UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   Musician Talk (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Melodic/guitar Solos/improvising (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1582119)

sandcrabb25 01-10-2013 03:43 AM

Melodic/guitar Solos/improvising

So if i want my guitar solo to sound like the main melody of a song.. would i use the same notes in my solo just maybe a different spot on the neck? with some more or less notes to spice things up?
what notes do i land on in a solo? do i always land on the root note of the I chord or do i harmonize with the current underlying chord?
Say i have a I IV V progression... do i play only the notes in the I chord while landing on the tonic note of IV or V when they come around or say when the IV chord comes, can i play the notes in the key of the IV chord over the IV chord then play the notes in the key of the V chord over the V chord?

or are all of these options possible and it is just a matter of what i like and f*ck the rest? I'm just looking for solo/improvising tips

thanks
and let me know if i'm saying sh*t that doesn't make sense

Tigas Jot 01-10-2013 04:01 AM

You're saying shit that doesn't make sense

kemingt 01-10-2013 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandcrabb25
So if i want my guitar solo to sound like the main melody of a song.. would i use the same notes in my solo just maybe a different spot on the neck? with some more or less notes to spice things up?
what notes do i land on in a solo? do i always land on the root note of the I chord or do i harmonize with the current underlying chord?
Say i have a I IV V progression... do i play only the notes in the I chord while landing on the tonic note of IV or V when they come around or say when the IV chord comes, can i play the notes in the key of the IV chord over the IV chord then play the notes in the key of the V chord over the V chord?

or are all of these options possible and it is just a matter of what i like and f*ck the rest? I'm just looking for solo/improvising tips

thanks

1. Play the same melody in a different octave (preferably higher)
2. MOAR NOTES ARE ALWAYS GOOD *provided you have good phrasing*
3. Land on chord/triad tones
4. If you know which scale the chords are arranged from and you solo in that scale, it SHOULD sound good provided you have the correct resolutions (landing on triad tones, root note, etc)

jayx124 01-10-2013 09:57 AM

ouchies 01-10-2013 03:35 PM

Quote:

thanks

You can play any notes of the I over the I, IV over IV and V over V. But you dont have to, really just do whatever you want. Experiment, as long as you resolve what you're doing it'll sound decent.

mdc 01-10-2013 04:18 PM

Listen to songs where the guitar solo is basically the melody.

Steve Lukather's work here

Gary Moore's work here

steven seagull 01-10-2013 05:02 PM

I'll add to that...

HotspurJr 01-10-2013 05:20 PM

Quote:

The best "tip" I can give you is to develop your ear to the point where you can answer these questions yourself by listening to music that moves you, and seeing what those song do.

If you do that, you'll probably be able to compose a solo that you like.

If you want to guitar solo to sound like the melody of the song, first play the melody of the song. Then embellish it.