UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pop Punk & Emo (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=50)
-   -   Pop Punk Essentials (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1582070)

ChucklesMginty 01-09-2013 06:41 PM

Pop Punk Essentials

I saw the recommendation thread, but honestly... This forum isn't too active and I want a quicker answer.

I'm new to pop punk but for some reason I'm just really digging it, my friends were all into it when I was younger and I never liked it. But now when I hear it I get this weird nostalgia from being 14 - 15. Anyway... I've really been digging...

blink-182 - Everything since Enema of the State pretty much.
Youmeatsix - Take Off Your Colours. (I met these guys because my friends dragged me to signings and stuff.)
Veara - What We Left Behind. Just discovered this one now.

Where to go from here? Odd getting really into Pop Punk and Bach at the same time. Eh.

rockfan7 01-09-2013 06:51 PM

The Ergs!

InstantAXonHero 01-09-2013 07:31 PM

etcc

GoodCharloteSux 01-09-2013 07:42 PM

ChucklesMginty 01-09-2013 07:51 PM

I've hardly heard of any of these bands, maybe that's good. :haha:

Cheers. :cheers:

InstantAXonHero 01-09-2013 07:59 PM

You can easily live quite happily without listening to 'The Story so Far'.

Gerard_xD 01-09-2013 08:04 PM

Yeah, don't listen to The Story So Far please.

y/t videos in here

rockfan7 01-09-2013 08:20 PM

Oh do we not like The Story So Far anymore?

If he likes Blink-182 chances are he'd dig them. They're just obnoxious enough to work.

+1 to Iron Chic, Gnarwolves, and Tigers Jaw.

due 07 01-09-2013 08:31 PM

You wanna listen to these albums in order.

The Buzzcocks - Singles Going Steady
Descendents - Milo Goes to College
Jawbreaker - 24 Hour Revenge Therapy
The Ergs! - dorkrockcorkrod
Joyce Manor - Joyce Manor

These are the best pop punk albums of each of the past five decades. Lots of people here are posting emo or just pop w/ guitars though--or worse, bro pop punk--so I dunno.

ChucklesMginty 01-09-2013 08:46 PM

A lot of it's not quite the kind of thing I was expecting, but I'm open minded. :p:

I honestly do prefer the stuff with heavier guitar sounds, faster tempos and more 'punk' drumming.

But it's all good. Glad I finally checked out Alkaline trio, I've been meaning to for ages. As a bass player it makes me happy.

I have to draw the line when it gets to bands like All time Low... My apologies.

daytripper75 01-09-2013 08:59 PM

Needs moar of The Wonder Years

Also:

rockfan7 01-09-2013 09:03 PM

I was gonna post The Wonder Years but I thought I would get torn apart by all the cool kids :p:
I posted Fall Out Boy though.
How about some actually kind of pop-punk Fall Out Boy?

Oh god I feel like I'm playing Burnout 3 every time I listen to this.

Gerard_xD 01-09-2013 09:04 PM

Give Put Up Or Shut Up by All Time Low a shot. It's pretty good, you might be surprised.

Also, if you're a bass player, you should like Tigers Jaw, esp. the S/T. There's a few cool basslines, particularly in the song Heat

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfan7
Oh do we not like The Story So Far anymore?

I can listen to Daughters and 680 South sometimes, but they're just so bad in general. The riffs are barely riffs, the lyrics are awful, the finger pointing is irritating for some reason, etc.
Parker Cannon does have a good voice, though.

I love TWY, though <3

daytripper75 01-09-2013 09:08 PM

Pft. Screw the cool kids. The Wonder Years are tight.

rockfan7 01-09-2013 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard_xD
I can listen to Daughters and 680 South sometimes, but they're just so bad in general. The riffs are barely riffs, the lyrics are awful, the finger pointing is irritating for some reason, etc.
Parker Cannon does have a good voice, though

I think his voice is irritating on the record, he sounds great live. Hoping the next record doesn't correct the shit out of it. They're just a fun band, which is what I think is exactly what they want to be so I don't really pick apart there music on a higher standard then that :shrug:

Daughters is a banger though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daytripper75
Pft. Screw the cool kids. The Wonder Years are tight.

They are. And they're the kings of ridiculous pop-punk bridges.

f u ck yeah.

Gerard_xD 01-09-2013 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfan7
I think his voice is irritating on the record, he sounds great live. Hoping the next record doesn't correct the shit out of it. They're just a fun band, which is what I think is exactly what they want to be so I don't really pick apart there music on a higher standard then that :shrug:

I guess, I just don't see the appeal though. They're not really very memorable to me, which is what I look for in fun pop-punk, haha. Each to their own though.

Speaking of TWY pop-punk bridges:

due 07 01-09-2013 09:21 PM

yall really need to start putting videos in spoiler tags

Gerard_xD 01-09-2013 09:27 PM

Yeah this page has frozen my computer so many times, haha. I'll edit them in now.

RetroGunslinger 01-09-2013 09:43 PM

Just listen to the Burnout 3 soundtrack, tis great

lookpizza 01-09-2013 11:32 PM

The right answer