UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   Electric Guitar (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Strats for Metal (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1582829)

brenthinds 01-14-2013 06:52 PM

Strats for Metal
 
I have read some reviews about the Fender Standard Stratocaster and i have seen many people say that its great for everything but metal. Of course it is a single coil so it probably wouldn't be as good as humbuckers but daron malakian used one with stock pickups on system of a down's first album. I want to know others experiences with it for metal.

FatalGear41 01-14-2013 06:58 PM

You might want to look up a guy named Yngwie Malmsteen. He seems to have done well in metal with a Strat.

Mephaphil 01-14-2013 06:59 PM



Jim Root Strat. EMG Single Coils could work. Also, plus I've seen some metal bands use single coils in a Strat

Kirk Hammett for one. So I'd say pretty good!

I'm not too sure how much tone the guitar has to do with it when you chuck ultra high output EMGs in it, I don't think it's that much.

monwobobbo 01-14-2013 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brenthinds
I have read some reviews about the Fender Standard Stratocaster and i have seen many people say that its great for everything but metal. Of course it is a single coil so it probably wouldn't be as good as humbuckers but daron malakian used one with stock pickups on system of a down's first album. I want to know others experiences with it for metal.


define metal in your book. i play strats with single coils and play metal however or me that means say Judas Pries from the 70s to early 80s. my main strat has Lace Sensor pickups which have more balls (blue in the bridge on mine) yet retain the positives of the single coil sound. i have another strat that has regular singles as well. check the song Valley Of Gwangi in my profile for an exampe of metal using strats.

IronMark666 01-14-2013 07:43 PM

It depends what kind of metal you're talking about really. Dave Murray and Janick Gers of Iron Maiden use Strats 99% of the time, albeit with stacked humbuckers in single coil slots (the Dave Murray signature Strat with the two humbuckers is based on a model he hasn't played for years) but obviously Maiden's tone isn't as chunky as more modern metal bands. I play a lot of metal on my Strat, the bridge humbucker is a Duncan Pearly Gates which isn't really much of a metal 'bucker but I love the tone I get out of it. I've never really attempted anything heavier than old school heavy metal in standard tuning with a Strat so beyond that I can't help but it's perfectly possible to play metal with a Strat.

romeozdistress 01-14-2013 07:44 PM

its really mostly amp. on high gain amps you can get brutal with fender single coils.

W4RP1G 01-14-2013 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monwobobbo
define metal in your book


This. If you play drop C metal core or something, then a stock strat just might not cut it. If you are big on 8 finger tapping or something, then the action on a strat might not do for you. Personally, I like my action really freaking low, too low for the 9" radius(I think) of a strat.

JustRooster 01-14-2013 08:02 PM

Who cares about opinions. If you like the way it plays and the sound, play it. I'm tired of having this "Strats can't do metal" discussion when they obviously can.

monwobobbo 01-14-2013 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRooster
Who cares about opinions. If you like the way it plays and the sound, play it. I'm tired of having this "Strats can't do metal" discussion when they obviously can.


agree.

oh and for the record most modern strats have a 9.5" radius which doesn't facilitate super low action as well as the flatter radius' found on guitars like ibanez.

dannyalcatraz 01-14-2013 08:07 PM

Quote:
my main strat has Lace Sensor pickups which have more balls (blue in the bridge on mine)


"Blue Balls on the Bridge" sounds like a good name for an AC/DC song...

Clay-man 01-14-2013 08:21 PM

It's all subjective. The reason why stats aren't deemed for metal nowadays is because all of the current metal bands want chunky fat sounds, but I really don't see what's the problem with a bright high gain sound if it sounds good.

W4RP1G 01-14-2013 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay-man
It's all subjective. The reason why stats aren't deemed for metal nowadays is because all of the current metal bands want chunky fat sounds, but I really don't see what's the problem with a bright high gain sound if it sounds good.

That's definitely not the reason why.

Dave_Mc 01-14-2013 08:37 PM

^ +1

I really hate all these anti-bandwagon bandwagons...

can you absolutely definitely not use a (vintage spec) strat for metal? of course not, you can use what you like.

Does that mean a (again, vintage spec) strat is ideal, or even good, for metal? (at least, in most metal players' opinions) Nope.

I play 80s hard rock and metal mainly, I'm not playing brootz or anywhere close, and I wouldn't want to use a (vintage spec) strat for the metal I play.

halfj06 01-14-2013 08:45 PM

Get a noise gate for sure

LP1951 01-14-2013 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Mc
^ +1

I really hate all these anti-bandwagon bandwagons...

can you absolutely definitely not use a (vintage spec) strat for metal? of course not, you can use what you like.

Does that mean a (again, vintage spec) strat is ideal, or even good, for metal? (at least, in most metal players' opinions) Nope.

I play 80s hard rock and metal mainly, I'm not playing brootz or anywhere close, and I wouldn't want to use a (vintage spec) strat for the metal I play.


+1

The question is Why try to use a standard strat when there are so many SuperStrat options available? :confused:

Dave_Mc 01-14-2013 08:52 PM

yeah

now- it's absolutely a different matter if you only play metal 5% of the time and a strat is perfect for you the other 95% of the time. In that case damn straight try to make the strat work.

But if you're mainly playing metal and you're pigheadedly trying to prove the consensus wrong...

W4RP1G 01-14-2013 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Mc
^ +1

I really hate all these anti-bandwagon bandwagons...

can you absolutely definitely not use a (vintage spec) strat for metal? of course not, you can use what you like.

Does that mean a (again, vintage spec) strat is ideal, or even good, for metal? (at least, in most metal players' opinions) Nope.

I play 80s hard rock and metal mainly, I'm not playing brootz or anywhere close, and I wouldn't want to use a (vintage spec) strat for the metal I play.

+2

And I wonder how many of the people who swear strats are great for metal would go out and buy a Schecter Hellraiser FR for playing the blues....

Dave_Mc 01-14-2013 09:03 PM

another very valid point. I don't like to generalise too much, but it seems to me that a fairly significant percentage of those who claim strats (or teles, or whatever) are absolutely fine for metal *don't actually play all that much metal*. Which explains a lot, if you ask me. I'd be the first to admit that you probably shouldn't listen to my opinions regarding what makes for a good blues tone, or a good jazz tone, or a good grunge tone... but that cuts both ways.

LP1951 01-14-2013 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by W4RP1G
+2

And I wonder how many of the people who swear strats are great for metal would go out and buy a Schecter Hellraiser FR for playing the blues....


:haha:

Or use BC Rich Warlock for Country?

W4RP1G 01-14-2013 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Mc
I'd be the first to admit that you probably shouldn't listen to my opinions regarding what makes for a good blues tone, or a good jazz tone, or a good grunge tone... but that cuts both ways.

Me too. I dabble in the blues, but I would not consider myself knowledgeable enough about it to give advice on the matter.

I also find it funny when people are quick to say "I play metal fine on my strat" when they haven't even defined what they play at all. Anyone can chunk out some power chords in Drop D/C on any guitar with high gain and sound metal. But when you start getting into things like 8-finger tapping and sweep tapping, having things like low action and 24 frets suddenly make things a helluva lot more easy!


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:58 PM.

Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.