UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   Guitar Gear & Accessories (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Considering a New Speaker for my Boogie (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1581200)

cdgraves 01-04-2013 06:15 PM

Considering a New Speaker for my Boogie

I am considering getting a new speaker to brighten up my tone.

The amp is a Mesa/Boogie DC-5 1x12, currently with a Celestion Black Shadow (8 ohm). I think it's the stock speaker because it has a Mesa logo on it, too. The problem is that the tone is just a little too dark and I'd like something that has more clarity on the bottom end. I enjoy the openness and bass clarity of Fender Deluxe amps (though I dislike other things about them).

I run a pedal board, but the tone is similar going straight into the amp. Hopefully this is something that a speaker alone can improve.

I'd like to keep it under $200.

So what speakers might open my DC-5's tone up and make a little brighter?

BCKRedBaron 01-04-2013 08:53 PM

I used a DC-3 for a while on top of cabs with V30s in it. With those speakers it had some clarity and bite, but just had a ton of mids. Maybe I didn't know how to eq it, but sometimes the mids were oppressive. But Vintage 30s might be a place to start looking.

Classic Fender amps often had JBLs in them, so you might check those out as well. I'm not sure if they'll be within your budget, though.

Hopefully someone like DaveMC will pop in here with some input...

One other thing that could help is a tube change. Do you have the stock tubes in it?

Robbgnarly 01-04-2013 08:55 PM

Order a V30 from mesa, they are only $129

bluestratplayer 01-05-2013 01:23 AM

Wgs reaper 30 would be worth a look

cjb2293 01-05-2013 01:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbgnarly
Order a V30 from mesa, they are only $129

+1

trashedlostfdup 01-05-2013 02:14 AM

may be a little odd but.

buy a line6 spider-valve cab. full V30, ditch the cab for $100 and have four speakers and sell off what you don't want. they are going for under $300 in good shape.

thats how i do it anyway.

Blktiger0 01-05-2013 05:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluestratplayer
Wgs reaper 30 would be worth a look

+1

I just got a pair for my 2x12 and they sound like they would do just what you want. They're extremely clear, articulate, and tight. They're a V30 clone, but they have a less intense spike that is more in the middle mids than upper-mids, and the highs aren't as harsh.

I got them because my previous speakers were too dark, too bassy, and not clear enough. I have an Egnater Vengeance, which is pretty dark, and they went quite well with it.

Robbgnarly 01-05-2013 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blktiger0
+1

I just got a pair for my 2x12 and they sound like they would do just what you want. They're extremely clear, articulate, and tight. They're a V30 clone, but they have a less intense spike that is more in the middle mids than upper-mids, and the highs aren't as harsh.

I got them because my previous speakers were too dark, too bassy, and not clear enough. I have an Egnater Vengeance, which is pretty dark, and they went quite well with it.

The Reaper are not V30 clones, they are G12H30 clones. The WGS Veteran 30 and Retro 30 are their V30 clones.

Dave_Mc 01-05-2013 08:57 AM

i think the black shadow is a classic lead. i'd have said it was brighter than a v30 (in terms of treble), but it's also a lot chunkier on the bass and has fewer mids and upper mids than a v30 (which could let you argue it's also darker-sounding).

a v30 might work, in other words. or it might not. it just depends on what you mean, some people think v30s are bright because they're all upper mids and have a really tight bass, while others think they're dark because the treble is rolled off.

ikey_ 01-05-2013 12:05 PM

g12H30 is correct. a majority of WGS speakers besides the custom ones are clones, but darn good if not better clones.

Blktiger0 01-05-2013 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbgnarly
The Reaper are not V30 clones, they are G12H30 clones. The WGS Veteran 30 and Retro 30 are their V30 clones.

My bad, I was super tired last night reading this and I read "Retro 30" not "Reaper 30"

:haha:

However, the RETRO 30 would be a good V30 clone. ;)

cdgraves 01-05-2013 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Mc
i think the black shadow is a classic lead. i'd have said it was brighter than a v30 (in terms of treble), but it's also a lot chunkier on the bass and has fewer mids and upper mids than a v30 (which could let you argue it's also darker-sounding).

a v30 might work, in other words. or it might not. it just depends on what you mean, some people think v30s are bright because they're all upper mids and have a really tight bass, while others think they're dark because the treble is rolled off.

This is really helpful, actually. The treble end of the Black Shadow is fantastic because it's a little bit soft compared to other "classic" sounding amps like Fender's, which I find piercing anywhere above bedroom volume. BUT the Black Shadow's lower end is not very well defined, so it lacks the "punch" that you get from a Fender. It just sucks the depth out of my single-coil tone.

It sounds like I should give the V30 a listen. If it tightens up the low end and brings out the twang it should be just what I'm looking for.

Dave_Mc 01-06-2013 08:59 AM

^ no problem

I'm not sure i'd call a v30 twangy, though- to my ears, twang normally means some kind of scoop in the mids, and v30s have a big mid hump. Neither is really fendery, but i'd say a classic lead is more fendery than a v30.

also i think mesa might use slightly different versions of the v30 and classic lead (their black shadow), whereas what i was saying was based on the bog standard celestion retail version.

:)

Cathbard 01-06-2013 01:31 PM

http://www.electrovoice.com/product.php?id=410