UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   Electric Guitar (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Fender Road Worn Strat (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1582120)

AlexBUltimateGuitar 01-10-2013 04:06 AM

Fender Road Worn Strat

So, I've been selling a few guitars to save up for a USA Fender, but my budget might be getting cut by a few hundred $ because there's one I'm just too attached to to sell. :haha: What are the thoughts on the Fender Road Worn Strats? I don't like poly finishes at all (so the nitro's a bonus - Highway 1 is probably an option too).

Alucard817 01-10-2013 08:06 AM

Personally I don't like the road worn guitars. To me it's just too gimmicky. As far as quality goes, I have yet to hear a bad thing about them.

In my personal opinion I would go for the Highway 1 in a heart beat.

Blompcube 01-10-2013 09:24 AM

^visually you could argue that the beaten up look is gimmicky, but it does make a big difference to how the nitro finish feels, which is an important thing to consider, imo.

i think the road worn and highway one guitars are roughly the same level of quality, but the specs are a bit different - the highway one series has a bit more modern specs and the road worns are a bit more 'vintagey'.

Maximus_2005 01-10-2013 09:33 AM

Are you selling your mim strats for this? The road worn is really just a mim strat anyway. Might as well save up for a mia standard.

AlexBUltimateGuitar 01-10-2013 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus_2005
Are you selling your mim strats for this? The road worn is really just a mim strat anyway. Might as well save up for a mia standard.

As I said in my original post, I'm thinking of keeping one of them. Although I'm leaning towards MiA Tele for some reason...

Roc8995 01-10-2013 10:53 AM

I don't see how you could say a Roadworn is just a MIM. It's made in Mexico but the quality and feel are totally different. The parts are all different too.

I think the real answer here is to stop hoarding entry/mid level instruments. Sell both of your MIMs and buy a MIA. The roadworn is a great choice if you don't have the means to get a MIA but it sounds like you do. I'm sure you love your current MIMs but the whole point here is to step up and get something new that will inspire you. If your old equipment is holding you back artistically, don't let it also hold you back economically.

MrFlibble 01-10-2013 11:39 AM

Buying somethign lesser to "make do" with is never a goo idea. You will always still want the higher model you've been drooling over and you will always end up buying it eventually. It is cheap and quicker in the long run to simply wait, save more and buy the thing you actually want.

Also, the Road Worn are just the same as other MIMs in terms of build quality. What you're paying for is the nitro finish, relic job and the slightly more expensive pickups. Wood's the same, they're built by the same people in the same place using the same machines. That is not to say that they are bad guitars, but they do not represent good value for money and they certainly are not a stand-in for an MIA.

Axe Murderer 01-10-2013 05:51 PM

I own a Roadworn '59 Strat (it has the 50's body and pickguard, but the rosewood C shape neck from a 60's Roadworn)

I swapped out the trem block for a cold steel Callaham block.

The guitar flat out kicks ass.

People who only see them as gimmicks are idiots IMO. The guitars are built really well and the aging is more than just visual. The guitars in fact have a 'worn in' feel to them.

It has USA pots and 5 way switch. The only knock I would put on them are the Tex Mex pups, which arent bad, but put in some high quality pups, and you have a great guitar on your hands. The thin finish and the dry wood makes for a crazy resonant instrument.

I was floored when I tried one and bought it right away.

Mephaphil 01-10-2013 06:05 PM

Why don't they just put a ****ing nitro finish on all their guitars???

:(

Roc8995 01-10-2013 06:06 PM

I don't think it's quite fair to say that the roadworn aren't a good value just because they're made by the same people with the same wood. An American Special, a MIA Standard, and an American Deluxe are all very analogous in their differences - made in the same place with the same wood and by the same people. And the price differences there are about the same. And I think that each of them is worth the price increase over the others.

Saying that it's "only" a difference of a (much more expensive) finish, better hardware, and better electronics seems a bit silly. The build quality seems better to me on the Roadworns than on most MIMs to me, too. But anyway, to me a MIM plays and sounds like a $500 guitar, and the Roadworn plays and sounds like an $800 guitar, and claiming that one's a ripoff because the same person made both doesn't make a whit of difference to me.

I see that the Roadworn are up to 900 now which is too high. But when they were 699 and 750 they were, I think, a good value.

kangaxxter 01-10-2013 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mephaphil
Why don't they just put a ****ing nitro finish on all their guitars???

:(

Because it's a huge pain in the ass, more expensive and more dangerous (atomized nitrocellulose tends to explode, meaning it can't be sprayed on to a guitar) than inert polyurethane. Nitrocellulose is so reactive that movie film made from it wasn't allowed to transport in on public transportation, putting into a spray makes it much more dangerous.

Mephaphil 01-10-2013 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kangaxxter
Because it's a huge pain in the ass, more expensive and more dangerous (atomized nitrocellulose tends to explode, meaning it can't be sprayed on to a guitar) than inert polyurethane. Nitrocellulose is so reactive that movie film made from it wasn't allowed to transport in on public transportation, putting into a spray makes it much more dangerous.

Was kinda rhetorical, I know why, I just wish for it :).

I just want my guitar to relic naturally without me having to refinish it or pay for a nitro finish.

|Long| 01-10-2013 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mephaphil
Was kinda rhetorical, I know why, I just wish for it :).

I just want my guitar to relic naturally without me having to refinish it or pay for a nitro finish.

Most people don't though :)

IIRC it's also illegal to use nitro in some states.

Mephaphil 01-10-2013 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by |Long|
Most people don't though :)

IIRC it's also illegal to use nitro in some states.

So they can't sell the Roadworn there? I live in the UK.

What about nitro in aerosols? It's all quite stable now though ain't it.

Maximus_2005 01-10-2013 08:46 PM

I just think if someone owns two mim strats then buying a roadworn strat isnt much of an upgrade. The finish is different but thats just not a big deal to me. Imo.

I would consider a tele ts, like you said. It would be a good change from strat, something a little different.

Mephaphil 01-10-2013 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus_2005
I just think if someone owns two mim strats then buying a roadworn strat isnt much of an upgrade. The finish is different but thats just not a big deal to me.

You should reread this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc8995
I don't think it's quite fair to say that the roadworn aren't a good value just because they're made by the same people with the same wood. An American Special, a MIA Standard, and an American Deluxe are all very analogous in their differences - made in the same place with the same wood and by the same people. And the price differences there are about the same. And I think that each of them is worth the price increase over the others.

Saying that it's "only" a difference of a (much more expensive) finish, better hardware, and better electronics seems a bit silly. The build quality seems better to me on the Roadworns than on most MIMs to me, too. But anyway, to me a MIM plays and sounds like a $500 guitar, and the Roadworn plays and sounds like an $800 guitar, and claiming that one's a ripoff because the same person made both doesn't make a whit of difference to me.

I see that the Roadworn are up to 900 now which is too high. But when they were 699 and 750 they were, I think, a good value.

The finish, the hardware, build quality and electronics are enough of an upgrade for lots of people to spend money on a Deluxe Strat when they have a MIA so upgrading from a MiM to the Roadworn makes perfect sense to me, although I don't think the worn is enough and I think you should do it yourself, but whatever, an upgrade is an upgrade . I would advise saving up for a MIA but if you really can't I definitely wouldn't deter someone from buying one, especially if you're selling a lesser model to get it.

Roc8995 01-10-2013 10:45 PM

I try not to make any statements about the wear and whatnot, since it's really divisive and personal.

It does make the guitar more comfortable but a lot of people really don't like how it looks, or dislike the idea of having a pre-distressed guitar. So I figure, we'll talk about all the other merits of the guitar and you can decide for yourself if you like the finish.

Anyway, yes, I think either guitar is a good choice but it seems like a mistake to not go for the one that's clearly better because you want to hang on to your old guitar. If it's got sentimental value that's one thing, but it seems to be a common disease that makes people start collecting stacks of mediocre guitars instead of having 2 or 3 that are really special.

ccannon1 01-10-2013 10:48 PM

I think you should save for the MiA Tele, I literally just got mine today and haven't been able to put it down

Discomonkey33 01-10-2013 10:59 PM

Line up 100 "road worn" strats, and you will notice they have the same wear marks in the same exact spots. IMHO it makes more sense to get just a basic strat and beat the hell out of it yourself, instead of paying a machine to "relic" your strat.

It's a win-win situation...

1) you save money by skimping out on the "road worn" finish.

2) the marks YOU put on it are exclusive to you and hold a story behind each dink and dent. Ie: see that scratch dude? That was the whiskey talkin'

Roc8995 01-10-2013 11:28 PM

Except that you can't get a "basic" strat with the same specs as a roadworn at that price, and you can't put that kind of wear on a poly finish.