UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   Guitar Gear & Accessories (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   My overdrive channel cut out today. Cause? (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1582213)

CowpokeFromHell 01-10-2013 06:22 PM

My overdrive channel cut out today. Cause?

So there I was, playing guitar, when suddenly my overdrive channel goes to a very quiet clean. I checked the volume knob on my guitar, thinking maybe I had bumped it. Nope. Then I fiddled with the overdrive knob, and my amp was suddenly functioning normal again! :D

What gives? Is this a tube problem? Dirty electrical connection? Oh, the amp was a Jet City JCA1000H, and this is the only real problem I've ever encountered with it. :(

EDIT: I should mention it cut out twice.

EDIT 2: It seems like my drive doesn't exist just before 8. It's not cutting out. It just isn't completely functional. What could be causing this?

jaybals 01-10-2013 06:57 PM

Double check it's not the guitar cable, if you have another lying around.

Otherwise it could be the power tubes on their way out

Oldmonkeys 01-10-2013 07:12 PM

may well be an issue with the pot if it fixes itself when you move the knob.

ihartfood 01-10-2013 07:58 PM

in order of first to last:
check your cable
check your guitar's input jack
check the amp's input jack
Are you straight into the amp? If not, check your pedals and cables in between the guitar and amp
clean the pots with contact cleaner

CowpokeFromHell 01-10-2013 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihartfood
in order of first to last:
check your cable
check your guitar's input jack
check the amp's input jack
Are you straight into the amp? If not, check your pedals and cables in between the guitar and amp
clean the pots with contact cleaner

Cables are fine, Input jack is good on both ends, pedal is fine. The clean channel functioned normally when I switched over. It didn't have any volume loss. If it had been a cable or an input, I don't think the overdrive pot would affect those too much. Also, aren't power tubes supposed to last a while? This amp is hardly a year old and sees minimal use.

trashedlostfdup 01-11-2013 02:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CowpokeFromHell
Cables are fine, Input jack is good on both ends, pedal is fine. The clean channel functioned normally when I switched over. It didn't have any volume loss. If it had been a cable or an input, I don't think the overdrive pot would affect those too much. Also, aren't power tubes supposed to last a while? This amp is hardly a year old and sees minimal use.

check to make sure all of your tubes are seated properly.

do the "pencil test" you can find it on youtube under that or a similar name.

but typically power tubes last 1-2+ years under heavy usage. i have some amps for five years and the power tubes are fine, and play it frequent and gets transported in the car often. but however they have the possibility to fail just like anything.

anything with a filament can burn out just for no reason, for example (however very different) light bulbs.

CowpokeFromHell 01-13-2013 07:12 PM

The pencil test didn't return any bad results. Tubes are seated and functioning normally it seems. The drive channel did not cut out today. It wasn't working properly when I turned it on though. Once again, moving the knob solved the problem. I still feel like the pot is the issue, but I'd rather not rule everything else out right away.

EDIT: It seems like my drive doesn't exist just before 8. It's not cutting out. It just inst completely functional. What could be causing this?

Viban 01-13-2013 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CowpokeFromHell
The pencil test didn't return any bad results. Tubes are seated and functioning normally it seems. The drive channel did not cut out today. It wasn't working properly when I turned it on though. Once again, moving the knob solved the problem. I still feel like the pot is the issue, but I'd rather not rule everything else out right away.

EDIT: It seems like my drive doesn't exist just before 8. It's not cutting out. It just inst completely functional. What could be causing this?

I would think it's a dodgey pot myself, have you tried contact cleaner inside?

CowpokeFromHell 01-13-2013 08:34 PM

The problem seems to have stopped. For now, anyways. If it happens again in the future, I will try contact cleaner. If that doesn't work, I'll probably resurrect this thread.

Much appreciated for all your help, guys. :cheers: