 02:14 AM

Hard work and a lot of time, that's about 95% of it.