UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   Guitar Gear & Accessories (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   NGD: Speakers, Cabinet, Art (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1581224)

gumbilicious 01-04-2013 10:03 PM

NGD: Speakers, Cabinet, Art

I have a new amp coming in (excited) and i wanna make sure it's got an appropriate cab. the new amp will be have a modern voicing and when i tried with with my grandpa speakers it just didn't sound optimal. so i asked for these for Christmas

now i am not a huge eminence fan. my favorite eminence speaker tend to be those old 1228K alnico speaker the put in 70's Sunn and Music Man amps. the reason i went with new eminence speakers was simply because those were the speakers that were matched with the amp i am getting and it sounded sick with that cab/speaker combo.

so what speakers are they?

that bottle of Corazon helped me put in the speakers and wire them up. ;)

i have heard the man-o-war is very close to a G12T-75. no idea what the swamp thing is, i am guessing it's an original design. i tried them out a bit, they are a very bright combination with lots of punch. the speakers produce a very musical and controllable feedback that is quite favorable.

unfortunately since the speakers are brand new they will need some break in time to mellow some of the plastic-like harshness. i will try to break these in a bit by the time the amp gets here.

btw, the cab is a new too. i snagged an empty PPC212 for 200 bucks, so now i have two.

i finally got it setup so i can switch out most of my heads so i won't be neglecting so many of my amps anymore.

oh, almost forgot the art. i also got this for christmas:

wasn't expecting this at all. my sisters fiance does custom metal art work and they made me a guitar for christmas. picture does no justice to the piece, it is awesome... and heavier than all hell.

my sister also knit that hat for me too. love that thing

Reincaster 01-04-2013 10:16 PM

I spy firestudio projects, and a eureka?.... hahaha.

Orange Cabinets are outstanding!

Ippon 01-04-2013 10:19 PM

Nice haul!

I also like the Swamp Thang with Texas Heat. :)

:cheers:

gumbilicious 01-04-2013 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reincaster
I spy firestudio projects, and a eureka?.... hahaha.

Orange Cabinets are outstanding!

yup, i never did any NGD for all the rack gear i accumulated last year. i got the eureka for a good deal too, i was actually quite surprised on how well it performs. very happy i got that.

also got a killer deal on some old rane and eden gear too. i think i made out pretty good on the rack gear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ippon
Nice haul!

I also like the Swamp Thang with Texas Heat. :)

i think i am going to play around with speaker combos with that cab. switch stuff out every couple months. i have been hearing a lot about the texas heat so that is on my radar.

red.guitar 01-04-2013 10:45 PM

Nice haul man!

Maybe I missed it, but what type of amp are you making this cab for??

DeathByDestroyr 01-04-2013 11:17 PM

So jealous, everyone is getting new gear and I'm left in the dust once again...

The steel guitar is extra cool!

HNGD!

gumbilicious 01-04-2013 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by red.guitar
Nice haul man!

Maybe I missed it, but what type of amp are you making this cab for??

CEC brigand. it's been held up a bit due to the custom transformer but it's coming soon.

i've been wanting something from craig for a long time so i made a trip over to TN to check out his amps. i was blown away, he puts out a real premium product.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathByDestroyr
So jealous, everyone is getting new gear and I'm left in the dust once again...

The steel guitar is extra cool!

HNGD!

yeah, it is cool as hell. wish my pics did it any kind of justice. they even heat treated the metal so you get all these intricate colors in the metal that look real cool. the detail is astonishing: frets, fret markers, bridge, the heel on the neck... real premium work. weighs about 40 lbs. :eek:

cdr_salamander 01-05-2013 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gumbilicious
i've been wanting something from craig for a long time so i made a trip over to TN to check out his amps. i was blown away, he puts out a real premium product.

+1 to the max. I can vouch.

Also, you have some killer toys man. Grats on the new drivers. I need to open up to Eminence.

greeny23 01-05-2013 12:38 AM

the hell do you have all those moogs for?

gumbilicious 01-05-2013 02:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdr_salamander
+1 to the max. I can vouch.

Also, you have some killer toys man. Grats on the new drivers. I need to open up to Eminence.

yeah, you know. that TFX sounded really badass with my silver bell/blue dog combo btw.

i am still in the sniff butt stage with modern eminence, we'll see how i like them. i get this sneaking suspicion i am gonna end up with a 16 ohm G12K-85 combo'd up with something else. i know my old speakers, but i don't know shit about new ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greeny23
the hell do you have all those moogs for?

:confused:

see, now i know yer messing with me cuz you have to know what moogs are all about.

i love my moogs, i have them set up for whatever right now. i dedicated an output on my firestudio to send out to that chain of moogs... so i can use my moogs for whatever.

sometimes i'll send my bass through it (eden -> firestudio -> moogs). sometimes i'll run my midi stuff through it (I2M or midi keyboard -> software -> firestudio -> moogs).

i actually seem to use it most when watching TV/movies/youtube or listening to music. if the show is getting boring then sometimes it's just fun to mutate the audio to entertain yourself. it's also fun making on-the-fly remixes of whatever music you happen to be listening to, STS9 is real fun to do that with.

probably gonna hook up the HOG into that chain soon. i also wanna expand the moog setup, i already have the wilder/fun ones but i also want their badass expression pedal and the CP-251

R45VT 01-05-2013 02:23 AM

That a nice little set-up you got there. :cheers:

Blktiger0 01-05-2013 05:07 AM

HNED! :cheers:

Hopefully you like them and can give some good reviews of them and comparisons to the older speakers and Celestions.

Speaking of which, I've always thought of the Swamp Thang as the Eminence G12K-100 (aka G12K-85). They seem to both be a speaker that you throw into a cab for that extra punch and sledgehammer bass. They aren't used alone often, but paried with other speakers. I don't know if there's any sort of cloning involved, but they seem to be regarded in a similar fashion.

Dave_Mc 01-05-2013 09:00 AM

sweet :D

greeny23 01-05-2013 09:17 AM

mooooooog.

gregs1020 01-05-2013 11:36 AM

so you like knobs yeah?

:o

HNstuffD, i'd love to have a room like that!

Ippon 01-05-2013 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blktiger0

Speaking of which, I've always thought of the Swamp Thang as the Eminence G12K-100 (aka G12K-85). They seem to both be a speaker that you throw into a cab for that extra punch and sledgehammer bass. They aren't used alone often, but paried with other speakers. I don't know if there's any sort of cloning involved, but they seem to be regarded in a similar fashion.

My Swamp Thangs are broken in and they're a bit tighter than the K100s/K85s, very nice for drop tunings or 7 strings, and I agree they need to be paired with another speaker. I like them with Texas Heats for top end bite.

gumbilicious 01-05-2013 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blktiger0
HNED! :cheers:

Hopefully you like them and can give some good reviews of them and comparisons to the older speakers and Celestions.

i tried to give a little mini review, i will need to break these in a bit to see what they really sound like. i am thinking much of this brightness is because of how new they are.

it will also be hard to see what each one is individually doing because they will be paired together. i didn't know what my webers sounded like by themselves for years. the blue dog is a pretty shrill speaker by itself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregs1020
so you like knobs yeah?

:o

HNstuffD, i'd love to have a room like that!

only your knob greg :rolleyes:

you keep everything in the living room don't ya.

greeny23 01-05-2013 06:32 PM

nah i love moog.

btw email me Gumbi.

ihartfood 01-06-2013 01:03 AM

holy moog, man.

diggin the hat, **** the rest. HNGD! :cheers:

311ZOSOVHJH 01-06-2013 03:30 AM

Holy Crap :wtf:

that is all :D