UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   Recordings (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   Confused about Audio Interface/Sound Card (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1582458)

Lobassopalypse 01-12-2013 11:54 AM

Confused about Audio Interface/Sound Card

Okay so recently I got my hands on an Alesis Multimix 4 USB Mixer which I'm using to provide phantom power for a Behringer C-3 condenser microphone. (It's cheap, I know but spare me) now, I've seen people use these two in combination and the sound quality is pretty damn okay, there's barely any hiss and it's just suitable for how I want to start off recording.

I should point out here that I have a fairly standard and fairly new PC which still has a stock Realtek HD sound card.

My question is: what the hell is causing the hiss? And will buying a new internal sound card remedy this?

I've been reading online and some people keep saying that it's all about the audio interface and that the built in sound card doesn't come into it. But if that's the case then what's going on with my recordings? I'm definitely recording through the mixer and the condenser microphone so I'm really confused and any help would be GREATLY appreciated. :]

ToXyN 01-12-2013 01:35 PM

Two main culprits of Hiss with a mixer other than defective hardware issues are, Power supply and wrong volume levels.

So, do you have the proper 10v 500ma power supply? Try it in a different wall outlet if so.

IF your mic volume is to low, and you compensate by having the main volume high, this can bring unwanted noise.

And just to be sure, you are using an XLR cable correct? A Trs 1/4" to the line in will not supply the phantom power, you must use XLR.

::edit:: Sorry i ignored your question, Your internal soundcard should have nothing to do with your problem.

ProphetToJables 01-12-2013 01:43 PM

The Alesis is cheap... that's probably why.

Lobassopalypse 01-12-2013 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToXyN
Two main culprits of Hiss with a mixer other than defective hardware issues are, Power supply and wrong volume levels.

So, do you have the proper 10v 500ma power supply? Try it in a different wall outlet if so.

IF your mic volume is to low, and you compensate by having the main volume high, this can bring unwanted noise.

And just to be sure, you are using an XLR cable correct? A Trs 1/4" to the line in will not supply the phantom power, you must use XLR.

::edit:: Sorry i ignored your question, Your internal soundcard should have nothing to do with your problem.

Ah, I have it so that the power supply plugged into an extension lead along with about 5 other things... I will definitely try it in a couple wall outlets to see what happens. I'm using an XLR cable and I don't think I'm compensating in that way. Thanks!

Edit :: I tried plugging it into a wall outlet instead and there was literally no difference, I'm still getting the same problem :/ I can only assume that it's the mixer's low quality :L