UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   Guitar Techniques (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Extra string feedback? (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1581745)

BlackHawk21 01-07-2013 10:28 PM

Extra string feedback?

I've noticed something tedious when recording, when playing the thickest strings sometimes palm muting causes EVERY string to make noise, resulting in the high strings constantly being played.

Is there anyway to effectively mute the high strings when only the lows are being played? I've used tape to bind them, but that seemed too...rigged. Could it just be because the guitar is cheap?

supersac 01-07-2013 11:29 PM

use the fingers on your fretting hards to mute the strings

robertwilliam9 01-08-2013 02:59 PM

You could definitely have a quality problem with your guitar. Although I would try using the bottom two-thirds of you pinky finger to try and mute those higher strings. It's kind of hard to explain though.

What guitar is it that's giving you the trouble?

Zaphod_Beeblebr 01-08-2013 06:17 PM

Watch this:

InfiniStudent 01-11-2013 02:06 PM

You may need to vary the pressure of your palm muting hand (lighter toward the heel, heavier toward the fingers)

But I'm with supersac, if those left hand fingers are available, you should always be using them to mute unwanted strings. In many cases I mute with both the left and right hands just for good measure. Either laying the fingers flat across or muting an adjacent string to the one you are fretting (e.g. index finger) by coming down on the fretted string in such a way that your finger touches the string next to it (sounding one, muting the other)

P.S. be careful how you throw around the word "Feedback", it's kind of a reserved word in guitar nomenclature. LOL!

Happy Jammin! :D

Andy Pollow 01-11-2013 06:29 PM

Have you ever tried tying a sock around your neck? Your guitar neck I mean. Ive been playin that way and I think I like it. Even after 20+ years I still think its more fun if you dont have to mute noise. And I like the tone more if you dont touch the strings. Of course it would be hard to keep up with some bands without open strings. But you can do alot of nice moveable chords and upside down power chords - like only play the 7th fret of the A and D strings for an A power chord. Upside down - so then you can use a fretted note like you would usually bang on an open string for Slayer riffs....

This is my favorite guitar player right now -

InfiniStudent 01-13-2013 01:18 AM

Here are a couple of tricks you could use just for recording:
1) Cut up a mouse pad and stick it under the unwanted strings - e.g. when placed under 1-4 your guitar will be reduced to a 2 string instrument and you can play lines all over those without having to worry about proper string muting techniques. (If you're in a hurry to record)
2) Some people use their 3 non-pick holding fingers to mute the high strings. While they are playing the low two they will rest their non-pick holding fingers lightly in between the high strings - muting them. Kind of like "anchoring" but instead of touching the body, they touch these gaps.

I haven't tried it because I've never had muting problems while recording (and it seems like it might bog your picking hand down - but I guess it depends on the line your playing)

Stringz of Fury 01-15-2013 10:28 PM

check out gruv gear fret wraps Guthrie Govan and Keith Merrow use them.

Andy Pollow 01-16-2013 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stringz of Fury
check out gruv gear fret wraps Guthrie Govan and Keith Merrow use them.

Yeah I want to try those. I might need 2 cuz I like alot of fuzz.