UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   Electric Guitar (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Trying to choose betwen 2 guitars (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1581676)

amitm9s6 01-07-2013 04:14 PM

Trying to choose betwen 2 guitars

Im trying to choose betwen 2 guitars :

1) Epiphone Les Paul Standard
2) Fender Standard Strotocaster

I can only take one of these 2 guitars..
I usually play Rock (no metal, and if so, very few)...

Which guitar you think fits better.. ? I'm really in a hard desicion rigth now...

by the way, if it metters, it will be my first electric guitar...

Thanks for the help! :)

Carl6661 01-07-2013 04:18 PM

They're both pretty common instruments, I would say play them both and just figure out what feels and sounds best to you. That's assuming you live somewhere where guitars are easy to come by, obviously. :)

Mephaphil 01-07-2013 04:22 PM

The Strat.

More consistent quality. Plus, it's a Strat!

MaggaraMarine 01-07-2013 05:41 PM

The Les Paul has pretty weak pickups (it was my first guitar) and if I had to choose another of those, I would take the Strat because I would like to have a guitar with single coils.

Still, I think both will do it pretty well. The Les Paul is a decent guitar, I don't have any experiences with the Strat. You would maybe need to swap the pickups, it would do good to the sound of the Les Paul.

Also, the Strat is more "real". :D It has the Fender logo on it. The Les Paul is only an Epiphone, not a real Gibson. Well, it doesn't really matter, just saying.

T00DEEPBLUE 01-07-2013 06:15 PM

The two guitars could not be more different. How am i supposed to tell you what is right for you because you're comparing chalk to cheese.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggaraMarine
The Les Paul has pretty weak pickups (it was my first guitar) and if I had to choose another of those, I would take the Strat because I would like to have a guitar with single coils.

Still, I think both will do it pretty well. The Les Paul is a decent guitar, I don't have any experiences with the Strat. You would maybe need to swap the pickups, it would do good to the sound of the Les Paul.

Also, the Strat is more "real". :D It has the Fender logo on it. The Les Paul is only an Epiphone, not a real Gibson. Well, it doesn't really matter, just saying.

All of this post. :facepalm:

WholeLottaIzzy 01-07-2013 06:39 PM

They are both good guitars but both very different. We cannot tell you which is best. It's all opinion.

Carl6661 01-08-2013 10:30 AM

Quote:
Also, the Strat is more "real". :D It has the Fender logo on it. The Les Paul is only an Epiphone, not a real Gibson.

Wow, can you really tell the difference between two guitars that have different names on the headstock? :eek: Why hadn't I thought of that when trying to tell the difference between two companies or two guitars!? :rolleyes:

Sorry if that came across as harsh or cruel by the way, I'm just joking with you :p: On a more serious note, that means nothing anyway - I've played brilliant Squiers/Epiphones, and I've played awful Fenders/Gibsons. The branding doesn't stand for, or mean anything unless you're a brand-snob.

If anything, and I'll probably be unpopular for saying this, but I would say that a lot of the Squiers and Epiphones are a lot more consistent than a decent amount of the more expensive models from the ''real'' companies, as you call them. :shrug:

EDIT -
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuningGamer
If you usually play rock, you could look for an HSS strat, that's pretty versatile and makes for a good beginner guitar.

That's what I was thinking. HSS it by far one of the most versatile pickup combinatons, in my opinion.

amitm9s6 01-08-2013 10:52 AM

Thanks for your comments guys!
but I ment that you think the strat is good for Rock? I dont play a lot of metal if at all, mostly rock.. Will it fit me well.. ? Because I know the Epiphone fits metal pretty well...

TuningGamer 01-08-2013 10:53 AM

If you usually play rock, you could look for an HSS strat, that's pretty versatile and makes for a good beginner guitar.

Budget is important here, because there are the Yamaha Pacifica which seem to get some good remarks, but a MIM Fender Strat HSS seems good too, albeit a bit more expensive.

Axe Murderer 01-08-2013 11:59 AM

Do some research. Strats are excellent for rock (and all other types of music). There really is no one guitar for "X" type of music.

MaggaraMarine 01-08-2013 02:00 PM

:p:

It was a joke when I said the Fender is more real than Epiphone. That's why I used :D

Sorry. I should have been more clear that it was meant to be a joke.

Offworld92 01-08-2013 02:06 PM

I honestly don't even know what rock is.

TS, what bands are you going to be playing?

HSS Strat is a safe bet, that's my initial thought as well.

JKHC 01-08-2013 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offworld92
I honestly don't even know what rock is.

TS, what bands are you going to be playing?

This

If his "rock" is clapton/jeff beck etc, then a SSS would be a better choice.
If it's more of GnR/ACDC then the epiphone would suit.

ihartfood 01-08-2013 03:15 PM

rock is a very wide ranging genre.
so therefore

you need both.
or an HSS Fender Standard Fat Strat

unplugged89 01-08-2013 03:34 PM

Ok ok ok, I have an idea.

Imagine that you and your band are doing a gig, and you've decided with your bandmates that you are going to do a setlist comprised entirely of covers of bands whose sounds you would like to emulate. Could you list out the bands that would feature on this list?

That, or an HSS Strat. I have one and it's bloody lovely. Classic, pretty, mod-able, holds it's value and if you play it right it can sound a bit like a LP anyway. If you can find one with an S-1 switch then all the better.

amitm9s6 01-08-2013 04:12 PM

I'm playing bands like Nickelback, Green Day, 3 Doors Down, Oasis, RHCP , Paramore ,and after I'll get the electric guitar prob Bon Jovi,Skillet, Guns N' Roses and some other bands like this..

Also, I searched for Standard Stratocaster HSS, and found "Fender American Standard Stratocaster HSS", which is way above my budget.. even if Ill combine my guitar + amp budget together, I wont reach the budget to buy the guitar alone..
unless, there is a cheaper model of it and I dont know.. ?

MaggaraMarine 01-08-2013 04:17 PM

^^ Yes, there's a Mexican version that costs the same as the SSS version.

The bands you listed are pretty much humbucker bands though there are some that play with single coils so HSS Strat would be the right guitar for you.

dannyalcatraz 01-08-2013 04:24 PM

From that list of bands, I'd look for some kind of HSS guitar- Fender, Godin, Yamaha, Fernandes, Carvin, G&L, Ibanez and a host of makers make them.

What's your guitar budget, and what's your amp budget?

bigblockelectra 01-08-2013 04:30 PM

Although I do not own one, I would probably buy an HSS stratocaster if I had to do it over again. Not that you can't get good sounds out of the single coil bridge pickup, (I get very pleasing sounds from it when playing distorted), the trademark bridge pickup non-distorted sound is a little bright for my liking (but some really like it). The clean bridge pickup on my humbucker equipped Ibanez is one of my favorites....and overall it is a very bland sounding guitar, so I would imagine an HSS would be very nice.

I have only tried an Epiphone LP briefly and it was before I really started to play so I don't really remember. It looked really nice.

amitm9s6 01-08-2013 04:32 PM

Quote:
^^ Yes, there's a Mexican version that costs the same as the SSS version.

The bands you listed are pretty much humbucker bands though there are some that play with single coils so HSS Strat would be the right guitar for you.

Can you give me the full name of the Mexican version ?

for the one above : I live in Israel, so the budget is pretty problematic to compare to an american store or something like that.. The standard strato cost about 550$ here... Which is exactly my budget (maybe a bit more)...

I've found this guitar which is like 15$ more then the normal Strato strandard guitar :
'Fender FSR Standard HSS Stratocaster'

Which looks like this :
http://images.guitarcenter.com/prod...4.001_black.jpg

Is this the HSS you ment ?