UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   The Pit (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   HEY FATASS: New Year, New Bod (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1580851)

lolmnt 01-02-2013 08:23 PM

HEY FATASS: New Year, New Bod

We did these a while ago, but haven't had one in a while. Since a lot of people have New Years Resolutions that involves becoming fit, losing weight, and/or gaining muscle, I figured it would be good to have a place for people to encourage each other, share tips, post your goals, etc.

The main purpose of this whole thing is to get you guys in shape and active. We all have too much sedentary time. Hopefully signing up for this will keep you guys motivated and willing to spend an hour or so a day exercising.

The Nutrition Thread is a great tool.

http://hundredpushups.com

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online...ute_pushup_test

Here's the first post of the last thread (please note that this is not a requirement to join this thread, more of a helpful tool:

Originally Posted by Mistress_Ibanez

Participants:

element4433
Highelf04
palm mute
WCPhils
jetfuel495
gabcd86
crazysam23_Atax
ESPLTDV401DX
K'Nuckles
c3powil
suckersdream
iro-bot31
vintage x metal
TheChaz
AxeToFall
oneblackened
nincompoop
guitarist41
heavyairship
ninnipinni93
uhh_me?
Junglie
shavorules42
guitarxo
jwizzle5786
Shawn1379
fc89konkari
Gorelord666
Burningritual
twowheels
Hydra150
TheReverend724
Alex_WK
ali.guitarkid7
TunerAddict
MrDo0m
AtaBorMan
AnAngrySquirrel
lfcagger
Hebriqui
ChaosInside
steve_muse
Pat_s1t
Cianyx
Våd Hamster
ChaosInside
JustRooster
Godsmack_IV
theogonia777
daytripper75
DimebagLivesOn
jakesmellspoo
Coach Potato

User Goals:

fc89konkari - Running: Half a marathon under 1.50, over 420km during the year, 10km under 47min
element4433 - Run first half marathon, be in a good position to do a triathlon, and gain 5-10 pounds cleanly
twowheels: jog/run the Great Scottish Run half marathon September at around the two hour mark
Hydra150 - be more active (walking, swimming, possibly biking, etc) and clean up diet
WCPhils - lose 10-15 pounds by the summer and just get healthier in general
Junglie - Get bench up to 100kg by the end of the year, quit smoking, and sort diet out
Highelf04 - Quit smoking, run Charnwood Hike in April, get into better shape, and look at rejoining the gym when I hit 3rd/final year of uni, and get bitches
Alex_WK - gain lots of muscle
ali.guitarkid7 - 100 pushup challenge
TunerAddict - weigh 180 by end of May
MrDo0m - continue getting in shape
AtaBorMan - Lose fat, get paid* editorialized
AnAngrySquirrel - Build muscle, dunk on bitches
guitarxo - Run 10k, Swim 20k, Dance for 1 hr without stopping, and Visible abs
lfcagger - By late march, get 1k run time to 3 minutes, 100 pushup thing. 200 squat thing, and Continue with and improve upon Ulster core strength program
Hebriqui - 100 pushup challenge
ChaosInside - 100 pushup challenge, 200 sit ups
steve_muse - gain weight and muscle
Pat_s1t - Lose 60 pounds by July
Cianyx - Increase lifts, lose fat, and gain muscle
Våd Hamster - bench 120 again
ChaosInside - this program thing
JustRooster - lose ten pounds, get two mile time under thirteen minutes
Godsmack_IV - increase strength
theogonia777 - Lose 20-30 before starting HRT and Be able to dunk by the end of the year
daytripper75 - Lose 15 pounds add muscle definition (probably for the ladies)
DimebagLivesOn - half marathon in March
jakesmellspoo - lose gut, drastically improve cardio/quit smoking
Coach Potato - gain muscle

whywefight 01-02-2013 08:24 PM

**** that noise

edit: I respectfully decline

Highelf04 01-02-2013 08:27 PM

I'm in the middle of it...
If that counts

lolmnt 01-02-2013 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highelf04
I'm in the middle of it...
If that counts
It does. I've been doing it for twoish years.

This isn't a "let's all do the same thing" thread. It's more about getting the Pit more active/in shape.

Joshua Garcia 01-02-2013 08:28 PM

Lolnah.jpeg

Edit: Does bench pressing a guitar count as a workout? Because I can. I totally workout.

palm mute 01-02-2013 08:31 PM

I've already been in the process for a couple years now, but sure sign me up.

metal4eva_22 01-02-2013 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by element4433
The Nutrition Thread is a great tool.

You get better answers from /fit/. And /fit/ isn't helpful.

I find the best way to start running is to monitor your heart rate and make sure it doesn't get above 160bpm. None of this stop and start shit. Just get a decent heart rate monitor and adjust your pace.

EDIT: Actually there are a few helpful users in the nutrition thread. Not too many, but a few.

WCPhils 01-02-2013 08:31 PM

I'm starting a new workout regimen tomorrow. My parents have a treadmill, elliptical, and stationary bike so I think I'm going use them for a little bit and then start P90X a little bit down the road.

I tried P90X a couple months ago and just didn't have the cardio for it anymore. Ever since I stop playing on a sports team when I finished highschool my endurance took a large downhill plummet. I have to build it back up.

lolmnt 01-02-2013 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCPhils
I'm starting a new workout regimen tomorrow. My parents have a treadmill, elliptical, and stationary bike so I think I'm going use them for a little bit and then start P90X a little bit down the road.

I tried P90X a couple months ago and just didn't have the cardio for it anymore. Ever since I stop playing on a sports team when I finished highschool my endurance took a large downhill plummet. I have to build it back up.
I've never done P90X, but do they really push you into it so much that you have to have some prior stamina built up?

palm mute 01-02-2013 08:40 PM

lol new thread title

lolmnt 01-02-2013 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by palm mute
lol new thread title
Need to be more attention getting

Amuro Jay 01-02-2013 08:44 PM

stop mocking me!!!

WCPhils 01-02-2013 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by element4433
I've never done P90X, but do they really push you into it so much that you have to have some prior stamina built up?

There is technically a buildup as you go along but it's all up to the person how many sets they do/how much weigh they lift/ect. And it can definitely be hard to go the whole 60 minutes each day if you're really out of shape I suppose.

Like, day 1 is shoulders and back so it's all pushups and pullups. And it will say do as many as you can and then you're supposed to keep building on it every week.

You don't have to do prior stuff, I just feel like I would benefit more from it if I went into it a bit more prepared.

Amuro Jay 01-02-2013 08:44 PM

actually i just realized i talk about how fat i am a lot but i'm still fairly thin

oh well sign me up i gotta shave off some pounds

theogonia777 01-02-2013 08:44 PM

New bod? You guys have no idea.

ChrisBW 01-02-2013 08:47 PM

I'm not fat :mad:

So-Cal 01-02-2013 08:49 PM

I feel like i should do something to get in shape. I was thinking about swimming, but maybe I will try out the running, although I've never been much of a runner. I remember attempting a 100 push up a day challenge a few years ago and that made me feel pretty good so I might try that as well.

Hopefully posting here will give me motivation to do something.

hriday_hazarika 01-02-2013 08:49 PM

I've lost ten kilograms in the past few months without having done any exercise consciously.

Then again, I have to climb four flights of stairs everyday, to get to my flat. :p:

I think I'll just keep taking it easy. I've never lost as much weight as I did when I went to the gym and thought, "aight, we gon' lose some weight and shit".

This reminds of this one story in which Betty just goes about life as usual, and Veronica goes into hardcore exercise mode, and by the end of the week or something, Betty is the one who is more fit.

Always liked Betty. :)

Axeaman 01-02-2013 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metal4eva_22
You get better answers from /fit/. And /fit/ isn't helpful.

I find the best way to start running is to monitor your heart rate and make sure it doesn't get above 160bpm. None of this stop and start shit. Just get a decent heart rate monitor and adjust your pace.

EDIT: Actually there are a few helpful users in the nutrition thread. Not too many, but a few.

Depends what you want though. If you just want to loose fat, then simply run and don't stop but if you want to have at least some muscles then you have to do stop and start :)

jwizzle5786 01-02-2013 08:57 PM

Yeah I'm in. Been doing this for a while, and am going to get even more serious tomorrow.