UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   Singing & Vocals (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=83)
-   -   what range am i (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1581852)

silly6-string 01-08-2013 02:53 PM

what range am i

according to my iphone piano i can match c1 to c4 notes. WHat range is that?

chronowarp 01-08-2013 05:30 PM

highly doubt you can sing a C1.

AeolianWolf 01-08-2013 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chronowarp
highly doubt you can sing a C1.

this. C2 is only matchable by an extremely skilled bassist, so C1 is more or less out of the question. as in, nearly (if not totally) impossible.

you should have someone with a more developed ear determine your range. it's easy for a beginner to think they're singing a C1 when they're actually singing an octave above it.

i also find it unlikely that you can sing a C2, but that's not impossible.

chronowarp 01-08-2013 05:53 PM

Ya...I can barely even hit a C#2 and my voice is extremely bassy comparatively...I've only met a few bassists that could hit a C.

20Tigers 01-09-2013 02:08 AM

iphone piano. :rolleyes:

C4 is middle C so you SHOULD be able to hit this. Even a bass should be able to sing comfortably past C4.

C2 is a low C in vocal range and as mentioned in previous posts you would have to have a deep bass voice to hit this note. If you can hit C1 you're a freak. I don't even know if an iphone could pump out a C1. - maybe if it was hooked up to a better speaker or subwoofer.

C6 is a high C in vocal range and a sprano would be hitting this note.

So don't go by your iphone piano it is wrong or you are harmonizing with a tone other than the one being played.

Here's an illustration of the general range of basic singing registers as a guide only:

Now if you play guitar then true middle C (C4) is located on the first fret of the B string.
C1 doesn't even exist on the guitar and neither does C2 (at least not in standard tuning).
If you drop your low E string down two whole steps - that's C2. If that's within your usable range then you're definitely a bass.

C5 is located on the E string at the 8th fret. Baritones will have trouble singing this note. Tenors should be able to reach it easily. I can reach it and go up past there to about the E5 or so before my voice just doesn't make any noise. But those notes are not really a part of my useable range and it's probably not good for my voice to be trying to sing at such extreme ends of my range.

So while I could claim to have a range from C2 to E5 because I can match those pitches on a piano/guitar it's not part of my true range. E2 to A4 is about me (Baritone). Which is cool because I'm a man and have a deep rich manly voice. :cool:

silly6-string 01-09-2013 10:07 PM

i uploaded a song of me singing. Its far from great but this is my voice. I wanna work on it more. But just to give you guys a idea.

every rose has its thorn

Bustopher 01-24-2013 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silly6-string
i uploaded a song of me singing. Its far from great but this is my voice. I wanna work on it more. But just to give you guys a idea.

Yep, you do need work :-) I think the best tip I can give you is to listen more closely to just the melody. If you can grab a MIDI file of the song and put it in the key you're playing it in, just LISTEN to the notes. Then start to sing along ensuring you are actually hitting them.

Also, I reckon what you're playing there is a little bit too high for yourself. Okay, it's nice to play in the same key as the artist, but I learnt a long way back that it's far more important to get the song into a key you're comfortable with. the vocals were quite high when you started singing, I wasn't expecting it to be that high when you played the intro on the guitar. An octave down might be okay for you, even (although probably you only need to go down a fourth or fifth, I'd say).

BTW if someone tells you to sing scales, don't. You need to practice INTERVALS. Start off with a second (eg C and D) then try a third (C to E), 4th, 5th, 6th (tricky), etc, etc, etc. Don't stop at the octave - do ninths, tenths, etc (eg a tenth would be C to the E an octave above it - C4 to E5 as they'd say).

Have you got a piano or keyboard? I find it a lot easier to sing along with a keyboard instrument as you can just look and see how far you're moving around when all the notes are laid out in front of you in completely sequential order.

-Peter!