UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   The Pit (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Break-up mourning period (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1582282)

The Madcap 01-11-2013 02:23 AM

Break-up mourning period

Do you think that it's wrong or messed up for a girl or guy to start seeing someone very soon after a break-up?

I personally have never even known people felt that way until recently. Although I've only seen people feel that way about a girl seeing another guy right after a break-up. Not so much the other way around.

eGraham 01-11-2013 02:26 AM

I think it can be harmful. But wrong, necessarily? I don't think so.

I've a friend who is intent on breaking up with his GF but is dragging it out because he's afraid to lose sex. He hasn't said that explicitly, but it's pretty obvious what he's doing. Now that, imo, is wrong.

Controlpanel 01-11-2013 02:29 AM

if the relationship was sincere, then there should be a mourning period.

Amuro Jay 01-11-2013 02:32 AM

idk i feel like it comes down to the person

i myself would be uncomfortable if someone who had just gotten out of a relationship took a sudden interest in me. i'd feel like they were just trying to fill a void.

maybe that's paranoid and judgmental of me, but hey, my paranoia could be just as poisonous to a relationship as ill intent.

blake1221 01-11-2013 02:33 AM

There's nothing "wrong" with it, but it can sometimes lead to some dysfunctional situations later on.

byob_soad2 01-11-2013 02:46 AM

I'd say it's fine if you actually have an interest in the other person, and aren't just jumping into it because you are lonely and/or upset.

Eastwinn 01-11-2013 02:47 AM

depends on stuff. no general statement can be made

supersac 01-11-2013 02:53 AM

no noone should date anyone ever

why do they get to be happy and not me:sad:

nah i dont care but if it was a long relationship id expect some time before they started dating

captaincrunk 01-11-2013 02:55 AM

the bitch ain't dead so why you be mourning?

eGraham 01-11-2013 03:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by captaincrunk
the bitch ain't dead so why you be mourning?

Another good point.

I guess this is my ultimate view on the matter: If the relationship deserved to be mourned over, then the person will mourn. If not, they will move on. That level varies person to person.

Dodeka 01-11-2013 03:01 AM

Not sure; it probably varies by person.

My present "mourning period" (we'll call it that) is at 6.6 years and counting. :( :D

deadkenedy 01-11-2013 03:12 AM

Who wants to be in a relationship after just getting out of one?

TSmitty6 01-11-2013 03:19 AM

My roommates watch this average show called How I Met Your Mother. According to that show, like the day after, and then get back with them, then lead the other person on, then have a one night stand, then get back with the original person again, then meet another. This should take place in about 2 weeks time.

3 months is a good cushion.

ali.guitarkid7 01-11-2013 03:42 AM

Of course not, it's not 'wrong' at all. It's got more to do with what you're comfortable with than morals.

metal4eva_22 01-11-2013 03:46 AM

I see nothing wrong with it, but I have been told that I'm detached and cold, so maybe I'm not the best source for this type of info.

Aralingh 01-11-2013 04:31 AM

It is usually looked down upon because most people who engage in a new relationship fairly soon after a previous ones are those who are too afraid on their own and therefore go into a relationship for wrong reasons, filling a void so to say.

It's not wrong if you are genuinely interested in the person.

However, it varies. People, MOST of the time, have some emotional baggage and left over from a previous relationship, which is why they usually wait before going into a new one, it's human psychology, and unless you're the exception, I would advise to wait because you're starting a relationship on bad foundation.

So-Cal 01-11-2013 04:32 AM

That's disgusting, I don't want to have to deal with that shit at any time let alone in the morning.

piratemetalhead 01-11-2013 04:43 AM

It all depends on cultural and social circumstances... some circles of people will call you a monster for that, some won't care.

There's are peculiar situations, for example, people who look for new partners quickly out of fear of loneliness (like jetfuel said, to fill a void). Then there's kinds of malicious "revenge" kind of things, like a girl banging her ex's friend just to spite him. Human relationships are weird.

I guess there is also a difference if the past relationship was serious or simply a "for fun" thing.

Jack Off Jill 01-11-2013 04:58 AM

A little. Because my girlfriend and I have brOken up dozens of times. Never for more than a month. So it depends on why they broke up, I suppose.

Thrashtastic15 01-11-2013 05:05 AM

Have to question the psyche of a person who would nearly immediately jump into a new relationship after ending a significant & long relationship, regardless of gender.