UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   Tabs & Chords (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=46)
-   -   progressive power pop? (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1580737)

TheGroovitron 01-02-2013 07:43 AM

progressive power pop?

2 Attachment(s)
is there a practical niche for this sound/tempo? it's like.. really easy for me to write poppy sounding shit like this. i've always played more metal music and i've been jamming on more different stuff lately, but half the time i attempt to write something non-metal i feel like it's way too fast or diatonic or something.

the reason i use this short piece is because it demonstrates an extreme of what i'm talking about. i've written significantly more cheesy parts, but those had purpose and these ideas are for whole songs so idk if it's too much.

anyway, like i said, this is an extreme. it's not all going to be major, or hi-hat shuffle, but basically is it worth finishing songs like these or should i just take what i've learned from starting writing them and move forward? there's some more similar ideas and some swing-feel type poppy stuff. i feel like maybe there's potential and room for vocals, which i've never really left a huge amount of room for.

edit: ignore the piano, i realize its a copy/pasted guitar part.

intothe 01-02-2013 09:02 AM

It sounds good man, I'd keep at this if I were you.

TheGroovitron 01-02-2013 09:10 AM

thank you! definitely considered and appreciated!

intothe 01-02-2013 09:23 AM

Np, it sounds like a faster, instrumental version of Algernon Cadwallader, which I like a lot haha.

Wild_One 01-02-2013 09:49 AM

wow, this is pretty good...

keep it up, man. you're doing great

TheGroovitron 01-02-2013 10:28 AM

dude that band is awesome! that's exactly the music i've been hoping to hear, wow!

also thanks a ton Wild! i really do appreciate that!

amonamarthmetal 01-02-2013 02:28 PM

It sounds really similar to Algernon Cadwallader. I liked it, although some of the rhythms need a touch up.

21Fretter 01-03-2013 02:13 PM

When I slowed the tempo to 140, it had a bit of a different feel but I enjoyed it more, a bit less chaotic for me.

I also enjoyed it, why not finish it.

TheGroovitron 01-03-2013 04:29 PM

amonamarthmetal - thank you, glad you dig! i feel you on the rhythms, ill probably lock in something a little more memorable or catchy during the recording process.

21fretter - that's actually initially what i did with it. i felt like it sounded better, but the drums would need to be changed because the hi-hat shuffle doesn't really work at that slow tempo. cool that you enjoyed it, i will probably continue with this soon!

edit: its actually not bad at like 150bpm, kind of a mid point between where the drums work and the guitars work i think.

Wquennasar 01-03-2013 09:09 PM

Sounds pretty good, I'd keep working on it. Definitely slow the tempo down a bit though.

frankibo 01-04-2013 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGroovitron
the hi-hat shuffle doesn't really work at that slow tempo.

It sounds fine to me, I agree it's much better at 140. really liked it though.

21Fretter 01-06-2013 05:19 PM

Excluding track 3 (the lead guitar) also allows the track to still work nicely at 160. I would imagine with vocals, that much lead would conflict quiet a bit anyway.

@160 without track 3 is actually my favourite version so far.