UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   Guitar Gear & Accessories (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Wah Wah/Distortion recommendations (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1581222)

nightowl2011 01-04-2013 09:31 PM

Wah Wah/Distortion recommendations

Finally taking the jump and getting my first pedal. My budget is around $100 and looking for a decent wah wah pedal and stompbox.

This is what I'm thinking of getting: Dunlop Original Cry Baby Wah Pedal or Dunlop Cry Baby Classic Fasel Inductor Wah Pedal . Can someone please explain the difference between the two? Thanks.

For distortion I'm going with a Big Muff stompbox.

Are these good choices? Thanks for the help.

deadsmileyface 01-04-2013 10:45 PM

I would try out different Wahs before you pick one. I think the Vox Original Wah is a better wah stock than a crybaby. It works better with my Big Muff too.

To answer your question, the difference is that the Fasel Inductor Wah uses a Fasel Inductor like the original crybaby. Also, I believe the Fasel Inductor Wah is true bypass.

I love my Big Muff, it's a solid choice, but you should try some other ones too. The Big Muff is more of a fuzzstortion, so it's not for everybody.

red.guitar 01-04-2013 10:58 PM

^^ listen to this guy!

I too would go with the Vox over the dunlop. I find it has a much smoother sweep, and a wider range. Try before you buy tho, I've tired some vox wahs that were super quiet, and I've played some that were noisy as hell!

What kinda amp are you running? Depending on that kinda tone youre after, maybe you'd be better off going with a od pedal like the ts-9, maxon, or dunlop whyld od. Just a thought...

deadsmileyface 01-04-2013 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by red.guitar
^^ listen to this guy!

I too would go with the Vox over the dunlop. I find it has a much smoother sweep, and a wider range. Try before you buy tho, I've tired some vox wahs that were super quiet, and I've played some that were noisy as hell!

What kinda amp are you running? Depending on that kinda tone youre after, maybe you'd be better off going with a od pedal like the ts-9, maxon, or dunlop whyld od. Just a thought...

That is exactly why I chose the Vox over the Dunlop.

katalyzt13 01-04-2013 11:31 PM

The Metal Muff is a better distortion pedal. Like they're saying the Big Muff is more fuzz.

Before you go Dunlop or Vox for a Wah, look at the Morley Bad Horsie, the new EHX wahs and also the Digitech wahs - Digitech makes some interesting things, and only have of them are pure junk.

deadsmileyface 01-05-2013 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katalyzt13
The Metal Muff is a better distortion pedal. Like they're saying the Big Muff is more fuzz.

Before you go Dunlop or Vox for a Wah, look at the Morley Bad Horsie, the new EHX wahs and also the Digitech wahs - Digitech makes some interesting things, and only half of them are pure junk.

The Metal Muff actually isn't that great IMO. Really it's a high gain fuzz and it kinda sounds like a can of angry bees. I have heard good things about the Morley Bad Horsie, however, I tried their mini wah and it wasn't doing it for me. The new EHX wah does look pretty cool.

loki_lulamen 01-05-2013 12:38 AM

I've found that Morley wahs seem to work best under high gain. So for an all rounder the vox is a better choice.

TS, what amp are you using? As this will have the most effect on your tone. It will also help us make better recommendations to what will work best for you.

nightowl2011 01-05-2013 10:05 AM

Currently in search of a new amp as well, it's on my "to buy "list. Thanks for all the help in pointing me in the right direction.

loki_lulamen 01-05-2013 02:17 PM

Get the amp first. As it will have the most affect on your sound. From there you build the board.

Certain amps don't like certain pedals and vice versa. They can react differently and can cause tonal problems.

Once you have a decent amp we can more accurately help you with your board.