UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   Guitar Gear & Accessories (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   GFS pick ups (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1582270)

supersac 01-11-2013 12:27 AM

GFS pick ups

Ive heard of these pick ups but ive never really heard them

how are they in quality and sound compared to the big brands ive tried dimarzio seymore bareknuckles etc.

i ask because ive been asked to replace or upgrade some bands electric guitars wiring and whatnot but they dont have the money to buy the more expensive ones

how are they compared to
-ibanez inf pick ups
-no pickups :haha:
-stock affinity squire p bass pups
-stock squire fender pick ups

im just askingabonut these specifically because thats the instruments im working on atm

jthm_guitarist 01-11-2013 04:45 AM

I have a few of them and they're not bad... no Seymour Duncan that's for sure.

nickdohle 01-11-2013 04:45 AM

They arent Seymours or BKs, but theyre a lot better than stock pups. They will suit the needs of a band on a budget

edit: ninja'd!

trashedlostfdup 01-11-2013 04:55 AM

probably would be better than any of the pickups you have listed above. but as stated, no SD/Dimarzio/BK's or laces.

Robbgnarly 01-11-2013 07:26 AM

There are a few pickups they make I would say are as good as the big guys. The Fat Pat HB I like better than the Dimarzio SD that it replaced. The VEH is also a good one I'd say is on par with the big companys also. and at 1/2 the cost thats pretty amazing.

greenwgreg 01-11-2013 07:42 AM

I currently have a set of the GFS Vintage 59 humbuckers in my Agile LP copy, I am extremely happy with them. The other guys in the band made positive comments about the sound of that guitar after I made the swap. I also had the Lil Killer blade HB in the bridge of my Strat. It was a quality piece, especially for $25. The reason I took it out and replaced it with a SD Little 59 was that I bought the Vintage 6k model by mistake and it was lacking balls. Also, I did not like the look of the blades and the SD blends in a lot better. The SD is a better pickup for sure, but GFS is a solid upgrade choice, IMHO.

supersac 01-11-2013 04:11 PM

alright thanks guys and if i like these pups i might use them on cheap guitars and whatnot til i can finish my pup windin rig

cdr_salamander 01-11-2013 04:36 PM

The sound is always subjective, the build quality is what should be questioned. I have found some GFS pups to sound better than even boutique hand-wound ones like BKP and Sheptones, but that's purely my judgement. The quality, however, is probably nowhere near as good.

red.guitar 01-11-2013 06:53 PM

I've also been doing a little research on GFS pickups, for my strat.

I've heard arguments for both sides.

In the end, I figured, what the hell, it'll cost me $55 for a set of lil' killers, they cant be that bad. I'm planning on putting them in my 85' MIJ superstrat.

I'll be able to give you some more help in 1-2 weeks when mine arrive :)

Offworld92 01-11-2013 07:09 PM

Some are good, some are meh. You can pretty much judge their quality by their price. The $40 ones are quite good, the $25 ones not so much.

supersac 01-11-2013 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by red.guitar
I've also been doing a little research on GFS pickups, for my strat.

I've heard arguments for both sides.

In the end, I figured, what the hell, it'll cost me $55 for a set of lil' killers, they cant be that bad. I'm planning on putting them in my 85' MIJ superstrat.

I'll be able to give you some more help in 1-2 weeks when mine arrive :)

sweet thanks for that
and let me know how the lil killers are i was wondering on their sound

Quote:
Some are good, some are meh. You can pretty much judge their quality by their price. The $40 ones are quite good, the $25 ones not so much.

so the 30 dollar ones shouold be adequate

Arab_Philosofer 01-11-2013 09:17 PM

I have the Liverpool buckers and they are great for rock and twangy when in parallel. I reccomed the brand based on these, though I can't speak for others.

classicrocker01 01-13-2013 08:25 PM

I put a fat pat in a partscaster I built a few years ago. Very nice sounding pup. It was thick and snarly, far exceeding my expectations.

I reccomend Irongear pups more though. I put a Hot Slag in my SG and it surpasses all big name pups IMO.

Cathbard 01-14-2013 11:07 AM

I have Fat Pats in my Iceman. They sound quite nice and are a big step up from the stock Ibby pups (Ibby pups are notoriously shitful). However, they are a bit too microphonic for the sort of volumes I play at. If you aren't pumping your amp loud enough to do the Gary Moore/Carlos Santana infinite sustain thing they are a fine pickup. If like me, you are diming a JTM45 I'd look elsewhere.

supersac 01-14-2013 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
I have Fat Pats in my Iceman. They sound quite nice and are a big step up from the stock Ibby pups (Ibby pups are notoriously shitful). However, they are a bit too microphonic for the sort of volumes I play at. If you aren't pumping your amp loud enough to do the Gary Moore/Carlos Santana infinite sustain thing they are a fine pickup. If like me, you are diming a JTM45 I'd look elsewhere.

thats important to know thanks :haha:

i ve heard the band they are all indie and whatnot clean and a slight crunch maybe
no infinite sustain santana stuff going on there

but ill keep that inmind for the future

Vicious_Turtle 01-15-2013 07:46 PM

i had a alnico ii pro in my neck, swapped it for a real sd one. sound exactly the same, only the SD are wayyyy less noisy

Quinlan 01-16-2013 12:20 AM

You could look at Irongear pickups too, if you haven't already made the swap. They're not much more expensive, and personally I'd trust a brand that makes ONLY pickups over one that makes (decent) knock offs of other stuff.

Robbgnarly 01-16-2013 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quinlan
You could look at Irongear pickups too, if you haven't already made the swap. They're not much more expensive, and personally I'd trust a brand that makes ONLY pickups over one that makes (decent) knock offs of other stuff.

:haha:
Irongear and GFS are made by the same company in the same factory in asia (Artec). So quality wise I'd say they are dead even :shrug:

Arby911 01-16-2013 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbgnarly
:haha:
Irongear and GFS are made by the same company in the same factory in asia (Artec). So quality wise I'd say they are dead even :shrug:

I understand your point, and that's good information that I didn't know, but wouldn't it depend on the quality requirements of the contracting company?

Arab_Philosofer 01-16-2013 01:46 PM

That's the thing right, those GFS pups are said to be made to the proprietar's specifications. Whereas the Artec ones may not be designed with the same care or competence. I'm intrigued myself with the lipstick pups offered by Artec/GFS.