UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   The Pit (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Aldi (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1582399)

The Madcap 01-11-2013 10:18 PM

Aldi

There's this store opening up in my hometown called "Aldi." Upon looking at Wikipedia, apparently they're based in Germany, and most of the locations are in Europe.

I really have never seen or heard of one until now. It looks like a grocery store which is fine and dandy. But what confused me was before the structure was built, and it was just an open field, some people in my town actually protested out there, holding up signs saying to "Stop Aldi" and has a web address to petition and shit to prevent it from being built there.

Anyways, since so many of you guys are from Europe, I figured I'd ask you guys if you know anything about the stores or if you've been to one. And if so, what's so special about them? Or what would cause people to protest them? I looked online and didn't really see anything "protestable."

Or maybe you're from the US and are around one of their US locations. I don't know how many are in the US, but I've never heard or seen one.

suckersdream 01-11-2013 10:20 PM

It's just a supermarket with generally cheaper brands :shrug:

devourke 01-11-2013 10:20 PM

Is Aldi the one where the checkout operators are fast as hell?

Horsedick.MPEG 01-11-2013 10:21 PM

I've seen a few around where I live, I've never actually been inside one, so I don't exactly have an opinion on the store. :shrug:

TunerAddict 01-11-2013 10:22 PM

I cannot imagine how far back in time the south is if this is the first Aldi store you've seen. It must really be the 1950s down there.

davrockist 01-11-2013 10:23 PM

They're actually pretty good if you don't mind trying non-label brands. You can get some pretty decent stuff for cheap, from food to the random shit you always want to have but probably won't use.

I wouldn't say there's anything exceedingly special about it, but it's a decent store. Its main competitor is Lidl, if you've heard of them. They're both pretty much the same, although personally I think Aldi is slightly better for deals on things that could be useful.

So-Cal 01-11-2013 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by devourke
Is Aldi the one where the checkout operators are fast as hell?

Yeah, I think the checkout staff have competitions to see who can get the fastest times, which is good for efficiency of course.

Horsedick.MPEG 01-11-2013 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TunerAddict
I cannot imagine how far back in time the south is if this is the first Aldi store you've seen. It must really be the 1950s down there.

You live in Maryland which is a southern state

jambi_mantra 01-11-2013 10:29 PM

It's a standard supermarket, it's just dirt cheap. They're good for buying stuff like toiletries etc

TunerAddict 01-11-2013 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horsedick.MPEG
You live in Maryland which is a southern state

I'm a NYer.

Gibson_SG_uzr55 01-11-2013 10:31 PM

I wish there was an Aldi closer to me, their food is so cheap.

Horsedick.MPEG 01-11-2013 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TunerAddict
I'm a NYer.

Even worse

sashki 01-11-2013 10:35 PM

Aldi and Lidl are really common in Europe. They sell mostly generic products so it ends up being pretty affordable. My dad loves them.

Are the folks protesting specifically against the Aldi chain, or generally against building a store on that piece of land?

RetroGunslinger 01-11-2013 10:35 PM

Probably just complaining about another big corporation taking away business from the locals. If it's anything like lidl you are in for a treat, amusingly named German brand rip offs for half the price, every item ever produced by JML, and a ever changing selection of items you don't usually find at the supermarket, such as 30 electric guitars, ski's, bags of cement or flavoured dildos.

Hydra150 01-11-2013 10:37 PM

They're like Lidl except there isn't an Aldi two minutes from my house.

I was there earlier and it was 1.89 for four pink lady apples. I could probably get a metric tonne of chocolate from that place for 1.89. So shopping there isn't advised if yer on a diet.

I've applied for a job there in the past, I understand they don't treat their workers well and overwork them though (this is lidl I'm talking about, I kinda think of them as the same thing).

Weaponized 01-11-2013 10:37 PM

Tired of these nazi supermarkets taking jobs away from AMERICANS.

jthm_guitarist 01-11-2013 10:39 PM

Never heard of it.

Edit: seems to be an Eastern thing.

Sonny_sam 01-11-2013 10:39 PM

They used to sell chocolate made with 80% cocoa, which you'd think would make it really rich, but it was actually the nicest chocolate I've ever tasted, and it was cheap!
From what I understand their staff get paid a fair bit more than the average supermarket staff and the company offer decent incentives for speed through checkouts and stuff like that.
I don't have any idea why people would be protesting over it though, unless it's just the general reduction of green space?

jambi_mantra 01-11-2013 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weaponized
Tired of these nazi supermarkets taking jobs away from AMERICANS.

:haha you make it sound as if they import a load of German teenagers to work the tills as well

sashki 01-11-2013 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambi_mantra
:haha you make it sound as if they import a load of German teenagers to work the tills as well

Every Aldi I've ever been to is full of everyone but Germans. Seriously, everyone there is foreign. It makes me feel better about being a filthy immigrant myself.