UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   Acoustic & Classical Guitar (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Recommend me an acoustic (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1582332)

smut001 01-11-2013 02:15 PM

Recommend me an acoustic

Ok, been playing guitar for 40 years now and I have a few quid I can spend on a new acoustic.
Years back I played a beautiful Ovation - back in the days before they were mass produced in the US - so that would be my ideal, but times have changed and all that jazz. I want an acoustic that plays like my flying v - ha!
Suggest me something around the 700 quid mark - and if you're anywhere near London, suggest me a place that sells nice second hand guitars - at sensible prices, not like those thieves in Denmark Street.
Cheers all!

stepchildusmc 01-11-2013 02:58 PM

whats wrong with another beautiful Ovation ? i have a few of them. still wonderful guitars. my favorite is my Adamas 2080sr. i own other high end guitars but this is the one i grab the most. crystal clear sound, deep rich tone. comfortable contoured back. easy playing walnut neck and it's looks alone make most other guitars hide in their cases.

smut001 01-11-2013 03:02 PM

Awwww, I'd love an Adamas.... slightly out of my price range I'm afraid. I have a couple of daughters who (rightly) soak up most of my cash, but I've been putting a few quid away for a while and can run to about 7 to 800 quid. Won't get an Adamas for that unfortunately.

stepchildusmc 01-11-2013 03:09 PM

sad .... but if your patient its not impossible. that's $1100US. there's a lot of choices for that. Yamaha's A series line is fantastic. i bought an AC3M not too long ago. most prefer the AC3R rosewood but i like the darker sound of the mohagony. Yamahas are cheap here in the states, not sure what brands are more cost effective on your side of the pond.

stepchildusmc 01-11-2013 03:13 PM

or even a deep bowl Balladeer or an Elite series Ovation. i have 3 Elites, excellent plugged in and not too bad unplugged. most here in the states go for around 400 US used. you'd have more money to spend(rightly) on the girls!

patticake 01-11-2013 06:37 PM

any preferences - size, nut width, bassy sound or bright? for that matter, new or used?

unplugged89 01-11-2013 06:51 PM

Blueridge

Angus_Junior35 01-11-2013 07:57 PM

I apologize if I'm being a bit of a fanboy (Just got acoustic Monday), but Seagulls are amazing and well within your price range. I bought mine brand new for $550. This plays better than the Alvarezes that cost several hundred over that I was trying out. Mine is a Seagull Entourage Rustic CW GT QI, I'll see if I can upload some sound clips tonight when it quiets down in my house.

Funk Monk 01-11-2013 09:31 PM

I picked up a left handed fender CB100 on sale at GC here in America. I think It's good for the price. You have to try before you buy for sure though, every guitar is different and with cheaper guitars bad frets can be common.

Captaincranky 01-12-2013 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smut001
Years back I played a beautiful Ovation - back in the days before they were mass produced in the US -
Are you sure you don't mean "China"? ;)

Here's the "O" wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ovation_Guitar_Company

smut001 01-12-2013 02:55 AM

Thanks to all for your time and trouble!
Some great suggestions here. I've been looking at both the Balladeer and the Elite - they are both within my price range and the bloke in the shop recommended the Elite - which would be your preference? Looked at both the Yamaha and the Blueridge yesterday, both nice to be honest. Haven't tried the Seagull, will look out for it today. I did pick up a lovely all-mahogany Tanglewood a day or so ago, that was rather nice!

I'm not worried about choosing a tone in advance really... I will sort of know when I hear it :o)

Oh by the way - apologies for my rather poorly written comment initially - I meant back in the days when they were made in the US - not mass produced as they are now.
Thanks again!

Captaincranky 01-12-2013 03:04 AM

I think the "Elite" models are the imports, and the "Balladeers" are MIA.

"Made in China, (or Korea)", doesn't have the same stigma that it once did. "Imports" are the preponderance of instruments in today's markets. They're really all that is in your, (and most of the rest of our), budgets. The lone (?), exception is the Canadian company, Godin. Some of their product is affordable, although I don't know how much access you have to their line.

"Crafter (MIK)" guitars should be in abundance in the UK, and usually get decent reviews also.

smut001 01-12-2013 05:44 AM

Saw a lovely Crafter yesterday too ... nice action and not a bad price. I missed one on ebay going for a song (sorry!)
I'll look out for the Godin. I'm heading to a couple of good shops here in London in an hour or so... but chances are, I'm going to head back and get the Balladeer!
Thanks for your help!

dannyalcatraz 01-12-2013 05:48 AM

Lots of good suggestions up top- can't disagree with any of the guitars suggested above. Love my Ovation Elite, and Seagulls are on my GAS list.

Some other thoughts:

Ovation just released the nifty DS778TX-5 baritone that can be had for $650-850.
http://www.ovationguitars.com/guita...d_scale_ds778tx

The Breedlove Atlas series starts at around $750 and goes up from there.

If you can find them, used Tacomas are available from $450-2500. I got one last year for about $800, and it is incredible.

stepchildusmc 01-12-2013 08:48 AM

please do let us know how it goes... and don't foret to post some pics of your new baby up here for the rest of us. we always enjoy sharing a NGD!!

smut001 01-19-2013 04:21 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Went for the Balladeer folks ... arrived midweek and has seen a lot of action already! Beautiful tone, crisp and clear - great action too.
Hopefully a pic will appear right here!

stepchildusmc 01-19-2013 03:26 PM

beautiful ! i love the red, and it matches the walls ! only red one i have is a flametop Elite. i generally use D'addario EXP16's on all my O's. really brings out the tone. what model is that one? deep or mid-depth bowl?

Captaincranky 01-19-2013 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepchildusmc
beautiful ! i love the red, and it matches the walls !
Well, you ruined that for me. I was fantasizing that he quick rushed home and painted the room to match the guitar.

OTOH, if the room was already that color, the poor guitar didn't stand a chance of not being bought.

In any case, Mr. Smut sir, HNGD....! :D

And it's a "you can plug me in when the mood strikes", EA model! Bravo, well done!

stepchildusmc 01-19-2013 08:17 PM

hmm... never thought of that cranky. coulda ran home and painted to match... but if he hangs it on the wall, it'll be a bitch to find !!!!

smut001 01-20-2013 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepchildusmc
beautiful ! i love the red, and it matches the walls ! only red one i have is a flametop Elite. i generally use D'addario EXP16's on all my O's. really brings out the tone. what model is that one? deep or mid-depth bowl?

Yes I think I need to repaint the dining room walls! I went for the deep bowl, was told it has slightly better bass notes :o)
Those are the strings which came on it, I've not used them before but will be again! Really has a fantastic tone this thing, really happy with it. Taking a break at the moment as my fingers need a break!