UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   Guitar Gear & Accessories (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   All-Round rig suggestions (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1582554)

emerald876 01-13-2013 01:23 AM

All-Round rig suggestions

What do you think would be a good all rounder rig for metal, rock, post-rock, ambient, etc.? I also want the amp to be able to djent, and the clean channel has to be very clean.

What I was planning on doing was getting a Mesa Dual/Triple Rec (triple might be way too loud for me) and maybe a TC G-Major or some other rackmount effects processor.

Would it be a better idea to get individual pedals instead of a multi effects processor? Would a different amp suit me better?

In case anyone wants to know, I'd be running a Fender Tele/Strat for the post-rock/ambient stuff, and an ESP Viper with EMG 81/85 for the metal stuff, but possibly some of the ambient stuff.

Any suggestions are welcome, but I don't want it to be too expensive.

pinheadslts75 01-13-2013 02:40 AM

"Don't want it to be too expensive".

Yet you're looking at Mesa and high-end TC. What the hell is too expensive?

emerald876 01-13-2013 02:54 AM

By too expensive I mean obscure amps that cost upwards of $3k. I'd be buying almost everything used anyways.

Artemis Entreri 01-13-2013 03:25 AM

Mark V. Or maybe a IV if you lean toward the high gain more than the low.

mmjohn 01-13-2013 11:26 PM

The EVH 5150iii 50w is a Bad MoFo!!

Offworld92 01-13-2013 11:42 PM

Road King II.

AxSilentxLine 01-13-2013 11:45 PM

Egnater Armageddon, 5150III, Mark V, Carvin V3

dkunick 01-14-2013 12:58 AM

5153...add Line 6 M13 with Mission Engineering pedal and you're done.

Eppicurt 01-14-2013 01:06 AM

+1 to everything suggested.

TS, you're literally spoiled for choice. Get out and try some stuff out.

Cathbard 01-14-2013 01:09 AM

So this is out of the running?

http://www.cecamps.com/main/amplifiers/brigand/

If you can afford that ^, buy it.

Natrone 01-14-2013 04:09 AM

With that many different sounds, you actually might want to consider a rack pre/power amp setup. I know nothing about those in any way, shape, or form (barebones guitar ->pedulz -> AC30 guy), but I do know that with the proper setup you can have a rig that gives virtually endless tonal possibilities that can be entirely MIDI controlled. Which is freaking awesome.

emerald876 01-14-2013 10:30 PM

I was also thinking along the lines of an AXE-FX 2, but I don't think $3k in total with the MFC is plausible for me. I'm kind of weary of the 5150 III because the 5150s were known to have shit cleans, has it changed on this new one? Mark V's are out because I can't find any used, I'm hoping to try and get everything I buy used.

Offworld92 01-14-2013 11:26 PM

The 5150 III is a completely different amp. To the point that I actually wished EVH just gave it a new name. All of the channels are excellent. Perhaps not voiced right for everyone, but there's nothing "bad" about it.

I thought about recommending the Axe FX II, but didn't for the same reason, it + a poweramp + a controller would almost certainly go over $3K. But if you don't mind stretching, it might be a better option than a traditional amp. It's certainly a king of true versatility.

mmjohn 01-15-2013 02:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emerald876
I was also thinking along the lines of an AXE-FX 2, but I don't think $3k in total with the MFC is plausible for me. I'm kind of weary of the 5150 III because the 5150s were known to have shit cleans, has it changed on this new one? Mark V's are out because I can't find any used, I'm hoping to try and get everything I buy used.

The 5150 is a Fender amp now.....Very Good clean channel!

sg4ever 01-15-2013 11:24 AM

Quote:

The 5150 III has some pretty nice cleans. It's not made by Peavey, but by Fender. If you doubt that it has good high gain sounds, both guys in Unearth use it for the newer stuff. With all of that said, I recommend the Mesa Boogie Tremoverb if you want to go Mesa for not so much. It has a nice clean channel and that nice growly sound that you expect out of a Dual Rec, but it's a bit more articulate. If you can afford it the Roadking or Roadster suggestions would be nice. You might like the Orange Rockerverb 50/100 mkII, because you can audition different tubes to stiffen or soften the tone up. It's a different flavor of gain though. Good cleans, but it needs to be cranked to get the crunch really going tonewise.

Offworld92 01-15-2013 01:49 PM

Keep in mind that if you're planning on using a lot of FX, you're going to have to mod any old (pre-2010 I think) Mesas, because they have parallel loops that don't play nice with FX.

The new Rectifier "Reborn", Roadster and Road King II are all fair game for plug and play.

DarthV 01-15-2013 02:16 PM

Quote:
I was also thinking along the lines of an AXE-FX 2, but I don't think $3k in total with the MFC is plausible for me.

Look at it's competitor, the Kemper KPA? Could do the KPA + midi controller + powered cab/wedge/whatever for $3k. Or a used AxeFX Ultra + goodies.

As for effects, you'll get better quality effects with good pedals, but the trade off is the foot tap dancing to turn on/off the right ones :P I'm not huge into effects, so I'd choose ease of use :P I'm using a POD HD500 as a midi controller for my KPA. At least until Kemper comes out with their foot controller.

LaidBack 01-15-2013 05:31 PM

For post-rock/hard rock/metal I use a Mesa F-50 (discontinued) and a pedalboard. Great cleans, great drive. I also use a Laney GH50L when I'm feelin' a little bit British. I've also got an Ampeg V2 in the shop getting fixed up. So for ambient stuff...you can use anything really. I get great tones out all of those and they are all very different amps.

If you can try and nail the tone of 3 bands, what bands would they be?

gumbilicious 01-15-2013 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
So this is out of the running?

http://www.cecamps.com/main/amplifiers/brigand/

If you can afford that ^, buy it.

you beat me to it.

it should be in the running. that thing is redic. unfortunately he won't find one used unless he kills an owner.

emerald876 01-15-2013 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaidBack
For post-rock/hard rock/metal I use a Mesa F-50 (discontinued) and a pedalboard. Great cleans, great drive. I also use a Laney GH50L when I'm feelin' a little bit British. I've also got an Ampeg V2 in the shop getting fixed up. So for ambient stuff...you can use anything really. I get great tones out all of those and they are all very different amps.

If you can try and nail the tone of 3 bands, what bands would they be?

For the different genres,

Post-Rock - Explosions in the Sky/Godspeed You! Black Emperor
Djent - Periphery
Metal - Parkway Drive or Killswitch Engage