UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   Guitar Gear & Accessories (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Cables Matter! (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1581925)

ch1ng_chung 01-08-2013 08:23 PM

Cables Matter!

Don't trust anyone who says that "guitar cables don't matter" or that "all cables are the same, Monsters are just as good as the $5/20 feet off-brand ones". I used to believe this statement until just today.

I used to think that my amp had muffled tone. That it took in all the guitar frequencies and mushed them together in its preamp.

Then, I bought a new cable, a VOX 9m coil, to replace my old Livewire 10 ft.

The new cable has opened up my amp in so many ways, my tone alone, just strumming the open strings, became 2 times better, literally within 5 seconds of plugging the cable in. My clean channel suddenly became full, and my OD, which before I thought was useless trying to make sound nice, started to growl like a Marshall and a Bassman.

Now, I do use a MG100HDFX on its respective MG412 cab, but I also have played lots of expensive amps as well (mostly in GC), so I can testify that it sounded pretty damn good.

Unexpected thing was that the new cable was 3 times as long as the old one, but had much more effective transfer of tone.

Moral of this story: Cables matter!

cdr_salamander 01-08-2013 08:35 PM

inb4 lock:

If you've played a bunch of expensive tube amps and still think your MG sounds good, you need to get your ears checked.

JKHC 01-08-2013 08:41 PM

TS, I think you're in the wrong forum.

Try this one instead:
http://www.thegearpage.net

311ZOSOVHJH 01-08-2013 09:02 PM

cool story brah

ch1ng_chung 01-08-2013 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdr_salamander
inb4 lock:

If you've played a bunch of expensive tube amps and still think your MG sounds good, you need to get your ears checked.

well Jeff Healey plays a Squier Strat, sometimes it takes a blind man to recognize that tone is above brand and model

All inspirational statements aside, it doesn't exactly sound as good as a tube amp when you play it without adding "flavor" through methods of vibrato or this other thing that I can't quite explain but I do all the time when playing thru my amp. Then it sounds as good as a tube.

Robbgnarly 01-08-2013 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ch1ng_chung
well Jeff Healey plays a Squier Strat, sometimes it takes a blind man to recognize that tone is above brand and model

All inspirational statements aside, it doesn't exactly sound as good as a tube amp when you play it without adding "flavor" through methods of vibrato or this other thing that I can't quite explain but I do all the time when playing thru my amp. Then it sounds as good as a tube.

:haha:

You do realize that most artist that play cheap guitars like squier's are really playing custom shop guitars with "Squier"on the headstock. ;)

AxSilentxLine 01-08-2013 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbgnarly
:haha:

You do realize that most artist that play cheap guitars like squier's are really playing custom shop guitars with "Squier"on the headstock. ;)

Even so, I would take a Squier Strat into JCM800 over a Gibson Les Paul Custom into MG100 any day

gregs1020 01-08-2013 09:26 PM

Quote:
Moral of this story: Cables matter!

i use a $100 power cable to plug my amp into the wall.

tell me more about how important cables are.

:lurk:

|Long| 01-08-2013 10:41 PM

Cables do matter.

Low capacitance, shielding, ruggedness.

... But almost all cables in the 20$ (for 10 ft) range accomplish this. Going over and paying hundreds of dollars is only going to affect your placebo, not your guitars sound.

What's next? We need directional cables for teh most best t0nez?

The fact that your 9m coiled cable (30 ft) sounds better than your 10ft cable tells me one of few things:

1) You prefer less high end, so the frequency roll off is actually more suited for you. There is nothing wrong with that. Many players use coiled or long cables for the reason

2) Your 10ft cable was poorly constructed, but to have 3x the capacitance as the other cable? Doubt it.

Cathbard 01-08-2013 10:49 PM

And did you clean the plugs on the old cables properly before comparing them? Were the old cables still in as good a condition as when they were new or had they been stomped all over?
I smell unknown variables.

R45VT 01-08-2013 10:55 PM

Wow so if I replace the cables in my pinto it will turn into a corvette? Sweet!

jetwash69 01-09-2013 01:26 AM

As most people here know, I actually prefer my Squier Strat over my MIA. Of course, it is heavily modded with parts made for Deluxe MIA Strats and Seymour Duncan humbuckers, while the MIA is bone stock with SSS pups.

I also have a variety of instrument cables:
- 5, 10, 20, 30' lengths of Livewire Cable
- Coiled 20' Bullet Cable
- Several Coiled 20' Fender Cables
- Straight 20' Monster Cable (which I bought with my initial set-up of an MIA Strat & Marshall MG30DFX [:puke:])
- Straight 20' Planet Waves Cable

Guess what? When used connecting the same guitars and amps, they all sound...
You guessed it...they all sound the same.

Now obviously I prefer my tube half-stack over the MG. The MG sounds like it's submerged in a mud puddle no matter which of the 6 guitars I play thru it. Unless I disconnect the speaker and hook it up to the tube head; then it's good enough for small venues as an unpowered cab.

TS, you're not going to impress anyone here with an MG series amp regardless of the wattage or the configuration.

cjb2293 01-09-2013 01:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxSilentxLine
Even so, I would take a Squier Strat into JCM800 over a Gibson Les Paul Custom into MG100 any day

+1

mmolteratx 01-09-2013 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by |Long|
Cables do matter.

... But almost all cables in the 20$ (for 10 ft) range accomplish this. Going over and paying hundreds of dollars is only going to affect your placebo, not your guitars sound.

The fact that your 9m coiled cable (30 ft) sounds better than your 10ft cable tells me one of few things:

1) You prefer less high end, so the frequency roll off is actually more suited for you. There is nothing wrong with that. Many players use coiled or long cables for the reason

2) Your 10ft cable was poorly constructed, but to have 3x the capacitance as the other cable? Doubt it.

Along with all of the inductance added by a coily cable. My guess is it's rolling off all of his high end, making the bees quieter.

Arby911 01-09-2013 04:50 PM

Quote:

No he doesn't, he's dead.

And when he was alive he damn sure didn't use an MG...

Dave_Mc 01-09-2013 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by |Long|
Cables do matter.

+1

like with most guitar related stuff, there's quality kit and cheap tat. And (like with most other guitar-related kit) it's definitely worth paying for the quality kit and avoiding the cheap tat. But once you get into the quality bracket (which with cables, if you know what you're doing, isn't actually that expensive), those diminishing returns kick in pretty darn rapidly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
And did you clean the plugs on the old cables properly before comparing them? Were the old cables still in as good a condition as when they were new or had they been stomped all over?
I smell unknown variables.

+1

gregs1020 01-09-2013 05:25 PM

:headbang:

Ippon 01-09-2013 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregs1020

:headbang:

Greg :poke: UG!

TGP is the other tab old man. :)

gregs1020 01-10-2013 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ippon
Greg :poke: UG!

TGP is the other tab old man. :)

i won't lie i do have it bookmarked.

but it's the classifieds. :p:

NakedInTheRain 01-10-2013 12:46 AM

i have lava blue demons. not too dear, cool colour, lifetime warranty, and sound great.

but **** monster cables.