UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   Guitar Gear & Accessories (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   2nd broken egnater. new amp? (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1581090)

Vicious_Turtle 01-04-2013 01:12 AM

2nd broken egnater. new amp?

hey guys, so i got my replacement egnater vengeance and it is worse than the first. this one doesnt even produce sound. looks like all the tubes dont heat up. at all......im not sure what to do. not reall excited to try a 3rd. i seem to have bad luck with amps. i had 3 peavey valvekings, all of which broke. 2 bugera 6262's the first broke, and my replacement bugera makes a loud popping and fizzy noise every so often. even after i changed tubes. so its basically also broken. now 2 egnaters broke. thats 7 broken amps. wtf. whats is reliable? what do i buy?

cdr_salamander 01-04-2013 01:18 AM

I'm sorry to hear about your bad luck mate, it seems to be striking a lot of people here lately.

When you get the amp, do you go through and make sure all the tubes are seated properly before you plug it in and turn it on? I mean for the QC issues that Egnater has been experiencing, you still don't see too many lemons, especially two in a row.

R45VT 01-04-2013 01:21 AM

Almost sounds like that guy from the other thread with poor electrical supply in his house.

311ZOSOVHJH 01-04-2013 01:23 AM

when I saw this thread I was going to come in and say

"ish....move on and find something else"

But.....7 broken amps is absurd. Are all of your amps delivered to you? Maybe your UPS guy has it in for you :haha

Sorry. Not funny. I really like the Vengeance but something is going on here.

Ippon 01-04-2013 01:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 311ZOSOVHJH
when I saw this thread I was going to come in and say

"ish....move on and find something else"

But.....7 broken amps is absurd. Are all of your amps delivered to you? Maybe your UPS guy has it in for you :haha

Sorry. Not funny. I really like the Vengeance but something is going on here.

Agreed! :wtf:

Also, the first thing I do is always remove the cover to ensure everything's seated properly.

cdr_salamander 01-04-2013 01:27 AM

I still like Egnater.

inb4 Blktiger.

Vicious_Turtle 01-04-2013 01:27 AM

im serious! its getting absurd! ill take the amp out, plug it in. let it warm up. and shit just breaks!

Viban 01-04-2013 01:29 AM

You should get your house wiring looked at, I find it highly unlikely that you can manage to find that many lemons.

Ippon 01-04-2013 01:30 AM

Reminds me of a girl ... she'll touch somebody's laptop and it'll go blue screen or the monitor or HD will die, etc.

AcousticMirror 01-04-2013 01:38 AM

you need to try and get stuff shipped to the store so that you can try it out first.

trashedlostfdup 01-04-2013 01:38 AM

i had a total of four dead JCA2112RC's from musicians friend brand new out of box and just got them to swap a Orange PPC212OB cab for it and i think we were both happy.

you do have something weird going on there though.

R45VT 01-04-2013 02:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdr_salamander
I still like Egnater.

inb4 Blktiger.

:haha:
At least his works. Its always nice to have a guy around who knows what it should sound like and how it operates.

We know the Bugeras are DOA a bunch. Can factor that out...

FedEx UPS.....big factor. Maybe they throw it around since its heavy.

Mind_Reader7 01-04-2013 04:13 AM

Get an electrician in....
Or at least run it from a UPS or something.

Offworld92 01-04-2013 04:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicious_Turtle
thats 7 broken amps. wtf. whats is reliable? what do i buy?

That's why you should get an MIA Peavey. :o

That is ridiculous though. My first reaction with that number of problems is user error, though I realize that's probably not the case here.

Where are you buying from?

AxSilentxLine 01-04-2013 06:01 AM

I got a floor model Armageddon as soon as they came out. Runs perfectly. Eats my 6505+ for breakfast. I hope you don't let your experiences taint your view of Egnater it's just a series of unfortunate coincidences, or there's something else at work. Not to be a dick, but you're using actual speaker cables, and running the amps into a working cab with the right impedance setting right?

zl1288 01-04-2013 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxSilentxLine
... but you're using actual speaker cables, and running the amps into a working cab with the right impedance setting right?

I agree that it's important to check this. I know all the amps you've owned are MIC and have had reliability issues, but 7 broken amps sets off alarm bells. Not saying it's definitely due to user error, but it's something you should look into. Are you running all of these amps into the same cab? If so, are you sure that all the speakers in the cab are working?

Sorry to hear about the issues you're having. I love my tourmaster and the other Egnaters I've tried, so it's dissapointing to hear about these reliability issues that keep popping up. Hopefully they can work it out, because they make some killer sounding amps.

greenwgreg 01-04-2013 09:54 AM

I don't know if this helps but I bought this thing that plugs into the wall called a "Kill a Watt." It has an outlet on it and whatever is plugged into it it will display volts coming from the wall, wattage being used, amps being used, etc. It even tracks kWh. I actually was using it to see how much current my Lipo charger for my RC helis was using but I bet it would give you a good idea of how your house power is performing. Can't hurt, its pretty cheap, too.

Viban 01-04-2013 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenwgreg
I don't know if this helps but I bought this thing that plugs into the wall called a "Kill a Watt." It has an outlet on it and whatever is plugged into it it will display volts coming from the wall, wattage being used, amps being used, etc. It even tracks kWh. I actually was using it to see how much current my Lipo charger for my RC helis was using but I bet it would give you a good idea of how your house power is performing. Can't hurt, its pretty cheap, too.

Well that will only display what is being drawn though, not what is being provided, or whether or not there are any problems with the socket or anything.

greenwgreg 01-04-2013 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viban
Well that will only display what is being drawn though, not what is being provided, or whether or not there are any problems with the socket or anything.

If you just plug the Killawatt into the socket, it will display the voltage that is being supplied. For example, mine is reading 119.2v currently, with nothing plugged into it.

Cathbard 01-04-2013 10:39 AM

That's a ridiculous amount of failures. I think you may be cursed. Did you kick an Irish midget or something?