UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   Guitar Gear & Accessories (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   string gauge. (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1582496)

Surfguitarist 01-12-2013 04:30 PM

string gauge.

hi.
i am wondering about string gauges for electric guitars. recently on ebay i got a set of gibson vintage reissue 9-42's for an incredible deal. im wondering before i string my guitar if those will play well (i play a lot of clean as well as some distortion) i am hoping being pure nickel wound they will give me the tone of a better guitar (im using a chep[er] squier strat)

gumbilicious 01-12-2013 04:34 PM

strings... :shrug:

try em out. most people prefer whatever gauge they get used to, 9-42's would fall in the 'lighter' range. i do know some guitarists that supposedly played with 8's and others that played with 11's. :shrug: it's all preference

if you are running some slack tunings then heavier strings will help keep tension.

SrThompson 01-12-2013 05:41 PM

It's all preference.

But if you wanna start playing lower tunings (D stantard for example) you're going to need a bigger gauge (0.10 at least, altough 0.11 would be great)

Also if you use 0.9 and 0.11, 0.9 it's going to sound more "brighter" than 0.11. This one it will sound a little more "dark".

GaryBillington 01-12-2013 06:01 PM

So you already bought them, now you're asking about them?

If we said they're going to be crap, would you just throw them away?

Surfguitarist 01-12-2013 08:03 PM

thanks guys for the advice! and gary billington, if you told me they are crap i would NOT throw them away. i would simply put them on a different guitar other than my strat (which i use 90% of the time)

GaryBillington 01-13-2013 03:47 AM

But then you'd never know how they feel on your strat & you'd never know what you really think of them....

Like the other guys said, it's all preference, you can't know your preference until you've tried something.

|Long| 01-13-2013 01:06 PM

Pure nickel strings usually have a round core. They are designed to give a warmer tone and were used back when. So that's why they are 'vintage reissue' strings for the Gibby's.

They also have less tension, making them much much easier to bend. And they last longer.

So, with all that said, these 9-42 will probably feel very loose, but the extra scale length of the strat should tighten it up a tad. Only your playing will make your cheaper guitar sound good, sadly.

Cathbard 01-13-2013 01:13 PM

I use 9-42 on my Yamaha SG which has a shorter scale length than yours and I love 'em. My other guitars have the same scale as your strat and I use 9-42's on all of those too. It's all I ever use and I play in standard, drop D and open G. You'll be fine.

Maineguitarist 01-13-2013 01:54 PM

Do you like bending your strings? .9-.42's are for you.

Surfguitarist 01-16-2013 09:36 PM

thanks guys for the advice, and they are much better with bends :)

NakedInTheRain 01-16-2013 10:18 PM

personally? i couldn't play anything under 10s, they just felt too flimsy. recently i tried 11s on my tele and they feel so much better.

Ghostmaker 01-16-2013 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryBillington
So you already bought them, now you're asking about them?

Get used to seeing this 'round these parts.