UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (
-   Electric Guitar (
-   -   Shopping... (

dannyalcatraz 01-10-2013 05:28 AM

I'm in an unusual position.

As of Monday, I'll be sending a check as downpayment on a limited edition guitar from a small company in another state and- oddly- it does not come with a case.

This will be the first time in a decade that I've bought a guitar without a case. The first was a Dean EVO, but the retailer had an Epiphine case that fit perfectly. In fact, he had picked it out before I had even arrived to pick up the guitar.

No chance of that happening this time.

So now I have to do something I've never done before- shop for a freakin' guitar case.

Those who have done so: do you bring the guitar along for the ride or do you just use measurements? Is buying one online practical?

Note: All of my guitars have hard cases- I don't trust gig bags- and most of my guitars are either in Gators or have cases that were designed for them, so fit is perfect.

dannyalcatraz 01-10-2013 06:10 AM

*Spammer BS*

Somehow, I don't think North Face Jackets will help me, discounted or not, real or fake...

Dave_Mc 01-10-2013 07:12 AM

^ i'd be worried that my new guitar might get cold while trying to climb a mountain :o

can't help about the case thing, i've never bought a separate case (well aside from a cheapo gig bag) either.

charlie__flynn 01-10-2013 08:04 AM

I've only ever bought a hard case for an acoustic and seeing as theyre all similiar shape/ size I could just buy a standard case without bringing the guitar with me and it was fine.

A quick look online came up with this:
although you may want to do some looking around as that is quite expensive.

Robbgnarly 01-10-2013 09:22 AM

What guitar is it?
Does that company offer a case you can buy seprate?
Is it an odd/extreme shape?
is it a Strat/tele,LP/SG or other type?
You can always take your guitar to the store and test fit to see if it will fit in any cases they have.

dannyalcatraz 01-10-2013 01:50 PM

It's a Malden Bad Karma, and unfortunately, they don't make cases at all.

Since its a variant on the classic LP shape, it SHOULD be relatively easy to find a case for it. But the devil is in the details, of course: I don't think it would fit in a case made to hold a real LP (or a close cousin like an Epi) snugly.

Arby911 01-10-2013 02:01 PM

It appears to me that the Michael Kelly Patriot cases might be an excellent fit?

Doesn't the manufacturer have any suggestions at all? Surely other customers have asked, or let them know what they have found?

I've got to be honest, I'm not sure I'd buy a guitar from a company that couldn't help me find a case...

dannyalcatraz 01-10-2013 02:24 PM

Come to think of it, I asked whether it came with a case, but I didn't ask them for any advise FINDING one when they said they let their customers choose their own. Such an obvious question, and I didn't ask it.

I'll ask the question when I send the check.

I bet the Gators would work, and I like them. The MKP case might work.

Quintex 01-10-2013 02:28 PM

Try Yorkville. A lot of retailers carry them:

dannyalcatraz 01-10-2013 08:25 PM

Shot the company an email about this, and they responded that the case issue is new: they used to have custom made cases, but the company that made them just went under.

He then informed me that the Bad Karma is 1/2" wider and @1" longer than a Gibson LP. This could be fun...