UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   Electric Guitar (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Schecter is confusing me... (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1581384)

jhalterman 01-05-2013 08:45 PM

Schecter is confusing me...

In my quest for a baritone I found the Schecter Blackjack SLS C-1 EX Baritone. Or is it the C-1 EX Baritone Blackjack? Or just the C-1 EX Baritone? :shrug:

I've decided the best thing was to use Schecter's website as a baseline (because, you know, they're Schecter guitars).

I went on eBay to find one and, low and behold, there she was! The guy even installed a Seymour Duncan JB SH-4 to replace the "Duncan designed" pickup. Sounded like the best deal out there until I paid more attention. The fretboard inlays were different (never-before-seen diamond "X" things instead of a skull on the 12th fret) and there were 2 knobs (not 3).

To make matters worse, I researched the guitars to see what was up. Turns out there were other guitars with similar names, but different specs. Schecter's website, American Musical, and zZounds had the same guitar, same specs (only difference between zZounds and AM were active vs. passive pups as stated on Schecter's site). Then Musician's Friend and Music123 had a similar guitar, but it had a rosewood fretboard, pearl dot inlays, and the pups were a '59 and JB with a 5-way selector. This Chorder website even listed it as only having 22 frets.

I have never seen this before. My only thought was that there's a new model called the "Blackjack SLS C-1 EX Baritone" and the "C-1 EX Baritone" or whatever the hell it's called is an older model. I would love to buy the one on Schecter's website (without the stupid skull inlay), but I'm pretty sure the one on eBay isn't it... I'll contact the seller after I get some feedback here.

saberrocks 01-05-2013 09:11 PM

Schecter is indeed quite confusing sometimes. I also never know the difference between the Omen and Damien models.

On topic; as far as I can see, the only baritone guitar they are currently offering at Schecter is the Blackjack SLS C-1 EX Baritone, which has that 'stupid' skull. However there are some discontinued models that can be found in the Schecter Vault.

http://www.schecterguitars.com/vaul...=&View=1&Page=1

Good luck!

halfj06 01-05-2013 09:21 PM

Their customer service is top notch.. emailing them questions will get responded in a day or two

jhalterman 01-05-2013 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saberrocks
Schecter is indeed quite confusing sometimes. I also never know the difference between the Omen and Damien models.

On topic; as far as I can see, the only baritone guitar they are currently offering at Schecter is the Blackjack SLS C-1 EX Baritone, which has that 'stupid' skull. However there are some discontinued models that can be found in the Schecter Vault.

http://www.schecterguitars.com/vaul...=&View=1&Page=1

Good luck!

Sorry about that (the 'stupid' part). It was hard enough trying to buy a Dean guitar without Dimebag's name on it so I guess a little fretboard inlay isn't too bad, lol. Thanks a lot for the link to "The Vault," though! Didn't even notice that when I was on their site. Sadly, while there are "C-1" guitars, there is no mention of any baritones similar to the SLS C-1 EX. Unless someone can help me on the UG forum I guess I'll just have to keep bugging the people at Schecter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfj06
Their customer service is top notch.. emailing them questions will get responded in a day or two

Two separate e-mails to two separate e-mail addresses (both Schecter, though) and no response :confused: I won't knock them off just for that, but I got the "We'll get back to you soon!" e-mails, but no actual response e-mail :/

halfj06 01-05-2013 11:03 PM

Yeah If I remember right they don't work weekends.. granit it was a couple years ago but they helped me with questions and even sent me a free discontinued truss rod cover with a limited run engraving on it, when I was just hoping to buy the right shaped blank. Hope they take care of you, I do think I remember an absoutly awful looking baratone gat from them that wasn't a c-1 shape, had some kind of bones theme painted on the body

jhalterman 01-06-2013 12:54 AM

I just find it ironic because this is the first time I've ever dealt with Schecter to look into buying my first Schecter. Just my luck :rolleyes:

jhalterman 01-10-2013 04:54 PM

Yay, more issues and skepticism! This is my first attempt at buying a guitar off eBay, hence all the specificity and questions. This guy is also starting to piss me off. This just in:

Thank God for screenshots (sorry if it's a bit small)

As you can see, I've made a small chart comparing the various guitars with similar names to the one I'm looking at on eBay. I asked the seller questions about the guitar's specs, but he stated that "...the guitar has been boxed up for 2 weeks since the last guy who won the auction didn't pay me and I relisted it. So I can't actually look at the guitar except for the pictures." What the hell does he think I JUST DID!?! :shrug: His responses are in red.

He can also bet his a** that he'll be removing the guitar from said box to give me specifics or else I'll just walk on him. Might even hit "Bid" and then cancel it just to be mean :peace:

He states that his guitar has a 5-way pickup selector, but I noticed that the switch looks like a normal 3-way (notice the chrome ring under the actual switch) compared to the flat, 5-way pickup selector I've seen on Fender Strats. Even worse, in ALL of the links I provided in my original post, not ONE guitar has a similar looking 3-way pickup selector.

The pickup selector, the chrome hardware, the neck inlays. This Franken-Schecter is freaking me out. I mean, the guy said the original owner sold it to a guitar tech who posted it on eBay (and this dude bought it) so maybe the tech swapped stuff out? That would explain the different inlays, but how often do you swap out a set neck unless it breaks? Plus, I'm not even sure how often people do that or if it's even worth it.

If Schecter would get back to me already maybe this wouldn't be an issue. Haven't heard back from them and it's been a week. Also, this doesn't seem like the type of guitar someone would go through the trouble of replicating to make money. UG users, in all of your diverse experiences, hep me! D:

Cdcanestaro 02-22-2013 06:19 PM

Look at the pick ups. I think the Schecter C1 SLS EX Blackjack has the new Duncan Design pick ups. Where the Schecter C1 EX Blackjack has the older Seymour Duncan pick ups.

C1=6 strings (as opposed to the C7=7 strings)
EX=26.5 scale extended neck (as opposed to the standard 25.5 scale)
SLS= Duncan Design pick ups (as opposed to the traditional, and better, Seymour Duncan)

jpnyc 02-22-2013 10:05 PM

Schecterís lineup changes every year. The C1-EX is a baritone blackjack model made on and off over the years. It has a neck very similar to a 1970s Gibson. The SLS C1-EX is the 2012 baritone blackjack model, SLS guitars have a thin neck based on Japanese shred guitars. Pickup selectors and knobs vary from year to year, and some years the tone knob is a pull-up coil split. Inlays vary; some have dots, some have skulls, and some have playing cards (10 and Ace of Spades). There is also a new Kenny Hickey sig model with green paint, the 1970s Gibson neck, and a Sustainiac sustainer pickup installed. And there have been Hellraiser baritones, which have the 1970s Gibson neck and active pickups with that hideous red quilt paint job. Blackjacks are made with some incredible mahogany thatís wildly resonant; they sustain like Les Pauls but weigh a lot less, I donít know what they use in the Hellraisers.

Yes, this is confusing. Itís why you wonít see Schecter in most mom-and-pop shops. But the Blackjacks are incredible guitars made with top-notch parts that play like a dream.

W4RP1G 02-22-2013 11:53 PM

Every link in this thread says [forbidden link]. Anyone else getting that?

jpnyc 02-23-2013 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by W4RP1G
Every link in this thread says [forbidden link]. Anyone else getting that?

Yes.