UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   The Pit (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Languages!! (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1582276)

westjohner 01-11-2013 01:07 AM

Languages!!

Hey UG, i'm just wondering, if you guys were to start learning a language, how will you go about it? well i mean, besides going for classes,obviously. which books will you use?

thanks!

metal4eva_22 01-11-2013 01:09 AM

Kensai started a really good thread about it. I'll try to find it for you. There's a really good website for learning languages.

EDIT: Here it is

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...language+thread

Avedas 01-11-2013 01:10 AM

you only need to speak american these days

flame843 01-11-2013 01:17 AM

omelette du fromage omelette du fromage omelette du fromage omelette du fromage omelette du fromage omelette du fromage omelette du fromage omelette du fromage omelette du fromage omelette du fromage omelette du fromage omelette du fromage

vIsIbleNoIsE 01-11-2013 01:34 AM

the class is prooobably gonna make you get a book already

Phiddler 01-11-2013 01:36 AM

Its very important to listen and to speak. Academic study will only get you so far. I'm not saying don't study vocab, conjugations, spelling grammar etc, its still invaluable information. Keep a notebook and write things down a hundred times.

But sometimes simply watching TV will do you just as much good. It lets you hear how the language is ACTUALLY spoken. Repeat what the actors are saying and keep a dictionary handy to translate it as best you can. Try to find a friend, in person or online, who you can practice with. Hell, talk to yourself, sometimes one can get embarrassed when trying to form new sounds in front of native speakers

Learn about the country's culture, geography and history too. It will help you understand WHY the language is used, how it evolved and the mindset of its speakers.

The best advice I can give is immerse yourself

Joshua Garcia 01-11-2013 01:39 AM

Someone on here mentioned Duolingo. It's pretty great so far. Learning Spanish.
It's also free and what not.

westjohner 01-11-2013 02:06 AM

cool thanks metal4eva.

and phiddler yes i was actually thinking of studying the country as well. thing is, where do i get all these info from? wikipedia can't really be trusted yeah?? lol

anyway i'll be cut off from the world due to enlistment. so i'm just looking for a book to start the basics. yeah i wont have much time so can anyone reconmend a good book for learning russian language?

NothingRocks 01-11-2013 02:24 AM

I'm currently learning Japanese through several different mediums. I read untranslated manga and try to translate each chapter myself. I go poking through a handy-dandy cross lingual dictionary for words I wish to learn. I use online grammar guides for a lot of the technical rules. Basically, if there's some way to immerse my self in a particular part of the language I'm learning I use it.

Bair 01-11-2013 02:36 AM

I have Rosetta Stone and the french pack on my pc...havent tried it yet but i hear good things

westjohner 01-11-2013 03:25 AM

Uhh guys I'm looking for books. As in paperback books and all that. To start learning russian. I won't have access to a pc so yep. Can anyone reconmend me some good books from book stores that i can get? But actually, how does 1 start learning a language anyway? How do I get started? Through books? I mean you have to know words and pronnouciation before translating shows yes?

NothingRocks 01-11-2013 03:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westjohner
Uhh guys I'm looking for books. As in paperback books and all that. To start learning russian. I won't have access to a pc so yep. Can anyone reconmend me some good books from book stores that i can get? But actually, how does 1 start learning a language anyway? How do I get started? Through books? I mean you have to know words and pronnouciation before translating shows yes?

Search on Amazon for good books on the subject and see if your local bookstore or library has them. You can usually find some good stuff that way by reading the user reviews. Find some Russian phrase books to get a bit of a grasp on the grammatical structure and if you want, find a workbook. You can learn the pronunciation through various means. You can watch Russian TV shows or movies. You can find a beginner's book that goes over how to pronounce every character or certain words.

There are many ways to start learning languages. You could find friends or penpals that speak the language as their native tongue. You could find and take classes. You can teach yourself the language through books or other mediums as I've mentioned. It's all about what feels the most comfortable and enjoyable to you. I'm not very familiar with Russian my self, my experience with the language is very shallow. I only know a few basic works and phrases. So, I can't really tell you how to go about learning to translate and all that jazz.

Japanese is easier in that regard because of it's use of a syllabary(Kana). The syllables in Japanese are for the most part pronounced the same way every time. That makes transcribing speech a bit easier. When you start getting into which Kanji(Chinese characters) that's when things can get a bit tricky.

ali.guitarkid7 01-11-2013 03:50 AM

Why are you asking like you're asking for something illegal/embarrassing? :p: "If you were to walk into your living room and just happen to find a dead hooker, how would you go about taking care of that situation, other than calling the cops of course".

But seriously, check the Language Learning thread. Lots of good resources in the OP.

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1539731

Benny Blanco 01-11-2013 04:04 AM

Get a one way ticket to that country and don't come back until you talk like them.