UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   Guitar Techniques (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Why Not Just Always Tune to D Standard and Use A Capo? (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1582929)

Tmusician 01-15-2013 09:32 AM

Why Not Just Always Tune to D Standard and Use A Capo?

People seem to waste a lot of time tuning their guitar to alternate tunings, but often it will be from E standard to Eb standard or something like that.

Why not have your guitar always tuned to D Standard, and keep a capo to quickly go to Eb and E standard? I mean this seems like a simple idea but I think it's a good one and nobody seems to do it.

farmosh203 01-15-2013 10:16 AM

Because having two guitars is easier and cooler.

Zaphod_Beeblebr 01-15-2013 10:17 AM

Because you lose two notes at the top.
Because the open strings have a different tone to fretted once unless you have a zero-fret.
Because the string tension is different, even with the right strings.
Because E is standard tuning and guitar notation is written that way.

It's a fine idea if it works for you but it's not something that would work for everyone, I don't actually know of that many bands or guitarists who switch around tuning that much unless they're playing material from different albums and so on.

Also this isn't a technique so this is the wrong forum for this post.

*reported*

Petzakecske 01-15-2013 10:47 AM

I do this, but only because I can't affor more than one guitar. I switch between D Standard and Drop C, and with a capo it covers all I need. :)

Tmusician 01-15-2013 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Because you lose two notes at the top.
Because the open strings have a different tone to fretted once unless you have a zero-fret.
Because the string tension is different, even with the right strings.
Because E is standard tuning and guitar notation is written that way.

It's a fine idea if it works for you but it's not something that would work for everyone, I don't actually know of that many bands or guitarists who switch around tuning that much unless they're playing material from different albums and so on.

Also this isn't a technique so this is the wrong forum for this post.

*reported*

lol! This whole forum has way too many sub-forums. Which one should this be in? The Electric Guitar or Acoustic Guitar or Guitar Gear & Accessories or Musician Talk?

LiquidSkies 01-20-2013 06:52 AM

Because then you still won't be able to play songs in minor third down tuning! :)

GaryBillington 01-20-2013 07:06 AM

I've heard of people doing it :shrug:

If it works for you, go for it

Freepower 01-20-2013 10:50 AM

Quote:
Why not have your guitar always tuned to D Standard, and keep a capo to quickly go to Eb and E standard? I mean this seems like a simple idea but I think it's a good one and nobody seems to do it.

But what if you still have to go down a semitone? :p:

I have a friend who keeps his guitar in D standard with a capo on 2. Some people do it. I also have no idea what forum to put this in. Maybe musician talk, seeing as its mainly about transposition... :shrug: