UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   Guitar Gear & Accessories (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   new speakers for my splawn 4x12? (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1583013)

Bladed-Vaults 01-15-2013 07:13 PM

new speakers for my splawn 4x12?

Well I have a splawn 4x12 and at the moment. It has small blocks and texas heats in an X

the texas heats have a bit too much twangy sizzle on the top end (wasnt a dime tone fan shoot me)

I would like to swap them for something more lowmid/bass

I was thinking v30s but im open to suggestions.

obviously I play metal. I like a good tight bass frequency... gimme dem Br00tz

Cathbard 01-15-2013 07:26 PM

K100's

AxSilentxLine 01-15-2013 07:30 PM

+1 on the K100's

They have larger bass and rolled off highs while still being nice and tight. K100/V30 is my fave combo

Bladed-Vaults 01-15-2013 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
K100's

will that work well with the small blocks?
only k100s ive ever heard were a full 4 loaded cab.
sounded hollow to me

AxSilentxLine 01-15-2013 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bladed-Vaults
will that work well with the small blocks?
only k100s ive ever heard were a full 4 loaded cab.
sounded hollow to me

That's probably a good analysis that's why they're great paired with a middy speaker like a V30 to accentuate the growl. As far as small blocks/K100 go I have no experience with the small blocks sorry

gumbilicious 01-15-2013 07:48 PM

Quote:
wasnt a dime tone fan shoot me

:rolleyes:

:facepalm:

bad pun is bad... or unintentional
Quote:
the texas heats have a bit too much twangy sizzle on the top end

I would like to swap them for something more lowmid/bass

I was thinking v30s but im open to suggestions.

obviously I play metal. I like a good tight bass frequency... gimme dem Br00tz

if you think the texas heats have too much sizzle then maybe the V30 might not be for you as the V30 has quite a bit of a spike in the mids. then again, if you still want some of that characteristic the V30 might be a little more subtle and meet your needs.

if you want something with low mid/bass then the K-100 is still quite valid, it provides what you are asking for. also, being mixed with another speaker might balance out what you don't like about the speaker.

i use a eminence swamp thang it is adds a bit of body to my cabinet. also a weber gray wolf sounds like it may meet your needs.

my honest advice is to just start playing as many speakers as possible, really getting the speaker you'll be happy with is a personal journey. good luck

BCKRedBaron 01-15-2013 07:49 PM

Small Blocks don't have the upper-mid spike that V30s do, so they're not as harsh by themselves. Right now I'm using a Small Block/V30 x pattern in my 412. The low end stays tight but still has some good midrange growl.

But anyways, back to TS's original question, V30s are tight, but they have some of that sizzle you're wanting to get rid of (^Ninja'd). K100s, as you can see, get recommended often here. You might also check out G12T75s.

I have a question for you: what amp are you using thru this cab?

mmolteratx 01-15-2013 07:54 PM

V30s are definitely not what you want. Pretty subdued bass/low mids in favor of a strong high mid emphasis. Lots of sizzle and graininess. The K-100 might do what you want. Never tried mine with my Creambacks.

Bladed-Vaults 01-15-2013 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCKRedBaron
Small Blocks don't have the upper-mid spike that V30s do, so they're not as harsh by themselves. Right now I'm using a Small Block/V30 x pattern in my 412. The low end stays tight but still has some good midrange growl.

But anyways, back to TS's original question, V30s are tight, but they have some of that sizzle you're wanting to get rid of (^Ninja'd). K100s, as you can see, get recommended often here. You might also check out G12T75s.

I have a question for you: what amp are you using thru this cab?

I use 3 different amps one for each band. all are techinal metal bands
1 egnater vengeance -6 string in drop c
1 5153- 7 string down a half
1 diamond nitrox- 7 string standard

to be quite honest Im not entirely sure what the small blocks sound like on their own This is the first cab ive owned with them. To make this more confusing now It might be those im not diggin.

ikey_ 01-15-2013 09:17 PM

you have knocked out eminence....so the other other logical choice is WGS

Dave_Mc 01-16-2013 08:33 AM

THs are pretty chunky in the bass... if they're not bassy enough... :shrug:

granted they may well have completely the wrong tone for what you want (and you also have them combined with greenbacky speakers which will massively affect the overall tone)... but yeah.

EDIT: are you sure it's the THs and not the small blocks you don't like? THs combined with swamp thangs might be worth considering. granted pretty american-sounding.

Blktiger0 01-16-2013 12:53 PM

If you have the stuff to mic up your amp and record clips, why don't you record each of the two speakers in your cab on it's own, and see which one it is that you aren't digging?

Once you do that, it'll make it easier to decide what you need :haha:

If you don't like too much upper-mid sizzle, I would go for WGS Retro 30's and Celestion K-100's (or K-85's, which are basically identical) in an X pattern, since you don't know which speaker is the problem.

FWIW, I have the Retro 30's in my 2x12 with my Vengeance, and I love them. Nice tight bass with plenty of mids to cut through, but instead of an upper-mid spike like V30's, they have more of a middle-mid emphasis. Then, using the Density control on the Vengeance, you can dial in a little bit more Lower-Mid Growl and Bass. (I'm with you on digging that kind of tone, btw :p: ) I personally want a cab with V30's and K-100's in an X to achieve that specific tone, but judging from my past experiences with V30's, those might get sold and swapped for Retro 30's.

Also, with the other two amps you use, Veteran 30's might be better for you. Basically, Vet30's are darker and Ret30's are brighter. The Ret30's are probably closer to the V30, but they still don't sound nearly as harsh.

Van Noord 01-16-2013 04:27 PM

Eminence V12 Legends are what you want.

-Big & tight lows
-Punchy low mids
-Subdued treble

Dave_Mc 01-16-2013 05:03 PM

good call

only concern being they only seem to be easily available in 8 ohms impedance, and his existing speakers might not be 8 ohms.

Bladed-Vaults 01-16-2013 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Mc
good call

only concern being they only seem to be easily available in 8 ohms impedance, and his existing speakers might not be 8 ohms.

splawns are 8 ohm mono cabs XD

yeah i did a bit of research and im thinkin it may possibly be the small blocks im not diggin

and yes blktiger I dig that low mid/bass. the stuff you feel in your chest,

seems witch ever i decide to replace I will be goin that vet30 or the k100s

ill mic each speaker and figure out where my high end is so harsh and yank those. and let yall know from there witch it is ill be needing to replace so we can figure whats a good combo.

Robbgnarly 01-16-2013 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Mc
good call

You can get the 16 ohm version from Krank for $69+$8.99 S&H.

Dave_Mc 01-17-2013 07:55 AM

^ i didn't realise that, thanks for the info :cheers:

Quote:
(a) splawns are 8 ohm mono cabs XD

(b) yeah i did a bit of research and im thinkin it may possibly be the small blocks im not diggin

(c) and yes blktiger I dig that low mid/bass. the stuff you feel in your chest,

seems witch ever i decide to replace I will be goin that vet30 or the k100s

ill mic each speaker and figure out where my high end is so harsh and yank those. and let yall know from there witch it is ill be needing to replace so we can figure whats a good combo.

(a) if it's wired series/parallel (probably is, but check to be sure) that'd mean the speakers are 8 ohms each

(b) yeah- definitely do the micing thing you mentioned at the bottom of your post to be sure. also make sure your speakers are broken in before you make your decision, you could be spending money for nothing :haha

(c) if you want lows mids and bass i wouldn't go for something based on a v30... i haven't tried the vet30 but the v30 is all upper mids.

Robbgnarly 01-17-2013 08:16 AM

^^ Yeah I have found some unique items in the strangest places. Ib the USA you can get V30s cheaper from Mesa direct than you can in a store ($129 and they are $149 typically)

Dave_Mc 01-17-2013 09:03 AM

:haha

and aren't the mesa ones made in the UK, too? I think they're (maybe) a slightly different spec and tone, so I suppose if you want "regular" v30s then the celestion way is probably the way to go... but certainly on principle those mesa ones sound like much better value :haha :cheers:

Blktiger0 01-17-2013 04:29 PM

When I suggested the WGS clones, I mentioned that he can use the Density control on his Vengeance to dial in that lower-mid growl. It doesn't take much, and I went with the brighter of the two (the Ret30) It's mid spike is more in the middle of the mids. That also went along with suggesting that he use them in an X with K-100's :haha: