UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   Guitar Techniques (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Which scale? (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1580696)

Klinze 01-01-2013 10:20 PM

Which scale?

Hey out there.

I made a really cool riff with the chords: Eb6, Abm7, Abm6

But what scale can I play solo over that? :)

Regards! =)

honestlies 01-01-2013 11:58 PM

You should be able to use a Eb minor or even the Eb minor pentatonic. Perhaps the Eb blues scale.

bangoodcharlote 01-02-2013 01:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by honestlies
You should be able to use a Eb minor or even the Eb minor pentatonic. Perhaps the Eb blues scale.
I would love to know how you determined that.

There's no standard Western scale that contains the notes that form your chords. Standard Western scales don't have three consecutive half-steps. Thus, to stay in key (with a really loose definition of in key -- no, a wrong definition, but it makes sense in my head) you'll have to change what scale you're playing.

Over Eb6, I would go with the Eb major pentatonic with the sixth added in. Over the other two chords, Ab minor pentatonic, Ab blues, and Ab Dorian should be good. Those scales are all quite related, though explaining why that's the case goes beyond my competence late at night.

Oh, no...I mentioned a mode: dorian. Do not concern yourself with what exactly a mode is. Their real definition is quite disappointing. Just think of dorian as the natural major scale with a major sixth rather than a minor sixth -- a slightly different flavor of the standard minor scale.

You wrote down the notes used in your chords before you posted, right? It's much more important for you to understand why I was able to determine all of this that it is for you to be able to solo over your progression.

(Please, all...avoid mentioning pitch-axis theory? Klinze, just consider what you're doing by switching between those scales as altering the flavor of your scale to best-fit the chord over which your lead is played.)

Klinze 01-02-2013 03:12 PM

Thanks for your posts.

I'm very familiar with all of the theory. I just wanted to have your opinions because I think the chords are a funny not normal chord progression.

I think the reason for honestlies to say Ebm scale is because the Abm7 is the dominant to Ebm (well not the ''real'' dominant, because it's a minor and not major, but you get my point) and the Abm6 also has a dominant feel. :) You can create both the Abm7 and the Abm6 from the Ebm scale so.. :) Hope I could also help you when you have given me your opinion :)

mdc 01-02-2013 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klinze
Hey out there.

I made a really cool riff with the chords: Eb6, Abm7, Abm6

But what scale can I play solo over that? :)

Regards! =)

I'm interested to see how you voice those chords...

Klinze 01-02-2013 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdc
I'm interested to see how you voice those chords...

Well - here you go then.

Eb6 Abm7 Abm6
e--x---------x---------x
b--11------12--------12
g--12------11--------10
d--10------x----------x
a--x--------11--------11
e--11------x----------x

:)

mdc 01-02-2013 03:42 PM

Just checking.

bangoodcharlote's scale suggestions are perfect.

For a more direct approach, focus on chord tones, especially Cb.

Klinze 01-02-2013 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdc
Just checking.

bangoodcharlote's scale suggestions are perfect.

For a more direct approach, focus on chord tones, especially Cb.

Thanks for your post ;)