UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   The Pit (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Flipping off a police officer (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1580805)

whatadrag 01-02-2013 04:45 PM

Flipping off a police officer

Do you believe you have this right? I believe it is protected under the 1st amendment of the U.S. Constitution and federal courts have generally ruled in favor of this, to my knowledge.

http://www.time.com/time/nation/art...1923125,00.html

http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/20...al-not-advised/

http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx....E/htm/PE.42.htm

willT08 01-02-2013 04:46 PM

Why don't you just not do it and not worry about the legality of it?

EDIT: Didn't even clock that you tried to refer to it as a right :haha:

Hydra150 01-02-2013 04:47 PM

Why would you want to be a dick?

Joshua Garcia 01-02-2013 04:48 PM

I dunno, but doing this is pretty funny.

metal4eva_22 01-02-2013 04:49 PM

I believe it's protected as well. However you never know when you're going to run into an illiterate cop who confuses insult with assault.

MakinLattes 01-02-2013 04:53 PM

I've never thought about it. Provoking people who could ruin my life isn't a hobby of mine.

ErikLensherr 01-02-2013 04:53 PM

Some NYPD will hassle you for just looking at them too long. By all means it should be a right but I'm not planning on testing it.

AtaBorMan 01-02-2013 04:59 PM

Americans' obsession with their rights is ridiculous. Just use some common sense, you don't have to do something just because you can.

Trowzaa 01-02-2013 05:00 PM

hurr durr fuq da police lol

DardoBoy 01-02-2013 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trowzaa
hurr durr fuq da police lol

This.

Wolfinator-x 01-02-2013 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtaBorMan
Americans' obsession with their rights is ridiculous. Just use some common sense, you don't have to do something just because you can.
Seriously. Americans make me laugh sometimes.

Todd Hart 01-02-2013 05:24 PM

Only if he can rape you with his nightstick. After all, freedom of expression.

crazysam23_Atax 01-02-2013 05:27 PM

Quote:

As an American, I agree with you. Here's the reality, TS...

Cops generally work their asses off dealing with scumbags. Why exactly would you A) NOT show them basic respect ("Yes, sir", "No, sir", don't flip him off, etc.) and B) want to provoke them? How would you feel if you just spent the day booking some petty thief and then some smartass kid flips you off because 1) he says it's protected by the 1st Amendment AND 2) because he thinks it's funny. I'd be pissed.

Edit:
And, for the record, obscenities are NOT protected under the 1st Amendment. The Amendment states:
Quote:
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Obscenity (which is what flipping off a cop is; it's a "Fuck you") are not protected speech. Read this for various laws in obscenity in the US.

TooktheAtrain 01-02-2013 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazysam23_Atax
As an American, I agree with you. Here's the reality, TS...

Cops generally work their asses off dealing with scumbags. Why exactly would you A) NOT show them basic respect ("Yes, sir", "No, sir", don't flip him off, etc.) and B) want to provoke them? How would you feel if you just spent the day booking some petty thief and then some smartass kid flips you off because 1) he says it's protected by the 1st Amendment AND 2) because he thinks it's funny. I'd be pissed.

Maybe this is an american thing, but I'm not sure why cops qualify for respect above and beyond what is considered the norm for everyone else. By all means be polite, but that sir shit? Sounds kinda sycophantic to be honest.

MakinLattes 01-02-2013 05:43 PM

Don't flip them off, don't be sycophants...you're giving us nothing to work with here.

whywefight 01-02-2013 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooktheAtrain
Maybe this is an american thing, but I'm not sure why cops qualify for respect above and beyond what is considered the norm for everyone else. By all means be polite, but that sir shit? Sounds kinda sycophantic to be honest.

Don't get too uptight about the specifics, he was just saying to treat him like a professional, the same way you'd treat doctors and teachers.

And if you think those last two are also sycophantic, than that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Nelshizzle 01-02-2013 05:54 PM

Don't **** with police, period. Never know if they'll pull out a gun and unload 7 shots into your chest for looking at them wrong.

jugglingfreak 01-02-2013 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatadrag
Do you believe you have this right? I believe it is protected under the 1st amendment of the U.S. Constitution and federal courts have generally ruled in favor of this, to my knowledge.

The title of the second article Flipping Off Cops Is Legal, Not Advised

It would fall under disorderly conduct and can get tricky. It's up to the cop to determine at which point you crossed the line from protected speech into disorderly conduct.

It's legal to use foul language, but stand on the sidewalk and start screaming it at passers-by and you will get arrested.

Butt Rayge 01-02-2013 05:56 PM

Well I think you should be allowed to do it, but I also think it's more trouble than it's worth.

Quote:

There seems to be an attitude of "If you don't abuse it, you lose it."

Which is absurd because you should definitely lose it if you abuse it and they've been abusing it forever and are still yet to lose it.

Trowzaa 01-02-2013 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelsean
Don't **** with police, period. Never know if they'll pull out a gun and unload 7 shots into your chest for looking at them wrong.

I know 100% that they won't because our police don't need to carry guns because our country is smart.