UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   Musician Talk (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   stevie ray vaughan (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1581868)

marveldude_31 01-08-2013 04:05 PM

stevie ray vaughan

does anyone have any advice on how to approach learning some stevie ray vaughan songs, i had bought one of his tab books but haven't had much luck learning his songs

MaggaraMarine 01-08-2013 04:34 PM

Listen to his songs. Try to learn them by ear.

food1010 01-09-2013 01:54 AM

I don't understand the issue. Do you not have the chops to play the tabs, or are you not getting the rhythms or something?

wiggedy 01-09-2013 05:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marveldude_31
does anyone have any advice on how to approach learning some stevie ray vaughan songs, i had bought one of his tab books but haven't had much luck learning his songs

This guy is very good, and has many free lessons in the style of SRV

thealmightyaxe1 01-10-2013 08:47 PM

Stevie is more about feeling the music than anything else...
If it's learning the songs that's the issue then just keep working at them and it'll eventually get easier!
If it's actually sounding like stevie, I find some good tips are to practice your right hand technique, and learn to keep it chopping away at the strings. Also play HARD.. that's how he achieves his tone! :)

Good luck! It's definitely worth it when you learn it!

rockingamer2 01-10-2013 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thealmightyaxe1
Stevie is more about feeling the music than anything else...

What the hell does that mean?

TJK3 01-11-2013 03:27 PM

WiGGEDY has the right idea. Go on youtube and search how to play tightrope or texas flood etc. Then you need to listen, watch, listen, watch, listen......... If you have a tab book then just Listen and look at the tabs. Learn 1 bar at a time. SRV uses a lot of standard blues licks, but hes great because of how he phrases them.

mdc 01-11-2013 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marveldude_31

If you're just looking at the tabs and not paying much attention to the notation above the tabs, then you will have a hard time.

Learn to read basic rhythm notation. Transcribing would be ideal but I doubt you'll do that.

ouchies 01-11-2013 05:43 PM

Its as much a right hand thing as a left hand thing. You gotta make sure you know how to groove and strum with your right hand

mdc 01-11-2013 06:38 PM

Execute a clockwise circular motion. You'll get a real vicious shuffle that way. Ppl think it doesn't make a difference...

... but it does, cuz of that subtle bit of extra delay, due the pick's increased distance across the strings on the upstroke.

NigeP 01-13-2013 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockingamer2
What the hell does that mean?

To quote "Blues aint nothin but a good man feelin' bad....."

Get the actual song down pat and then try to add some expression or feelings while playing.

wiggedy 01-15-2013 01:34 PM

Search Youtube for "Dennis Dullea" - He played and learned with the same people SRV learned from.

Also search "papastache" He has some awsome lessons on Youtube.

SRV used very heavy strings, on a good night he used 13's always tuned down half a step. He reportedly also had a killer handshake. You would need strong hands to play 13's but if you want to get the tone...