UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   Musician Talk (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Chord question (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1582769)

Frettor 01-14-2013 12:25 PM

Chord question

What happens when i remove a perfect fifth, or a major third intervals from my chords? Ex:I want to fret the chord D5+/7/4/6 from the fifth fret, i dont have any perfect fifth intervals "left". Does the chord still stay a D? I mean, if its composed of major third, and a perfect fifth, and the fifth is taken off - what does it become?

p.s: Sorry if thats how i write chord numbers. Thats how my teacher taught me.

mdc 01-14-2013 12:47 PM

Yeah that's pretty ****ed up lol. Are you studying classical guitar? Is that meant to be figured bass?

Are there any decent guitar teachers in your area?

TheLlamaMan 01-14-2013 12:53 PM

The fifth degree of a chord is implied through the other notes, and as a result it is actually the least essential note in terms of determining the quality of a chord. Because minor, major, and dominant chords all contain a perfect fifth, all it does is provide some stability to the chord.

The third degree (along with the seventh, which is often omitted in popular music), however, is essential in determining the quality of the chord as it differentiates between major and minor. This said, your chord will still work without the third (as sus chords do), you just won't be able to call it either major or minor.

Hopefully that helped.. If you found any of that too confusing just let me know and I can try to put it in simpler terms. Also, I'm not really sure how to read the chord you posted.. it looks like it already has a fifth in it, but I can't tell if I'm reading it correctly.

food1010 01-14-2013 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frettor
D5+/7/4/6
Wha...? :wtf:

Get a new teacher.

Deadds 01-16-2013 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by food1010
Wha...? :wtf:

Get a new teacher.

haha yup.

That chord:

D5+7/4/6

is just a Major13 without the 3rd and the 9th. 1 - 5 - 7 - 11(11=4) - 13(13=6)

But the real problem in that notation is that it doesn't explain what type of extensions does your teacher want.

It should be written somewhat like this:

Dmajor13(no3rd no9th +11th)

the reason i used "+11th" is because the 11th is traditionally omitted in major13 chords to prevent dissonance with the 3rd, which is why the 11th(the 4) is there and not the 3rd.

So... yeah... get a new teacher.

food1010 01-16-2013 01:10 PM

Or you could just write it as a Dmaj13. Unless the music calls for a very precise voicing, it's assumed that you can omit notes.

Actually, if there's a 4th and no 3rd, that would be a suspended chord (Dmaj13sus).

In fact, there's no other logical way to name that chord.

Dmaj13sus.

AeolianWolf 01-16-2013 02:35 PM

Gmaj9(#11)/D?

function is everything.