UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   Electric Guitar (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Gibson Les Paul Custom.. which one? (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1582780)

uglycustoomer 01-14-2013 01:25 PM

Gibson Les Paul Custom.. which one?

Greetings all!

I am a Gibson Les Paul fanboy and will always be. Currently looking to purchase a Gibson Custom Les Paul but not sure the difference between one from 1979 or 2013.

I currently have a Studio from 2002 and it sounds awesome but my dream guitar is an alpine white custom.

So, being that i am looking to purchase the ultimate guitar, what should i be looking for? I play more alternative music but a gibson is very versatile and i believe can play any type of music.

Some guide lines, it must be alpine white and it MUST have an ebony fretboard.

I am always hearing rumors that gibson's made after the year 2002 are crap. People mention that the wood is just not the same.

Please help!

Thanks!

T00DEEPBLUE 01-14-2013 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uglycustoomer
Some guide lines, it must be alpine white and it MUST have an ebony fretboard.

The current ones are richlite, so if you want ebony, get one from the 70's.
Quote:
I am always hearing rumors that gibson's made after the year 2002 are crap. People mention that the wood is just not the same.

They're full of shit.

WholeLottaIzzy 01-14-2013 01:33 PM

Alpine White Customs are badass. Ignore the year, just go and play a bunch if you can. I'm not sure on what years are "the good years" but there are gunna be incredible guitars made every year regardless of the date. There are even probably some '59s out there that are only as good as a modern standard. You're gunna get guitars that really shine in every model of every year and you'll also get bad ones that are made in every model of every year.

uglycustoomer 01-14-2013 03:40 PM

So this guitar on musiciansfriend.com is listed as having an Ebony fretboard

[forbidden link]

and then is one marked as "private reserve" not sure what that means with a richlite finger board.

[forbidden link]

so they still do make ebony boards...?

Thanks for the replies guys. All these titles as private reserve, special edition, re-issue are really throwing me off. I just want a Gibson Custom Alpine white with no special title. hah

uglycustoomer 01-14-2013 03:42 PM

[forbidden link] n sfr iend.com/guitars/gibson-custom-les-paul-custom-electric-guitar/517110000026000 (private reserver richlite finger board)

[forbidden link] n sf riend.com/guitars/gibson-custom-les-paul-custom-limited-edition-color-electric-guitar/h74916 (ebony finger board)

Just put the spaces together

RockGuitarist09 01-14-2013 05:19 PM

Quote:
So this guitar on musiciansfriend.com is listed as having an Ebony fretboard

[forbidden link]

and then is one marked as "private reserve" not sure what that means with a richlite finger board.

[forbidden link]

so they still do make ebony boards...?

Thanks for the replies guys. All these titles as private reserve, special edition, re-issue are really throwing me off. I just want a Gibson Custom Alpine white with no special title. hah

Since the US government raided them, they've had to stop using ebony AFAIK, and replace it with richlite.

gregs1020 01-14-2013 06:00 PM

they're back to using ebony.

i'd personally just get a used 2000-2008.

FatalGear41 01-14-2013 07:04 PM

Any Les Paul Custom with a Richlite fretboard is going to be a very recent one. Most of the Customs in the stores right now have ebony fretboards. You should be able to tell just by looking at it. Ebony will have grain and some pores; Richlite will not.

New Gibsons are just fine. In the mid-1970s, Gibson changed hands so many times that quality control suffered terribly. But by about '78 or '79, they had gotten most of the problems resolved. Now, the newer Les Pauls will have the traditional "dished out" carved top, whereas the ones made in the 1970s will have only a "domed" carved top. Personally, I like the "dished out" carved top.

Unless there is an old Les Paul Custom with which you have fallen madly in love, I'd focus on a newer model. Just be sure which model it is. A lot of the current Les Paul Custom guitars are reissue versions of the old "Black Beauty / Fretless Wonder" and they are made of solid mahogany, rather than a mahogany body and a carved maple top. Make sure you are getting the version that you want.

Good luck with your search! You really can't go wrong with a Les Paul Custom.