UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   Electric Guitar (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Crack in Neck (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1581954)

Heyyyy 01-09-2013 12:30 AM

Crack in Neck

hey guys just wondering how fix this crack in the neck, imageshack wont let me upload the image or anything and that whole image hosting thing on here i dont understand lol. but anyway its real small, goes down from the nut to about 1/3 of the down the first fret, on the side of the neck, close to the fretboard. I just bought this thing and i think the problem was when tuning it up i used 11 gauge strings, and accidentally tuned the low e to g >.< stupidest mistake ever i swear. but honestly what would the quicket way to fix this before it causes anymore harm???

Alucard817 01-09-2013 01:33 AM

try upping to tiny pic.

trashedlostfdup 01-09-2013 01:36 AM

go to photobucket.com its easy. there will be links for a picture, take the ones with the [img] tags and post link in thread.

i personally wont comment on something like this until i see a picture. and i don't think too many others will either.

put some pics up and i am sure you will get some answers.

what brand and model guitar?

anything else relevant?

when was it last set up (or is that what you were doing)?

Heyyyy 01-09-2013 02:33 PM

Here's the picture. It really doesn't look to bad to me. And Had it shipped from guitar center, it's kind of like one of those Les Paul Davison Copies, except the brand is Sky. Before you start bashing the guitar, I've been playing for 8 years, and it's pretty solid, and sounds very similar to an Epiphone. (I know, not the best out there, but still a decent brand).

Heyyyy 01-09-2013 07:01 PM

Bump?

Chaz-6(sic)6 01-09-2013 07:16 PM

To me it looks like it just might be the paint.
If it's the paint, no worries, just cosmetic.

dropb81 01-09-2013 09:49 PM

I agree it looks like its just in the finish... cant tell 100% without seeing it in person though.

sea` 01-10-2013 01:53 AM

They should accept the return, unless it's a used instrument. If you are not totally satisfied then I would send it back.

Alucard817 01-10-2013 04:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tayodavo
i personally wont comment on something like this until i see a picture. and i don't think too many others will either.[img]***************************/12.jpg[/img]

Try reading the thread. Post 4 TS posted a HUGE pic. Now, I know I'm going blind, but even I saw the pic.

TS:
Looks to be in the finish only, but hard to tell with just a pic, I would return it if I could. Get an exchange.

woad_yurt 01-10-2013 11:58 AM

Although it doesn't look like it's much of an issue, if I could exchange it, I would.

Heyyyy 01-10-2013 05:37 PM

Thanks guys, I tend to grow a sentimental attachment to guitars so I probably won't exchange it, nothinga wwhite sharpie can't fix :p.

mutex77 01-10-2013 06:45 PM

Its hard to tell exactly whats going on in the pic, if its wood or finish. Wood will follow the grain, but since its painted and not stained we cant really see where the grain is. If I had to guess i'd say its the finish.

If it is the wood, the usual way to fix any wood crack is to force the crack open a bit to get wood glue in, release pressure and clamp it together. If its a nice guitar and/or you havent done this before i'd take it to someone.

BTW I dont think 11's tuned up would crack a neck unless it was flawed to begin with, or was knocked over or abused. Many string makers call their Jazz 13's "medium". The low E isnt neccessarily the one with the most string pressure just because its the thickest, theres string pressure charts online for many string sets and many have G as the highest pressure string . So someone playing 13s and doing full bends on the G string is probably exterting around the same pressure as an .056 (E string with 11s) tuned up. Pulling up on a trem with 12s is way way more pressure as well.

trashedlostfdup 01-10-2013 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alucard817
Try reading the thread. Post 4 TS posted a HUGE pic. Now, I know I'm going blind, but even I saw the pic.

TS:
Looks to be in the finish only, but hard to tell with just a pic, I would return it if I could. Get an exchange.

i am pretty sure he is a bot. i was the second response, that of which tayodavo copied and re-posted of mine.

when i posted there were no pictures.

damn bots getting trickier.